Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 02-01-2007, 02:35 PM   #101
schizuki
Founding Member

Default Re: Possible Harley Strike

And you deserve to be.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2007, 02:37 PM   #102
schizuki
Founding Member

"fairtax.org"

YES!

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 03:25 PM   #103
Kreb_Cycle
Registered Member

I'm not an MBA but I've worked in many startups with plenty of them, many of them extremely smart people. The general consensus is that the reason to get an MBA is to network. I've been director-level executive of engineering and trust me, the marketing and sales executives have plenty of skills, but they're all about networking and people skills. The best of them are truly amazing at what they can get others to do.

In any case, my point that my thousands of dollars in tuition isn't making me those crazy wages, although I hope to get there some day. Plenty of people have college educations that cost thousands of dollars. Almost none of them make millions in salary.
He was a fattish but active man of paralyzing stupidity, a mass of imbecile enthusiasms—one of those completely unquestioning, devoted drudges on whom, more even than on the thought police, the stability of the Party depended. - George Orwell _1984_
Kreb_Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 03:28 PM   #104
Kreb_Cycle
Registered Member

I never said evil. Greedy, not evil. They make great products. They've got our government keeping them from having to compete with generics as well. They're anti-competitive and in bed with the feds.
He was a fattish but active man of paralyzing stupidity, a mass of imbecile enthusiasms—one of those completely unquestioning, devoted drudges on whom, more even than on the thought police, the stability of the Party depended. - George Orwell _1984_
Old 02-01-2007, 05:24 PM   #105
pplassm
Founding Member

Thanks for the link. Good advice there.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:06 PM   #106
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Well, I'll say it: Evil.

"The love of money is the Root of All Evil"
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 06:07 PM   #107
tripleripple
Founding Member

Location: Lightly Fortified Compound (apartment): Chicago, IL

Nice link. I, too, am dumbfounded by the hatred for the execs. I have a close family member who is one, and while he surely makes money hand over fist, he's been with his company for many years, works an insane number of hours, and is constantly traveling. Sounds great until you actually have to do it. I think, while EXTREMELY attractive, the money isn't the only reason many of these people work so hard, or why they have achieved the positions they have. It's a true love for work and success that drives them. Should they be paid the amount they are? I don't know, what should they do, give it back?
tripleripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:56 PM   #108
Gabe
Registered Member

Default This is absurd...

Tell Longride, who was a Chicago firefighter (a rescue diver, in fact) "I don't think Gov't jobs should be allowed to be union". Tell that to the next CHP officer who pulls you over, or the paramedic who gives you first-aid.

Tell it to the IRS guy processing your tax returns, or the teachers at my old high school, where I got a pretty outstanding education from some very good teachers. But all these worthless programs, like schools, police, firefighters, revenue, should be phased out. Great.

And then, with no trace of irony, you say "We pay our employees very well in order to keep them" in the next sentence? How else do government workers assure themselves of their rights when taxpayers demand that government spend as little money as possible? San Francisco has an incredible public library system because it pays its workers well, and San Franciscans like it. Cities like Salinas and Los Angeles pay employees a pittance, and they have $hitty librarys. Why spend money on public libraries at all if they're going to suck? Now that's a waste of money.

Lastly, when GM and Ford were rolling in massive profits selling SUVs like they were free beer in the late 90s, nobody said it was the union's work that was creating those profits, when it was in fact literally true. But now the Big 3 are foundering -- because they can't figure out how to make anything besides gas-guzzling POSs -- and you say it's the fault of workers who want to keep their health benefits. Those greedy ba$tards!

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 05:44 AM   #109
acecycleins
Founding Member

"These workers build pride into every motorcycle Harley sells and they deserve a fair contract that reflects the success they helped create," said Buffenbarger. "Instead, this companyÂ’s management is risking a successful 26-year partnership for a few cents more in profits. ItÂ’s incredibly stupid and shortsighted."

The statement above is from a Union Rep involved in the contract talks.

This is an INCREDIBLY arrogant statement from a SHORTSIGHTED individual. HD is trying to stop short the problems that are happening to other major manufacturers and what they get is a bunch of panty-waste cry babies that think that things should be given to them FREE. Why do they think that the time they put into a job is worth more money than my time? They provide a labor force- one that can be replaced by the way.The "skilled" part of this labor is not nearly as technical as the engineers that design the product. Suck it up you whiners! Your job may depend on it.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:54 AM   #110
Kreb_Cycle
Registered Member

Maybe you didn't like those crappy disney movies of the late 80's and early 90's, but Disney was failing before Eisner stepped in. He is a strong-willed person who turned the company around. Controversial, yes, but not an example of a crapola CEO in my book.

I'm not saying all CEO's are bad or that they should universally get paid less. Just that their pay, and the success of their companies is not necessarily commensurate to their abilities. Image is everything.