Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 02-01-2007, 07:03 AM   #41
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Default Re: Possible Harley Strike

Funny my union dues come out to .53 per hour.....

hmmmmmmm?

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2007, 07:04 AM   #42
mitctho
Registered Member

Without seeing the details, it is hard to understand the union's logic. However, I would most likely vote in favor of a plan that doubles 401K matching at the expense of some healthcare copays or premiums. As a relatively healthy individual, it makes sense to get that money up front and invest it, rather than receive a dubious benefit of some savings in copay for the rare trip to the doctor. Maybe most people are more sickly. Of course, family coverage is another issue, I guess medical bills for a family of 5 can add up quick. Too bad medical costs are driving a wedge between employers and employees when neither party is really responsible for the problem. For that, blame lawyers.
mitctho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:05 AM   #43
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Interesting that he spelled would've just like someone else..........
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:16 AM   #44
SRMark
Founding Member

PA workers come from a rich history of making choices that may lead to unemployment. That's what makes this situation so potentially difficult. Just how much of the Harley mistique is lost if the bikes are made anywhere but the US. That is quite a bargaining chip.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:18 AM   #45
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Oh, good.

BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:22 AM   #46
ksquid
Banned

Yep when I was single never used my medical insurance.. After I got married whole different story. The medical bills for 2 kids and wife are a whole different ball game. I keep thinking some health insurance company is going to come in with lower costs, modern technology (they still say Health care is way behind in using IT i.e. too much paper floating around), and perhaps it's own hospitals that can lower things HMO were supposed to do that but many have failed.. Virgina Mason in Seattle has pretty good rep.. The key is to keep healthy as you have done.. I haven't and it sucks..
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:25 AM   #47
ksquid
Banned

Ok you guys I am not him.. Should we call this kconspiracy #24.? It's common for folks who know they shouldn't write "could of " instead of "could have"... Some of us are verbally challenged..I also do things like write there instead of their etc...
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:26 AM   #48
Gabe
Registered Member

This is from NAWER, which is a conservative anti-union organization that is probably funded 100% by blue-collar workers. I would take all of this with a grain of salt, as "Will Fine" is probably a psudonym:

Union "Fat Cat" Bosses pay themselves more while Rank and File union members are forgotten

By Will Fine, Executive Director National Alliance for Worker and Employer Rights

According to the latest financial disclosure figures contained in LM-2 forms released by the Department of Labor (2004) as a union member your dues have helped to build an average salary for the Biggest "Fat Cat" union bosses averaging $239,106 a year up from $223,691 (2002) and 220,399 (2001). The continuing upward trend where the richer Union Bosses are only getting richer at the expense of the average worker is clear in these examples:

President Douglas Dority of the United Commercial and Foods of the Twenty Largest unions waged a pernicious 141 day strike and lockout affecting 59,000 Safeway Employees in Southern California took a huge slice of membersÂ’ dues with a gross salary of $633,793. Union's Knock Dority's Gross Salary down to $329,000 a year plus retirement benefits and accrued vacation still this hardship comes off the backs hardworking union members.

President Terence O' Sullivan of the Laborers International union has the largest Gross Salary of them all at $405,620 though this number only tells half the story. Mr. O' Sullivan refuses to tell us what he really makes preferring to hide behind"no comment" from his spokesman Richard Greer. Ostensibly, M.R. Greer tells us in the same breath that Mr. Sullivan role at Union Labor Insurance Co. is only "Ceremonial" and that M.R. Sullivan is not being paid for any services at ULLICO. We could not confirm this information through NAWER.

Rounding out the top five Union Bosses making themselves richer off the largest unions in 2004 are President Douglas McCarron of Carpenters and Joiners of America whose gross salary was $348,923 and AFSCME President Gerald McEntee's $316,916. Lastly, John Sweeney of the AFL-CIO took from union members $247,500.

It is an outrage that Union Presidents on average (2004) make 6 to 15X what the average union worker made in that same year.

The union bosses think that average union rank and file members will not notice the trend of more and more of their hard earned union dues going into their own bank accounts taken out of helping working families. These same union bosses thought they would never get caught that the rank and file union member backlash would never come about but guess what union members are watching you M.R. Sweeney and M.R. O'Sullivan! Kay Oshel, Acting Director of DOL's Office of Labor Management Standards, confirms this " The members are the ones that union officers ultimately are responsible to adding that the DOL believes that many union members do access these reports ( LM-2) based on the number of times its LM-2 disclosure site on the internet is viewed." Clearly the issue here is union bosses no longer representing the American worker. Rank and file union members now know they can watch the corruption of union Bosses more closely through the DOL LM-2 forms. It is time especially when the union bosses get paid above $250,000-$300,000 a year and union members get less and less in compensation and benefits that they begin to think twice about their union membership. Who is really representing the average worker if union bosses are enriching themselves every year while not representing worker's on employment issues? Who is really representing the average worker if union Bosses sell these same workers out to an ill-conceived liberal democratic platform of social and political values that rank and file members would never agree to if the union bosses really believed in worker freedom.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:27 AM   #49
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Ace is a Neo-Con?!

Wow, that's news to me!

Though, I was called a dittohead by the same person and I've never even listened to Rush.

BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:39 AM   #50
Buzglyd
Founding Member

We could also point out that these overpaid union bosses produce nothing and employ no one.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote