Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 01-10-2007, 03:59 AM   #11
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Default Re: I'm the total opposite.

You guys should just swap every other month.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-10-2007, 04:25 AM   #12
silentgrayfellow
Founding Member

Default Super Glide Sport eh?

Just in case you haven't ridden one yet (the FXDX), don't let the name fool you. Yes, it is sportier than the other big twins offered by the Motor Company, but less sporty than a Street Rod or a Sportster, even.
silentgrayfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:26 AM   #13
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Default Re: Early sign of Geezerdom?

I'll be 50 in less than a year and I figured it was time too, so last year I bought a nice Dyna, did some mods, bought a few t-shirts and rode the sh*t out of the bike.

Bottom line is I was impressed with the bikes power and reliability, comfort and just plain coolness of it. What I couldn't get behind was the lack of cornering clearence and slow handling. I probably ground a half an inch of metal off the frame and pipe bracket, not to mention some real seat cover tugging moments trying to wrestle the bike around corners when I went in way too hot for the bike.

It depends on your riding enviroment and your riding style. Where I spend alot of my time is in tight switchback type back roads in the mountains where a point and shoot bike with a lot of low end like a Buell or my Triumph, a Bandit or Speed Triple, Ducati Monster etc really shines. A bike like the Dyna just flat didn't work for me. If you do sweepers or more straight line riding then the Harley's fine.

I wish I could have kept the Dyna and got a play bike to go with it but it wasn't in the cards so I traded it on my T 100 which is more my style but still a simple bike.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:27 AM   #14
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Gen Xers will never want Harleys! I was 32 when I bought my first H-D. I've got a Ducati St4 also but I ride my Geezer Glide more.

I'm 42 now and keep getting a nervous twitch when I see pictures of the 1098.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:28 AM   #15
KLRer
Founding Member

I'm 82 years old, been taking my vitamins and looking forward to upgrading from my KLR 650 to a supermoto, maybe the Husqvarna SM610 or the new KTM 690SM (once it arrives in the U.S.). Need something that can pull a stoppie or at least stop when needed. With my KLR, its like...I propose to stop...ok MASHING down on the lever! Hmmmm, not stopping very fast at all. I propose to STOP! Downshift, downshift, downshift....ah, thats better.
KLRer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:33 AM   #16
xlr8r
Founding Member

As you say, there are several reasons why you are not riding your Ducati, and I'll bet that several of them have to do with not wanting any more back and wrist pain. There might also be something to do with not being able to see the clocks quite as sharply as you once did - and therein lies the clue. In the same way that middle-aged people start to hold books at arm's length to see them better, you simply need to sit more upright, and with the clocks further away. You don't have to give up riding Ducatis to do this - you simply have to trade in your Sport for a Multistrada. Or you could go BMW, with a GS or an R1200R. Or, if you want to stay Italian, still crank it over in the corners, yet get that low-down beat that the Harley is using to lure you away from the true path, buy a Guzzi - preferably a Ballabio, because it has an upright seating position and comfortable bars. And white clocks for easy reading! Geezerdom can thus be safely postponed for several years yet.
xlr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:35 AM   #17
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

When I grow up I want to be KLRer.

I want to be riding at the age of 82 and still planning my next bike.

My hat's off to you KLRer. I hope you have many more bike purchases in your future.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:48 AM   #18
cls
Registered Member

Whatever you get/have, ride it and enjoy it, and you're winning the game!
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:57 AM   #19
Neal
Founding Member

Dont ask US!! if you like it and it suits your riding style/conditiond --buy it! If after awhile,you lose interest,sell it and buy something else. Turning 40 isnt the end for chrissake;there's still plenty timre to buy other bikes. If the Dynas the one pullin ya and you can find one, go for it.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:59 AM   #20
TheFox
Founding Member

Default Buz's 1098 pool

I was thinking of starting a pool as to how long it will be before you break down and buy one. Closest you come without going over. I bet you don't last until June 10th.

--The Fox

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote