Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Harley-Davidson News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/harley-davidson-news/)
-   -   Windscreen Question (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/harley-davidson-news/4340-windscreen-question.html)

needragonrn 03-08-2007 02:06 AM

Re: Windscreen Question

I just put a windscreen made by "Rifle" on my M109 Suzuki. The mountings are all high quality polished billet. The screen is adjustable for angle and height. They make several models. Check their website at www.Rifle.com. I'm six feet tall. If I raised mine to full height, I'd need to look through it rather than over it. It was expensive at 335.00, but I think I could ride through a tornado and that screen would do better than I would. Good luck, Alan.

Fenton 03-08-2007 03:29 AM

Check Wind Vest. They may be the OEM supplier, but the stuff I've seen looks to be well made.

Grum 03-08-2007 03:46 AM

I'm interested in exactly the same thing for my '06 FXD35. It's supremely comfortable up the the legal limit (100kph in Australia) but sustained touring above that speed is a strain.

I don't really like the look of faired bikes and the detachable screen from HD looks like a good compromisse. I'm 6' tall and would prefer to look over the screen rather than through it.

My Sportster Sport ('96) had lower, narrower bars and the forward lean made high speeds a lot more tolerable. My old Kawasaki K750Z ('81) had adjustable "Laverda" bars - like mild clip ons - and was terrific at whatever speed it would manage.

xlr8r 03-08-2007 04:11 AM

The old 'Convertible' screen that went on the Evo FXRS was good. I had one on a Sportster - the narrow glide front end is the same - and it provided such a huge pocket of still air that when I was riding through hard rain the only bits of me that got wet were my lower legs and feet (forward controls mean they were stuck out in the breeze a bit). I'm 6'4" and although I could see over the top (just), the airflow went right over the top of my head, so that I could ride with the visor of my helmet open. The clamps for this one are a bolt-on affair, with the screen itself attached by four socket-headed screws which are quite tricky to get to unless you make yourself a shorter allen wrench... but it might be what you're looking for.

pplassm 03-08-2007 04:49 AM

I hate the way windshields look on a bike. Just get lower bars and rearsets.

Wait, is this a Harley?

Troop 03-08-2007 05:37 AM

Another place to look is www.memphisshades.com I have a detachable Bigshot shield for my Kawa MeanStreak for long rides. It works well at upper speeds and comes off easily. Good luck in your search..

seruzawa 03-08-2007 05:46 AM

I've used National Cycle's plexifairings on numerous bikes and they've always done the trick.

sarnali2 03-08-2007 07:20 AM

I used the Harley OEM detachable Sport windshield on my '05 FXD and it worked pretty good. Still got some turbulance and noise but not too bad and it kept the wind and rain off my torso.

I've also used Slipstreamers on different Japanese bikes and they work very well. Not overly stylish but they can't be beat IMO for keeping warm and dry in nasty weather.

Buzglyd 03-08-2007 07:22 AM

H-D makes a "touring" windshield for your Dyna. It's more of a coke bottle shape rather than a flat cut like most windwhields.

I used it for 5 years on my Low Rider and found it was a lot less turbulent than the standard shields. It ain't pretty but then I didn't think any windshield was pretty.

I used the detachable hardware and never had a problem with it over 35,000 miles.

longride 03-08-2007 07:23 AM

I have a Slipstreamer Enterprise on the OldWing. Works great and I can take it off in 5 mins if I want.