Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 02-01-2007, 09:24 AM   #81
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Possible Harley Strike

They could easily replace the whole work force with non-union labor, and keep it right here in the good ol USA, so I don't think that chip is as powerful as you may think.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2007, 09:30 AM   #82
ksquid
Banned

thanks...
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:48 AM   #83
Buzglyd
Founding Member

That's it right there, taxes! In our early years it was the damn gov't that almost put us out of business. Payroll taxes, corporate taxes, we didn't draw salaries for a year or more but the employees and the gov't got paid!

If the SS threshold goes up it's going to be hard to pay employees really well.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:52 AM   #84
seruzawa
The Toad

Too many people put their wealth in their driveway, in their closet and in their entertainment center....and then wonder why they can't get ahead. Why wait? Buy it now on credit! Why buy a Corolla? You NEED that Lexus. LOL!

The only person who is going to ensure you get ahead in life is you. If you rely on anyone esle to do it you are doomed.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:55 AM   #85
seruzawa
The Toad

Eventually someone will realize that the politicians who claim to care so much are the worst enemy of the average Joe. If you think it's hard to break out of the wage slave class now, just wait until you're being taxed for all that "free" healthcare"and mandated vacations and child leave... etc etc.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:21 AM   #86
TomSmith
Founding Member

If I was Harley, I's start negotiating with the folks in India that make Royal Enfield. Looks like a ready-made off shore manufacturing facility.
TomSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:44 AM   #87
acecycleins
Founding Member

They don't need to. They have a manufacturing deal with a Chinese company that assembles bikes in China for them. You guys in York reading this? Be careful or we will see Chinese Harleys. What's Chinese for Softail, anyway? Uttering the words "Full Dresser" in Mandarin would be equally interesting
Old 02-01-2007, 10:58 AM   #88
tripleripple
Founding Member

Location: Lightly Fortified Compound (apartment): Chicago, IL

If I was Harley I'd start negotiating with the millions of folks right in my backyard who would gladly work for what I was offering. Don't even have to change the "Made in the USA" engraving machine. (However, negotiating with non-unioners would probably get the Union Bosses to concede in oh, I don't know, the blink of an eye?)
tripleripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 11:03 AM   #89
SRMark
Founding Member

That certainly would work. It would also open a rather interesting can of worms. Given the bureaucracy of labor unions, it might not be to the detriment of the workers either. I'm no fan of current organized labor. It had its place in the past but, unfortunately, carrys a great deal of enertia with it today. Best management practices should make them obsolete but that is not so. Both sides certainly have their claims of wrong doing and neither side tends to believe the other. Sorta like the Dems and Reps. Pity.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 11:03 AM   #90
ksquid
Banned

I wonder how Southwest Airlines keeps the peace with their unions. Probably profit sharing and stock..
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote