Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 05-10-2001, 05:49 PM   #21
ttcaml
Founding Member

Default Re: H-D Continues VR1000 Rebuilding Effort

I thought HD was going to introduce a sportbike sometime in the future, it is a market segment they are missing out on big time. Aren't they also testing a liquid cooled v-twin? That motor, along with what they are learning from the VR1000, could make a competive sportbike which is *very different* form the Japenese sportbikes. I would buy such a bike, and I think there are other people out there who would too.

Or they could be useing what they are learning form the VR1000 to devlope better cruisers. Perhaps they see a day when the name will not be enough to sell bikes.

Maybe they are doing it just becaus so many people say they can not. Whatever the reason, _I_ think they can, and will, win in AMA Superbike.
ttcaml is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-10-2001, 06:13 PM   #22
torkmonster
Founding Member

Finally someone with more than half a brain!
torkmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 06:18 PM   #23
torkmonster
Founding Member

Default Re: time for a change

I suppose you have built several Superbike winning teams in your life right!

Old 05-10-2001, 06:23 PM   #24
torkmonster
Founding Member

The problem with all of you Harley bashers is that your the same type of people that used to cheer for the Bulls during the Jordan era. I bet you don't even watch the bulls anymore. Do You?!

I have been with Harley and will always be with Harley and I dread the day when they start winning and all you idiots come across the fence.

I know what your saying "Don't worry they never will win anyway so you will never see us".

I think the day will come and it is probably not too far off.

Of course then you will all say "They had to get ideas from so and so or help from hear or there"

Piss off.
Old 05-10-2001, 10:42 PM   #25
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

What Harley should learn from their efforts in racing is that: They cannot polish a turd.

They've only gotten their hands dirty trying.
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 10:50 PM   #26
springerman
Founding Member

Right-on torkmonster!

I think that it is great that Harley is compeating in superbike racing at all. Remember that they dont have to race to sell bikes, so they must be doing it for the fans and the history. It aint no secret that they are loosing money on it, so give them some credit, or if y'all could do better, than do it.
springerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2001, 01:52 AM   #27
torkmonster
Founding Member

You seem to be an authority at turd polishing so why don't you show them how it is dung.
Old 05-11-2001, 01:58 AM   #28
Copper
Founding Member

NEWSFLASH:

Aprilla has been racing for YEARS.
Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2001, 01:58 AM   #29
torkmonster
Founding Member

I seem to remember just as many Harleys as Ducatis in the top ten at Daytona this year.
Old 05-11-2001, 03:32 AM   #30
VR1000racer
Founding Member

As a race team owner on the FUSA circuit, we ran VR1000's with factory leased engines from Gemini, and also as the owner of Anthony Goberts ZX-7RR that we purchased from Muzzy and raced in 1996 & 1997 in conjunction with the VR1000, and as a friend of Erik Buell, Henry Duga, Gary Valine, Marty Brown, and a lot of other people at both Buell and HD, I think that I am reasonably qualified to speak on the VR1000, (and Buell) team.

1. In reference to Aprillia, Rotax, not Aprillia, builds the Aprillia 1000 engine.

2. It took Ducati, with decades of overhead cam engine racing history 5 years to win a superbike race with the 851/888/916/996, and 7 years to win its first championship. And that was done with a very large displacement advantage in a time that the disparity was very noticeable.

3. If HD were to go hire every jap bike engineer available, what would they learn other than competitive hiring practices?

4. As a VR1000 team owner, I had more than my share of complaints about the program. It was essentially 8 guys led by Steve Scheibe and Pete Mohar trying to beat a whole planetfull of GSXR teams out of an underfunded garage. While I personally don't care much for Scheibe, I do beleive in giving credit where credit is due, and they did acomplish a signifigant amount of work, given the resources that they had.

5. Don't knock the riders, Pascal and Mike. I know for a fact that the VR1000 that Miguel raced in 1994 had 107HP at the rear wheel. Yea. Miguel led several nationals, as did Fritz Kling on a bike with 107 HP at the rear wheel.

I think that with Steve Baker at the helm, and with the R&D arm of Ford and Cosworth backing them, that later this year, we will see some substantial gains made. I doubt that many of you are old enough to remeber Enzo pissing off Henry the 2nd and the resulting 427 development program with the GT40 Mk4 that eventually went on to win the FIA world championship against Ferrari in the late 60's.

From that personal slight, Ford know has the attitude of beat it until it breaks, fix it, do it again, until you can beat the hell out of all of them. I only hope that that attitude carries over into the VR program.

Also, don't be too impressed by the VTX 1800 making a 100 HP and 100 ft lb.s of torque from that engine. Granted, it was a brilliant marketing move by Honda, but I have seen 140 HP and 135 ft lbs. out of some of the much hated S&S motors that are of similar displacment.

Lastly, The Buell is a true sportbike, regardless of the engine. Don't forget, Ducati still builds the majority of its bikes without water in the engine either. And if you don't think it's not a real racebike, just ask the second place Ducati that was beaten at willow in the Pro Thunder race by one.

I do expect to see a competitive sport bike in your definition of the word from Buell in the next calander year.

Enough rambling, enjoy!

Mark L.

VR1000racer is offline   Reply With Quote