Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 12-16-2006, 08:59 AM   #1
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Longtime H-D Critic Warms Up To The '07s.

"Over the years, I've gotten a lot of mileage out of lampooning a Harley's traditional tendency to leak fluids like a butchered hog, shed parts like a stripper and accelerate like it was tied to a hydrant. But those days are over."

Yeah, those days were over in 1985, but I guess it took him about 22 years to figure it out.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-16-2006, 09:11 AM   #2
acecycleins
Founding Member

Wait- The GMP hasn't chimed in yet that v-twins are dead and the cruiser market is dying wit it.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:13 AM   #3
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Well I think he's based in Chicago so go give him a smackdown.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 09:17 AM   #4
Brazeau
Founding Member

How is it that he claims better mileage? HD certainly doesn't. A quick check of the HD website confirms: 2006 RK economy 39/46, 2007 RK economy 32.5/45. Of academic interest really, as no one (myself included) buys a Harley for the "efficiency"... You'd expect the six speed to at least show better highway numbers?
Brazeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 09:44 AM   #5
schizuki
Founding Member

I'm not a cruiser guy, and the "Harley mythos" means jack squat to me, but I think a Sportster would be a great toddlin'-around bike. And I really, really liked the Super Glide Sport. Unfortunately, I think I was the only person who did, outside of magazine testers.

The Harley "lifestyle" crap is laughable. Their bikes are not.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 09:44 AM   #6
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

They were over before that. As we know, most loud and whinney Harley critics have never even ridden one, let alone owned and lived with one. A stock Harley, even an AMF Harley is as reliable as any other bike on the road, always has been.

"Unreliable" Harleys are the ones owned by the idiot who buys 1500lbs worth of aftermarket crap and slaps it on with his toolbox consisting of 1 cresent wrench, some channel locks and a bent screwdriver, then when his rolling turd falls apart he's crying about how unreliable it is.

Or blowhards like our Motorcycle Prophyactic who can't even keep a Kawasaki on the road, let alone a Harley.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 10:43 AM   #7
ksquid
Banned

Sounds like a paid advertisement. Won't matter. Let me say this again Gen Y will not be buying cruisers in any volume approaching the Baby Boomers numbers Yes I am happy HD has finally engineering a motorcycle that meets Garrett's approval after 50 years of trying. Don't think folks would give a Japanese brand that much patience. Harley needs to face facts improve the Buell and expand the VRod line. i.e. find new applications for it. The day of the traditional cruiser is fast approaching the end. One these mornings HD will wake up and find out the world has changed. [b][i]Building a better 57 Chevy (Road King) is not the answer.
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 10:44 AM   #8
ksquid
Banned

Just did
Old 12-16-2006, 10:45 AM   #9
ksquid
Banned

That explains his out of touch with Gen Y and the rest of the country perspective.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:54 AM   #10
anrajala
Founding Member

I totally agree that there are no reliablility issues. Over four years hard riding, sun or rain, and not one problem. Nothing. It literally has not missed a beat.

But the power, increased 13%-17%? If we estimate 15%, the 64 hp on the rear wheel becomes 74 hp. That is simply not enough, not even near. For many that will not be an issue but there´s no chance my next bike will be a H-D.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote