Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 07-17-2001, 02:28 PM   #11
uncleron
Founding Member

Default Re: Yahoo News Debuts Harley V-Rod

When I rode my old Ironhead XLCH, I got alot crap from neo-Harley riders because my bike was not a big twin, but all it took to shut them up was a twist of the throttle. The V-Rod will be like my Sportster, some people may mouth off about it, but when it comes time to put up or shut up I think the V-Rod will be able to silence its critics. The serious riders don't care nearly as much about what you ride as long as you do. The V-Rod seems like a great bike, but I can't wait to see what Buell will do with that motor.
uncleron is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-17-2001, 03:43 PM   #12
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Yeah, what's up with that?

In my few conversations I've had with Harley guys, there's some kind of mystical fascination with the "big twins". What's the big deal?

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 06:22 PM   #13
lesb
Founding Member

Amazing water cooled! Where does Harley get all this cutting edge technolgy. Never seen so much news, ( CNN, Local paper and someone else said on Discovery Channel.) on a company that is a century behind. I guess I will never get it. Other motorcycle companies make big advance and you never hear a word from outside the motorcycle news sources. Like I said before I do not get it and I am going to stop trying.
lesb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 08:20 PM   #14
schillhog
Founding Member

So, if you don't "get it", why are you reading Harley boards? And if you were, which ones?

Performance is only relevant to the degree that it enables, or enhances, your cycling experience. Its all a balance, my friend. I'd say the same to any of my Harley brethen, even those who see travesty in the V-Rod.
schillhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 11:01 PM   #15
ruralwales
Founding Member

This bike is undoubtedly a radical departure for the company that, more than any other, has traded on its heritage (translation: makes bike "like they used to be"). It's quite possibly a watershed for the company, but IMHO shouldn't be seen as cutting links with the past (they're not that daft) but having an extra string to the H-D marketing bow.

Look at the British bike industry - it was reluctant to change, to improve and compete, and it died. The new Triumph factory makes well styled watercooled machines, most of which owe more than a nod to their forbears, in styling at least. Mechanically they're far, far better.

The guys who moan about H-D deserting them need to realise that the company isn't made for them, that the world keeps turning. If companies listened to the old grouchers we'd never have central heating, colour TV, comfy, warm and reliable 4WD cars, the internet and so on. Life wasn't always better in the "good old days". This development path can only be good for H-D.
ruralwales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 11:58 PM   #16
marc
Founding Member

i've often said, "when harley builds a real motorcycle (stops, turns, goes), i'll buy another one". they got close with this one, but...feet forward frame with a race-bred engine? not my ideal yet, but lots of potential. perhaps they haven't just been counting all the money...the faithful will still buy the pre-restored classics. the ones who realize it is actually the 21st entury will be getting these machines. it is odd that the engine that struggles to get 10th place finishes on the track will probably win in the marketplace. i'll probably still end up on an aprilia.
marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 01:11 AM   #17
Sparky
Founding Member

Couldn't have said it better!

Not to mention it spoils the old arguement (when embroiled in a debate reerformance bike vs. harley) "I don't want or need that power, I'd probably kill myself".

If fundamentalist Harley riders embrace the VRod, then they'll probably kill themselves.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 03:32 AM   #18
FloridaSteve
Founding Member

Is it just possible maybe that one of the reason that the traditional Harley air cooled "purists" are upset is that if this bike actually catches on that the resale value of their overpriced-to-begin-with "investments" might drop like a stone..... just curious....
Old 07-18-2001, 04:23 AM   #19
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

People who buy Harleys for "investment" and know what they're doing are very few. Most people buy Harleys because they simply want one and the low depreciation is just one of the excuses they use to justify it. But many of them spent *way* too much for their bike and thus are obliged NOT to like anything that seems offers more for the same money. They will like it better after the dealers start adding vaseline tax to it.

As for long-term, note that Meriden Triumphs in cherry condition now sell for far more than they ever did new, sometimes fetching higher prices than new Hinckleys that are light-years ahead of them. Same will be true for Harleys (TC88's are way ahead of shovels, panheads & knuckleheads but sure hasn't hurt resale of the old ones).
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 05:05 AM   #20
NickdaBrick
Founding Member

Default Think Long-Term

I don't think the new Harley is primarily a short-term attempt to expand HD's customer base. I think it is the opening volley in their campaign to survive as a motorcycle manufacturer. Tightening noise and emissions regulations will eventually mean the end of the air-cooled pushrod twin. "Sorry, Knucklehead, old boy. You've been a good and faithful friend for lo these many years, and you've been with me in good times and bad. But now I'm going to have to take you behind the barn and shoot you in the head."
NickdaBrick is offline   Reply With Quote