Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Harley-Davidson News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/harley-davidson-news/)
-   -   Evo v Twin Cam Dyna (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/harley-davidson-news/4203-evo-v-twin-cam-dyna.html)

Tigercub 01-09-2007 10:55 AM

Re: Evo v Twin Cam Dyna - My 2P worth

I'm going to vote for the EVO based on the fact that you plan on keeping it at least a decade. When I bought my '70 Triumph TR6 in '75 there were shops everywhere and plenty of parts. By the '80s we went through a shortage of spares and I thought that would be the end of keeping my Triumph. It all turned around by the '90s and every part is available and it potters along just fine. It's the parking lot here at work.

That's the case now with the EVO. You will never be in need of a part for that bike. I'm not sure about the '02 TC since HD is still trying to sort out the cams and balance system on that motor. There are several iterations of the twin cam in a short few years that wasn't so much the case with the EVOs.

But, if you pass up the Twin Cam you will miss the balanced motor and more stock power.

As for uprating the EVO. What's not available? The motor is solid and well engineered. At 83K miles I'm still on the original belt, clutch, bottom end, tranny etc. I did a top end rebuild at 75K, but only because I had the motor apart to replace one lifter.

One last comment. The '97 EVO is 10 years old now and if you were here in the States the HD dealer will be blowing you off, or gouging you for every part. With the Twin Cam you won't need to see the parts dealer and they still have whatever you need in stock.

schizuki 01-09-2007 11:28 AM

Re: Go for it. You deserve it.

"And as i 've said elsewhere, no bike puts a smile across my face like a harley ..so what the hell!"

You just identified the only spec that matters when buying a bike. Good luck to you!

Dr_Sprocket 01-09-2007 11:39 AM

Chicks dig the KLR?

Where are all the pics of pictures of hot chicks gathering around to look at the KLR?

ValkBandit 01-09-2007 12:23 PM

Re: Evo v Twin Cam Dyna

get the '97. that'll leave enough money left over to buy a DVD player for entertainment while you wait for the bike to achieve motorway velocities.

Buzglyd 01-09-2007 12:30 PM

Re: Evo v Twin Cam Dyna - My 2P worth

Just nit picking but the TC motor on the Dyna and Touring bikes is not balanced. It's rubber mounted.

The TC88B is available on softtails only. It's solid mounted in that chassis.

The_AirHawk 01-09-2007 12:34 PM

That's what I thought.

The_AirHawk 01-09-2007 12:40 PM

How much would a new TC96 cost for an "upgrade"? Or rather, new jugs and pistons, cams, etc.

Are the engines different enough that an 88 couldn't be made into a 96 easily?

The_AirHawk 01-09-2007 12:45 PM

¶‡•Þ~

bigjames 01-09-2007 12:47 PM

Well, here is one thing to consider. The '97 is very close to the cut off for service at the H-D dealer. Some already refuse to work on Evo's as they are too old. So unless you are going to work on it yourself or have a trusted mechanic, go with the Twin Cam. Personally, I own one of each...the Evo hasn't left me on the side of the road yet (neither has the TC).

Neal 01-09-2007 12:53 PM

You can make a TC88 into 96 inches easy but it is a 96' TC88,not a TC96. The TC96 has many different components.