Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 02-02-2007, 01:38 PM   #61
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

Default What Gov't Employee is that?

Not pay for health premiums? Not have reduced pensions? You must be thinking of different government worker in another country. CSRS is gone FERS is in. If you don't put into the TSP, same as 401K, you get practically nothing. All Federal employees that I know pay money for health care.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-02-2007, 01:38 PM   #62
findangle
Founding Member

Default Re: It's Official: Hoard the Hogs Now.

here here.. the company i've worked for has seen 9 ceo's in the 5 years that i've worked for.. the rest of management has been cycled several times more then that. the big joke around the office is "hey did you see those guys upstairs installing the revolving door?"

meanwhile the same dedicated set of "worker bees" have been holding that company together the whole time.. it's not been uncommon for the worker bees to completely ignore mgmt and its been very helpfull.

thankfully this round of management has decided to put the worker bees themselves in charge and our profitability has gone through the roof. not to mention the increase in moral and working conditions. we actually afforded a year end bonus for us all this year.
findangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:48 PM   #63
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: Not exactly

Great points. Our company doesn't allow you to go 100% I think they limit you to 20% if I remember right. Our profit sharing plan as I described elsewhere is one in where everyone participates (execs, managers like me, techies including engineers, as some other unions don't know about all).. It actually has become a really good thing. Folks think about asking if things are value added more than they used to. There is an index published on the internal web site that charts the days extra pay we will get if things continue as is...Folks watch it more than the stock price.. Back to work. Have to stay real late tonight..
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:54 PM   #64
ccmun
Founding Member

Yeah....Fire all those ungrateful worker bees...After all they can't afford to buy HDs anyway. How dare they threaten a venerable American company!!

Tell them to go work at Walmart!! Or better yet, ship them to Iraq for a tour or two... then reward them with Hyosung motorbikes...those unpatriotic losers.

ccmun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:58 PM   #65
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Default Re: Some clarification

That's known in certain circles as "A Bribe".
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 02:00 PM   #66
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: Some clarification

Good Catch!
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 02:06 PM   #67
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

You forgot to factor-in the 10+ hrs of O.T. every week, plus "Downtime line-usage" - where, if something gets run across your work-area while you're gone for the weekend (or on vacation) you still get paid...............
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 02:22 PM   #68
DonM
Founding Member

Default Thank-you Cheshire Scat

The problem with unions is that they perpetuate the antipathy between ownership and labor, while bleeding both sides of their money.

Truth is, management designs great motorcycles and labor makes those motorcycles a reality. Both take talent and skill to do it safely and at a cost low enough for the company to prosper.

Management and Labor should not let outside influences such as health care, politics, executive bonuses, union dues, time off with pay, and salary leveling, get in the way.

And as long as you brought up Iraq. God bless the troops.
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 03:00 PM   #69
bmayes
Founding Member

I have to admit that I am rather shocked at some of the responses to the HD strike. I will say up front that I am an engineer for a major computer company. Like most grey collar workers I am non-union.

If you look at the last 20 years you will see some rather amazing trends. Between 1990 and 1999 "workers" pay decrease in the area of 5% while CEO pay rose 400%. I have watched my benefits erode. My pay has NOT kept up with inflation, and the possibility of finding "other" employment become smaller as ever year passes. Congress has helped this situation by allow high tech companies to import lower cost workers on special visas. Under this program the company "owns" the workers visa so if he/she discovers they could make a lot of money and leave the company to pursue "other" opportunities they are deported.

HD through the assistance of its workers has made a MAJOR come back. The management team as well as the workers should be applauded. It seems that the management has gotten a bit greedy though and is starting to act like the robber barons of days of old (like the company I work for).

One contributor said that HD management was trying to "avoid" the mistakes of Ford and GM. I found that as a rather funny remark. Ford and GM are in trouble because of BAD management. They built shoddy products that fewer and fewer people want. When they actually had a hit product (like the original Taurus) they squandered the money on things like buying Jaguar.

I am glad the workers had the guts to strike. We need people that will help reverse the current trends in labor management!

By the way, I ride a Road GlideÂ….

bmayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 03:13 PM   #70
fumanchu
Founding Member

Ford and GM are in trouble because of BAD management.

...just like delta airlines. right before going into bankruptcy, the board voted to give themselves raises and upgraded pension packages. now, there are many pilots that can't even afford to give their kids a christmas, while the foul individuals responsible for running delta into the ground get to purchase yachts and estates in florida under protection of the homestead act. i love the united states, but things need to change before we bleed the middle class dry and become an antiquated, crumbling, corrupt economy like austria, france or italy.

i hope you're all registered to vote.