Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 07-18-2001, 06:28 AM   #21
Neal
Founding Member

Default Re: Yahoo News Debuts Harley V-Rod

Ever stop to think that many HD riders dont frequent those sites.I think the protesters are a highly vocal minority.Im old enough to remember when "purists"didnt like the shovel replacing the pan or the evo replacing the shovel .I(a 30 year HD rider)for one am excited about the new motor.I have stated that my next bike would not be a harley if they didnt come up with a better powerplant----if they put this in a touring bike(Electra glide like),I will buy.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-18-2001, 06:37 AM   #22
Neal
Founding Member

Default Re: Think Long-Term

Exactly.....the Buell,Vr1000 and now the vrod are all part of a strategy to develope a new base to replace the aging baby boomers who make up most of their current market and thus survive into the next century.I expect a new Buell motor, touring versions of theVrod and an improved race effort to follow.You dont have to like HD but you gotta admire their marketing expertise.....of course if the Vrod doesnt work any better than the Vr1000 and the Buell with a sportster motor HD may be in trouble.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 06:46 AM   #23
TonyC
Founding Member

"Would anyone here say that BMWs and Moto Guzzis are geared toward speed?"

If we are comparing them to traditional Harleys, I would say yes. They have brakes that work. Frames that have at least been tested at speed. Some thought given to aerodynamics. None of this can be said of a Harley.

Do Ducatis have style? Of course they do. But their function in life is (hopefully) to be more than stylish. A Harley's function is to look good. All else is secondary.
TonyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 06:59 AM   #24
hdpetey
Founding Member

John you need to consider that the most Harley owners think their bikes handle, brake and accelerate well for their style of riding. If they wanted a different riding style their are many other bikes they could chose or they can always modify their bikes to suit personal tastes.

Peoples purchasing decisions are an accurate reflection of their tastes. Their taste may not compare well to your tastes. Thus, fortunately we have many brands, models and styles to chose from.
hdpetey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 07:14 AM   #25
tbuse
Founding Member

Default Re: Yeah, what

Mother quit breast feeding them too early.
tbuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 07:27 AM   #26
tbuse
Founding Member

"Urging its loyal denim and leather-clad riders to 'lean forward in the saddle' the Harley-Davidson Motor Company" is presumably preparing them for the reaming the dealers plan to give them on the price of the V-Rod. While I currently ride a Triumph, I've owner a number of Harleys and rather like them. I don't like the dealers though. I'm happy to see Harley expand it's line and come out with something new. The limited run is a brilliant idea. It keeps the number at a managable level so they can work on quality control, and also gives the bike a exclusiveness.
tbuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 07:32 AM   #27
AirCoolBMW
Founding Member

I think a BMW K1200RS that is designed to run for days (literally) at 160 mph is "geared" for speed. Dumbass.
AirCoolBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 08:27 AM   #28
Alexol
Founding Member

mmm, you sure it's a harley? it's got pipes on both sides and it's not an electra or road king

i'd say it's an intruder...

the joke's still good, though
Alexol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 08:27 AM   #29
das
Founding Member

Who new BMW owners were so sensitive?

The point that they were trying to make in the article was that the reason Harleys weren't selling so well in Europe was because they weren't fast enough. I know several BMW owners, but I don't think any of them bought their bikes because they had impressive acceleration or top speed numbers.

Did you?
das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 08:46 AM   #30
Rene
Founding Member

That is definitely an Intruder (1400, I think) Just goes to show you how "smart" "H-D ONLY" types can be...
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote