Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 02-01-2007, 08:42 AM   #51
schizuki
Founding Member

Default Re: Possible Harley Strike

Don'tcha know it's a black/white world with easy answers?

Heck, this is the same guy who called the Democratic House of 1984 "conservatives."

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2007, 08:43 AM   #52
SRMark
Founding Member

Managers typically don't own the company. They work for the company just like everyone else. They just fall into the exempt bracket of wage earners. When the ownership deems one group of workers be paid much more than another group, it is easy to see how one group would become dissatisfied. I have no idea how much the various wage earners at Harley make. I'd just like to see and I'd start with the CEO.

My perspective is that managers exist to assure that those who deliver goods and services to customers are equipped with the assets and incentives they need to do their jobs to the satisfaction of their customers. Management functions as organizational connective tissue that allows products to move through that company's value chain. In essence, management is a support function to those activities that directly impact a company's inbound logistics, manufacturing processes and outbound logistics. It really doesn't help a situation to view any group of workers as a detriment to the organization. Hence my earlier comment about them being able to adopt an "us" perspective. Given the history of labor in that area and the fact that a labor union is in place, I don't think that will prevail and that is a shame.

SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:43 AM   #53
Kreb_Cycle
Registered Member

My degree cost the same as his.

Now what were you saying? Oh, those genius CEO's out there must have super high IQ's to rise to the top like they did. I bet they're really good at making their companies super productive.

They're also really good at shaking hands and sucking ****.

He was a fattish but active man of paralyzing stupidity, a mass of imbecile enthusiasms—one of those completely unquestioning, devoted drudges on whom, more even than on the thought police, the stability of the Party depended. - George Orwell _1984_
Kreb_Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:44 AM   #54
acecycleins
Founding Member

Just a small statement and I'll stop this thread:

Unions (when they were created originally) were there for the sole benefit of the "working man". That's understood. Now, Union Execs are paid unusually high salaries themselves- effectively looking as "greedy" as the Corperate Execs. We are a capitalist society- get use to it. At the same time, don't expect something for nothing. Our manufacturing society is evolving and salaries, benefits and perks must change with it. As lopsided as Corp Exec pay is, the fact is, that those men and women that make it to that level busted their a$$es to make it to that level. Wouldn't you want to be in that position? I do. I'm Not, however. But I aspire to be there one day. Does that make me the "evil rich" when I reach that level? I worked for it, you know.

Watching a company pay Execs obscene money should let us all know that within us is the ability to reach the level of the "evil rich" if we would only take the steps to better our selves.

So, quityerbytchin' about who makes what and how they make it. They did their job- even if the company's losing gobbs of money (Ford). If the CEO was smart enough to write his/her ticket and the Corperation aggreed to pay it then good for the Exec.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:46 AM   #55
schizuki
Founding Member

So, what's the pay situation at Victory?

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:46 AM   #56
maladg
Registered Member

Default Talent & Execs

Living about one mile from Home Depot HQ - and having dumped our Depot stock a couple of years ago - I was DELIGHTED to see Nardelli go. Interesting point about the rarefied talent it takes....WSJ pointed out, and correctly thinks I, that the talent pool of folks who come come in and take over Depot after the founders left was maybe 15 to 20 people.

It is called "supply and demand". Blaustein is probably worth every penny.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:47 AM   #57
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Oh, you know they just rolled over for Regan. Demos LOVED him...
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:47 AM   #58
Kreb_Cycle
Registered Member

That's why in Canada the drugs are way cheaper right?

Uh.. lobbyists have nothing to do with this stuff.. everything is on the up-and-up.

You know, those R&D costs of "big pharma" sure are high. Half of their operating costs are "R&D". Cough. Oh, and the other half is "Marketing".

May cause rectal bleeding. Beeeend over.
He was a fattish but active man of paralyzing stupidity, a mass of imbecile enthusiasms—one of those completely unquestioning, devoted drudges on whom, more even than on the thought police, the stability of the Party depended. - George Orwell _1984_
Old 02-01-2007, 08:47 AM   #59
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Back in the 70's, the HD union workers were notorious for undermining quality in the product. Dealers had to practically rebuild the bikes during the AMF days. When I tore down my '77 FXS, welding rods were sticking out of joints, bolts were cross-threaded, etc. Regardless of what you think of HD in general, their quality today is superb. I think unions are good for America, without them there's no representation, we become slaves to the corporation...as I am today.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:48 AM   #60
Kreb_Cycle
Registered Member

Since it's a free market everything is transparent! The libertarian utopia that we live in!