Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 02-02-2007, 11:45 AM   #51
acecycleins
Founding Member

Default Re: It's Official: Hoard the Hogs Now.

You're not management, eh?

Worker bees are still just worker bees. It's the guards (mgmt & execs) that keep the hive health. As soon as you come to grips with that, then strive to become management and see things from that side of the hive.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-02-2007, 11:46 AM   #52
ofreen
Registered Member

It is getting to be classic now that we all will be competing with people in third world countries for jobs. What do you do for a living, Dave?
ofreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 11:50 AM   #53
acecycleins
Founding Member

At $37,960 annual I can think of a few thousand people that would take that money. Suddenly, $18.25 hr doesn't sound like it sucks. Every MMI grad out there would start work for that money.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:58 AM   #54
ofreen
Registered Member

I guess if I was a guy like Robert Nardelli, I could see it management's way. You know, the guy who gets a 210 million dollar golden parachute while leaving shareholders holding the bag. I've been on both sides, smug person. I've too many management types just along for the ride, or in it for their own egos. I've seen too many non-performers propped up by superiors because they were just as bad. Hive health, what a laugh.
ofreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 12:08 PM   #55
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Default Re: Not exactly

"Did you elect your 401K options? Most employees of Fortune 500 businesses do. In almost every case there is an option that includes company stock. HD surely does the same thing. Enron made options manditory and that burned the employees. But HD stock has been steady or progressively earning for a decade plus. The 401K administrators surely know that "investing" in the company is good and therefore offer such an option."

So far as the Harley stock gaining for a decade - it's gained basically since its inception. Here's a Link to an exercise I posted awhile back on what $500 could do for you if invested properly.

My company used to have company-stock investment as one of their 401(k) options, but they dropped it. Mainly because of the Enron scandal, but partly because of the fact that there were, indeed some gung-ho "Company Man" fools that would invest their entire portifolio in that singularly.

The Poultry market is a bit too fickle to sink your entire future into that solely, and I saw one person lose 85% of the value of her portfolio when our stock took a dive a few years ago. It's not like she wasn't "warned away", as my company STRONGLY advised against 100% vestment in the Stock Fund.

But, I DO wish it was an option - in the last few weeks, I could have added $15,000-18,000 to the value of my account by "riding the wave" that has overtaken our stock lately. Luckily, I have company stock outside of that, so all is not lost.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 12:17 PM   #56
bowtydaddy
Registered Member

"If unions cleaned up their acts I'd have more sympathy for them. After all the union movement was vital in reigning the excesses of mangament in the 19th and early 20th centuries. But today's unions tolerate widespread incompetence and cronyism in their ranks." You could substitute "unions" with politician.

After 13 years of the AFL/CIO, I decided to start my own business, that was 21 years ago. Never Looked back. One thing good about Unions is thier pay scale sets the bar higher for non-union workers.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:28 PM   #57
findangle
Founding Member

Default Re: Some clarification

i believe on point 5 he was offering a signing bonus to the union for taking the deal.
findangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 12:32 PM   #58
DonM
Founding Member

Message to both sides:

This should never have gone public. Don't count on another Import Tariff to save your butts.

Get rid of the Union before they take your money and give it to Hilliary.
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 12:34 PM   #59
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: If Ewok was running HD he would

There may be some of that sentiment going on there.. Hope not..
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 12:36 PM   #60
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: Some clarification

Exactly ... it's amazing how adjusting that up front bonus can sell a 3-5 year deal.. Folks the rank and file, start thinking about a vacation, down payment on new highly discounted Ford SUV, etc.
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote