Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 04-12-2007, 12:08 AM   #11
Kreb_Cycle
Registered Member

Default Re: April is Check Your Helmet Month for Harley-Davidson

Grandmaster! You must remain hidden for the good of the order!
He was a fattish but active man of paralyzing stupidity, a mass of imbecile enthusiasms—one of those completely unquestioning, devoted drudges on whom, more even than on the thought police, the stability of the Party depended. - George Orwell _1984_
Kreb_Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-12-2007, 04:43 AM   #12
maladg
Registered Member

A tad late for an April's Fools Day yuck, don't cha think?

Or maybe the motor company thinks this might be a growth area? I can't wait to see that ad campaign!

maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 05:12 AM   #13
boru4761
Registered Member

Id like to withdraw my earlier sarcastic comments on this one. I actually went to the link on HD's site and found it to be mildly informative. Kind of like HDs new stand on their aftermarket pipes, it looks like HD is trying to do the right thing here and promote the safe and/or socially responsible option. Mind you they are positioning themselves to make some money off of it (with links to the helmet section of their catalog) but, they are still doing the right thing...

Besides, if anyone was going to get more helmets on the Harley crowd, it would have to be the Motor Company themselves.
boru4761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 05:40 AM   #14
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Just think if the "Big 4" became socially responsible and quit selling 150 hp racing bikes to 18-year-olds with zero ride time. But they can't do that, because that's exactly who they market them to, isn't it? Slap a helmet on em and everything is OK though. Sorry, but I never equated 'safe' or 'socially responsible' with wearing a helmet. I always figured that having skills and common sense would cover that. What do I know? I guess in the f&cked up PC world we now live in, wearing a helmet will somehow have to do. Too bad.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:47 AM   #15
Whatmough
Founding Member

You're right the only way to get more H-D riders to don helmets is for someone like H-D to tell them it's cool. Otherwise they'll just keep on lookin cool w/o their helmuts; but with those life saving sun glasses and doo rags.
Whatmough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 06:16 AM   #16
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

37 mile each way actually and yes I am among the founding members....a plank owner in Naval terms.

Oddly enough I just replaced my aging RF900 w/ mad graphics with a more staid black Shoei Multitec. After 10 years and a pretty serious get-off I figured it was due. I wanted to get a blue one to match my Suzuki and Triumph Explorer gloves but they were back ordered and I didn't want to wait.

So far the Multitec has worked out as a nice comfy quiet lid with the usual Shoei build quality, excellent venting and fit. Not cheap though, the best price I found was around $450 with shipping and all.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 06:28 AM   #17
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

It's a funny world, everyone bags on Harley as the epitome of evil when the fact is they're an American success story that pays a union based living wage and benifits package. Has a dealership and parts netwqork on virtually every street corner, offers unparralleded customer support at most dealerships, and is at the forefront of things like rider training and education, getting rid of the loud pipes, now encouraging helmet use and offering a line of their own.

So what if they make money off it, they are a business not a flippin' charity. try getting anywhere near the level of support from anyone else with the possible exception of BMW and maybe Triumph and Guzzi on a good day at the dealership level....

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 06:29 AM   #18
ejis
Founding Member

I'm thinking getting a flip up for commuting (occasionally the guards make me take off my helmet to make sure my picture really matches...) How does the Multitec's fit compare to the RF? The old Syncrotec fit me pretty well but the RF800 I had wasn't so good (Arai "rounds" are what I'm using now). Is the shield interchangeable with the RF?
ejis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 06:38 AM   #19
ejis
Founding Member

Yeah, but if someone who knew how to ride was on my bike he'd beat someone who knew how to ride on a Harley in some kind of race.
ejis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 06:38 AM   #20
Fenton
Founding Member

"Just think if the "Big 4" became socially responsible and quit selling 150 hp racing bikes to 18-year-olds with zero ride time."

I've heard they will even let "older" guys buy the fastest production bikes in the world. Sheesh
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote