Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 02-01-2007, 06:00 AM   #11
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Possible Harley Strike

I think you should take a closer look at how many union steel mills and union coal mines are still in operation. With many people willing to do their job for lots less money, they should think REAL HARD how much that strike could cost them.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2007, 06:02 AM   #12
nesbit
Founding Member

Let's C now ---- HD asks that workers contribute to their medical plan costs, doubles the 401k matching % and provides a 12% raise over 3 years. I should be so lucky. OK, bros, go on strike and find yourself looking squarely at the dismal ultimate results we already see in the rest of the domestic automotive industry. Instead of questioning the compensation and profit distribution of HD, perhaps we should be looking at the compensation and the partisan lobbying expenditures of the workers union bosses.
nesbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 06:12 AM   #13
seruzawa
The Toad

"Bleustein, chairman and CEO of the Milwaukee motorcycle maker, drew a salary of $768,780 and a bonus of $1,945,013 -- the biggest bonus of the executives in the survey. He also had a realized value of $10.3 million on stock options he exercised."

http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/.../020609mjs.htm

Doesn't sound unreasonable. Especially considering that the company would collapse in ruin if a union worker or official tried to run it.

Also of interest to me is what the Union bosses make. Anyone want to bet that the CEO of the United Steelworkers makes less than $768,780 in salary?
Old 02-01-2007, 06:13 AM   #14
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

While Harley's been selling everything they make any money made off the vasaline tax was a dealer issue not a factory issue, so yes they've been making money, but no probably not as much as you'd think.

The contract as presented here is pretty standard anymore, increased contributions and co-pays for medical from the members with increases to retirement and general wage increase and cola's from the company.

My own union, I.U.O.E. had to go through the same song and dance last time our contract came up, all in all it was a fair package but we lost some ground over here and made up some over there. Just the way it is anymore.

A strike authorization doesn't mean anything, that just shows the company the union has the members support going into negotiations, without a strike authorization from the members the union has no teeth at the bargaining table and both sides know it.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 06:16 AM   #15
seruzawa
The Toad

Gosh man, there's a really simple solution for those who get all exercised about how much management people make. Start your own company! I'm sure that anyone will make exactly what they're worth.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:20 AM   #16
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Harley is coverd by IAM not United Steelworkers. IAM's been loosing ground for years with the domestic airline and defence industry however I don't doubt they're well compensted just the same

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 06:21 AM   #17
Fenton
Founding Member

That's $20,000 more than you going to make with the same skill set w/o the union.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 06:22 AM   #18
rconcor
Registered Member

Good thinking. The ones from Harley-China won't be a good investment any time soon. Maybe the execs should be wondering about life without free unions, and their own chances in that environment. (Yeah, it's just a rumour.)

But, just think, if no one complained, nothing would change for the better. Hey, wait a minute! Nothing is getting any better...
rconcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 06:24 AM   #19
ewok1
Founding Member

It seems impossible to have an opinion about the cba given the lack of detail in this story. Does Harley only make bikes in the US? Would Harley buyers buy a bike made in Mexico?
ewok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 06:24 AM   #20
schizuki
Founding Member

"How much did Harley's CEO make last year? How much did their bike assembly personnel?"

How much money was the CEO making in the four-six years he was in college training for his job? How much did that education cost? How much was he in the hole after that time compared to the high-school-graduate sprocket-fitter who was pulling down $20 an hour for that four-six years?

Any monkey can turn a screw. Takes a bit more rarified skills to run a multi-million dollar corporation.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote