Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Harley-Davidson News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/harley-davidson-news/)
-   -   Possible Harley Strike (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/harley-davidson-news/4274-possible-harley-strike.html)

acecycleins 02-01-2007 10:05 AM

Re: Possible Harley Strike

I don't think that HD has the BALLS to pull it off. These union-filled companies sometimes forget that they own the ball park in which the employees play. HD should screw with them all and say "We're going Wal-Mart on you." Boy, that'd freak the onion bosses out (yeah, I did that Union Onion thin on purpose).

Gabe 02-01-2007 10:16 AM

Tell that to my wife...

Who has excellent benefits and pay for her government job. Non-union people doing the same thing make half what she does with no benefits.

So if a union had 20,000 members and they all were making 50% more (counting pay and benefits) than non-union members, and they each make $50k a year, that means this hypothetical union leader "produced" $250 million in increaded wages and benefits. And if he or she negotiates contract provisions to control hiring/firing or workers, then they have "employed" many people.

Of course, some see workers as interchangeable parts of a global system of production, parts that should be acquired as cheaply and easily as possible to maximize shareholder profit. It's not a humane or sustainable world view, but one that is widely held. And if you subscribe to that, then yes, unions are a total waste of money.

But then, all American workers are wastes of money and we should all just kill ourselves to maximize the profits of our corporate masters.

tripleripple 02-01-2007 10:34 AM

No, I don't think they could either, but it would probably do the trick.

Buzglyd 02-01-2007 10:44 AM

Re: Tell that to my wife...

Nothing against your dear wife but personally I don't think Gov't jobs should be allowed to be union. It's why we have so many gov't programs that have outlived their usefullness yet are still on budget and growing. Gov't programs should be sunsetted once they no longer have value.

She working for the Tennessee Valley Authority?

It's silly to think that employees are interchangeable parts. We pay our employees very well in order to keep them. It costs too much in time and lost production to train someone new.

Labor functions in the world of supply and demand just like anything else.

Ask all those people getting laid off from GM and Ford how much their union leaders have "produced" and how many jobs they have "created."

Gov't jobs are not the same as the private sector because consumers cannot opt out.

Holy_Kaw 02-01-2007 11:00 AM

Slippery slopes all around! Think I can take this one on, a little.

Phen-fen? how about the FDA and Vioxx... Who's gonna pay for the 100,000 knowingly killed...? I consider the idea that the FDA and "Big Drugs" care more about people than money naive.

Kevin Trudeau wrote a book called "Natural Cures". Great Health stuff IMO and a real lesson on the way the gov, in this case the FDA, "works" for those unfamiliar. Same old same old for those that know.

The_AirHawk 02-01-2007 11:10 AM

My point was "in general". I admit I haven't a clue as to the who/what concerning Harley's Execs.

The_AirHawk 02-01-2007 11:16 AM

I thought he WAS.......

acecycleins 02-01-2007 11:50 AM

http://finance.yahoo.com/expert/arti...adership/23188

For all you CEO haters. Read this and get back with me on your whining about what CEO's are doing for the money.

schizuki 02-01-2007 01:24 PM

You're completely missing the point.

A person who invests years of his life and thousands of dollars of his money in tuition and lost wages should reasonably expect to make more money than a high-school graduate with a skill set that can be trained in a day.

And if you think all they do is "shake hands and suck ****", then I suggest you try to do the same and see how far you get. I'm not an MBA, but I'm reasonably sure they have a skill set that exceeds your brilliant summary.

schizuki 02-01-2007 01:32 PM

So it's better to die of a disease than pay a lot for medication to cure or ameliorate it?

If you get a debilitating or fatal disease, you'd better pray to your maker that one of those greedy, evil pharma companies has a cure for it.

Jesus. These people save millions of lives, and get nothing but crap for it. Meanwhile, we've got a ambulance chaser running for President who just bought a ginormous house with the profits he made from putting Ob-Gyns out of business. C-sections are at an all-time high because of him - but making money (and quite a reasonable and unexcessive profit margin)off of something you invented and that helps people is evil, while getting women carved up is A-OK.