Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 02-07-2007, 05:44 PM   #21
Fenton
Founding Member

Default Re: Local View of Harley Str

I'm not sure which magazine or date of issue had the part break-down on the Buell Ulysses. It was a nice pic of the bike with lines and country flags attached. Tires, wheels, frame, seat, FI, brakes, electronics, body panels....etc all listed from non-US sources. That is really telling from HDs most advanced bike line.

So will Harley send work off shore? Dunno. Will they buy off shore parts to assemble here? Yes for both buell and harley.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-07-2007, 08:24 PM   #22
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: They don't have to.. Hel

Good to hear you guys looking at long run and the big picture. My wifes side of the family is all union IAM well it used to be.. Out of 6 only one still has a job. The rest of the work was outsourced. They would love to have their jobs back.. I suspect if Harley put an ad in the newspaper lots of ex IAM would apply and go to PA to work for a great company like Harley.
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:28 PM   #23
ksquid
Banned

Yep you nailed (sorry I couldn't say it any other way)... My wifes relatives (union IAM with years with the company) were all making more than I was when I started out.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:29 PM   #24
ksquid
Banned

Good advice..
Old 02-07-2007, 08:36 PM   #25
ksquid
Banned

Default Maybe but what about?

There are some exceptions to the rule. Southwest Airlines and the Japanese automakers who have plants and union folks here. So I think you may be over generalizing (something I know a lot about).. There is a management component to some of those failures. Short-term profits and stock price over long term sustained growth is big one that American management has problems with. The political climate that state has towards business is key.. Republicans aren't always sympathetic to business. Sometimes they won't make the necessary investment in infrastructure to keep a business in their state i.e. they will give tax cuts instead of build roads to relieve congestion.. This is what has happened in WA state..
Old 02-08-2007, 01:50 AM   #26
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I don't think the Average Joe gives a crap about any of this. I see the Wal-Mart is full of cars every day, and they sell nothing but imported crap. If replacing the workers saves the buyer 500 bucks on his bikes he's all over it.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:19 AM   #27
maladg
Registered Member

So the union goons have PENSIONS? Gee, I haven't had a "pension" program in - oh, about 18 years.

Union defenders - keep on whinin'. Hopefully there is a mgmt job in your future!

Careful what you wish for.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 03:37 AM   #28
SRMark
Founding Member

Now this is more like America. Good old internal strife. There might be a few guys/gals sitting in the sand who think we've lost perspective though. Maybe they should put up a poster of the dead sons and daughters of Pennsylvania in that negotiation room. Maybe cooler heads will prevail.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 03:38 AM   #29
dorkboy
Registered Member

I'd gladly take a job tomorrow starting at over $18 per where the employer even offers health insurance at all.
dorkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 04:21 AM   #30
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Fast food workers?

You understand the term "entry level job?"

With unemployment as low as it is, many fast food joints are offering higher than minimum wage starting pay plus a bonus once you get hired.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote