Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 12-16-2006, 03:10 AM   #1
2slo
Registered Member

Default Re: V-Rod Buell

A V-Rod Buell would canibalize V-Rod sales and put Harley even further behind in their efforts to move to a modern powerplant in their regular line-up. I think that we'll see a V-Rod motored Fat Boy before too long...

2slo
2slo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-16-2006, 03:23 AM   #2
XB12R
Registered Member

Its too big and too heavy. It would not be a good Buell motor.

I don't feel like it needs a new motor, but that one has been brought up numerous times over on badweatherbikers.com with same result - not a good sportbike motor.
XB12R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 04:05 AM   #3
jstrain
Founding Member

Why do people keep asking this? Because Mr. Buell likes his bike the way it is. I've ridden one, and so do I. So have lots of other people. If all those people wanted such a bike, they could just buy a Japanese or Italian sportbike.
jstrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 04:25 AM   #4
Fenton
Founding Member

I'll ask him if I see him at the IMS today and get back to you later.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 04:30 AM   #5
brax4444
Registered Member

As has been said already, it is purely a size and weight limitation. The V-Rod Motor is simply too large for Buell's tiny motorcycles.
brax4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 05:07 AM   #6
obandoj
Founding Member

It was good enough for the superbike they fielded in AMA competition. Well almost good enough, they bombed. I will never forget DuHamel's face every time the piece of crap died, or Chandler's, or Russell's, or.....
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 05:14 AM   #7
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Durn it

I missed this year's LB IMS cuz I was in FL drinking with my mates.

I wanted to compliment Burns on his attractive new soul patch.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 05:23 AM   #8
acecycleins
Founding Member

No it wasn't. The superbike motor was developed here by a third party (that is right now helping another American motorcycle company). The design in the V-Rod was developed by Porshe. Both Buell and HD know that the motor is too heavy to be a true competitive sport motor. But they could (HD that is) develop a new breed of sport-tour oriented dressers for the "new" generation of riders coming up with the V-Rod motor.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:31 AM   #9
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Because the Buell was designed around the Sporty motor. Part of the attraction of the XB line is the tiny 52 inch wheelbase. The narrow angle air-cooled Vtwin allows for this. A twin with a wider V and a radiator would need a longer wheelbase.

Even the tiny MV Agusta Brutale wheelbase is 3 1/2 inches longer than the Buell.

There are plenty of unique products out there. If you don't like the Buell buy something else.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 05:50 AM   #10
clively
Founding Member

HD is going to make a v-rod powered dresser in the sometime-distant future. They have to do something to meet emmision regulations. They will not put that engine in a Buell. When the time comes that the draconian legislators make it so the Buell needs water cooling then that is when we will see it come out with the engine that the naysayers want.

THIS IS WHAT THR GREAT CLPROPHET PREDICTS. And yes, I know this is an excellent post due to the facts/data. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
clively is offline   Reply With Quote