Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 05-10-2001, 10:02 AM   #1
Lincoln
Founding Member

Default time for a change

harley has to get new people in charge of their racing program - plain and simple. i'm so tired of my own country's sole representative to motorcycle racing being the butt of jokes.
Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-10-2001, 10:24 AM   #2
hamatsu
Founding Member

Default Re: time for a change

If you think they're the butt of jokes now, wait till they try and compete on the World level in GP's. Man, you haven't heard anything yet.
hamatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 10:52 AM   #3
MoMo
Founding Member

is that still just a rumor or is HD actually going to attempt a Grand Prix effort?
MoMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 11:12 AM   #4
Gixxerboy
Founding Member

Harley needs to face the fact that, even though in their distant past they had some 'race' bikes, they are a cruiser company. They've no go fast technology or manufacturing experience. Triumph can't build first tier race bikes and they've got all new equipment. Heck, Harley's still proud of their overhead valves and (wow) overhead cams!!!!

Give up, Harley, even your drag race bikes are 90 percent aftermarket pieces!

Gixxerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 11:23 AM   #5
hindle
Founding Member

Harely will never be successful in road racing until they build a road racing customer base. Until then there will never be any real motivation for Harely to do well.

Had they came out with some real street bikes to put out on the street at a resonable price and started to build a base to work from then they would have a reason to race and win. Right now what do they have to gain from winning an AMA race or championship outside of pride? Not a damn thing. They are just wasting their money and time.

Personally I think Harely is going about this ass backwards but what the hell do I know.
hindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 11:36 AM   #6
Sunder54
Founding Member

Default Possible correction on the race stats

Didn't Yates crash out 2 or 3 laps from the end of the race?
Sunder54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 12:14 PM   #7
lazy1
Founding Member

Default Re: H-D Continues VR1000 Rebuilding Effort

in these days of runaway technology and the costs asscociated with winning races, HD is just hoplessly outclassed. Their streetbikes don't even resemble the bikes they're racing so there's not even any halo effect at the dealership monday morning.

ironically, they've probably got enough in the war chest to put together a competitive team if their hearts were really in it, but their committment is only talk, sad to say.

i just don't think there's a way for them to justify what it would cost for a sportbike with HD on the tank to win, when they don't even sell sportbikes (and don't start harping on me about BUELL---that's a sportbike chassis with a cruiser engine---what an absurd idea)

i believe it's time for them to hang up their racing effort and just do what they do best: build cruisers. why should they pretend to be something they're not? what they are is quite remarkable enough.
lazy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 12:23 PM   #8
FloridaSteve
Founding Member

"11th and 15th respectively....... greater improvement must happen before the team reaches its competitive goals"

Can you say DUH!! I thought 11th and 15th... or just finishing WAS the goal!

Old 05-10-2001, 12:25 PM   #9
streetlegal
Founding Member

HD has always maintained that racing was _very_ important to them. It's important to their _identity_ not to their sales. Because they have the money (there's no doubt about that) they can spend a bazzillion dollars if that's what it's going to take for them to achieve their goal. The problem is, they don't know what to do, what to spend on, to get the results.

They have finally totally revised their race management this year. The former director is out, a new one is in, and they have an all new R&D group.

Previously, they closed their shop and went to the races. When they were on the road, nobody was developing anything new. Now they have a whole second operation that does nothing but develop new stuff. This is separate from the team that races.

However, the new effort has yet to produce any significant results -- on the track or on the bike in terms of parts.

People are watching to see if the revamped effort is going to produce a result or if they are just going to refluff the same ol same ol.

It seems to me like they need to give up some more of what they've held on to for so long in order to make progress.

There are a lot of people that would like to see them do well, but nobody is going to say "well yeah, 11th place but it's the only REAL superbike man. Made in USA. Yeah!"

No amount of chrome and BS can produce a race result.

streetlegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 12:35 PM   #10
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: Possible correction on the race stats

No, Yates crashed out of the 600 Supersport race, not the Superbike race.