Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (
-   Harley-Davidson News (
-   -   V-Rod Buell (

schizuki 12-16-2006 04:55 AM

Re: V-Rod Buell
"Why doesn't Buell produce a Firebolt with a V-Rod engine? That would be a kick to ride."

No, it wouldn't.

Buzglyd 12-16-2006 04:58 AM

It's called an Aprilia Tuono and yes it is a kick to ride!

seruzawa 12-16-2006 05:22 AM

No no no. Eric is wrong. Just because Buell outsells all the Italian manufacturers put together in the US is no reason to stay with his design. A whole lot of "experts" know what Eric should do and they have no problem telling him.... the same guys who said that the air-cooled long stroke engine was a guaranteed failure. You know. He should sell what everyone else is selling.

Listen to them... oh yeah!

Buzglyd 12-16-2006 05:30 AM

You mean the Gen Yers aren't buying up modern naked standards by the boatload?

staff 12-16-2006 06:01 AM

Kick to Ride?
That bike would be longer, heavier and have less down-low torque.

It would gain 50-75 pounds along with the 15-19hp. So an air-cooled Buell would be pushing 5 pounds per hp, and a liquid-cooled one, 4.7, unless Buell really souped-up the VR motor. Still, no matter how powerful, a VR Buell would be too heavy for Erik. Also, the VR motor would add expense, expense Buell would have to take from their sweet suspension, frame and brakes. That thunderstorm motor is designed to be inexpensive to build, yet still have sufficient performance. It makes more torque than a 999 Ducati and will wheelie a bike as good as anything on the market. How much power do you need to have fun?

I often hear this question from folks who have never ridden a Buell recently or ever. I never hear it from Buell owners.

Buell and Ducati are similar companies. Both companies trade heavily on their air-cooled, V-twin heritage, and both companies have limited production. Ducati is limited by space constraints to 38,000 units a year; in practice they usually build around 30,000. Buell makes about 10,000 units and that seems to make them happy.

Because of small production numbers, both factories can make what THEY want to build, not what the mass-market of consumers want. They sell everything they make. Why should they build a product they don't want to build?

anrajala 12-16-2006 06:10 AM

My God what an awfull idea. A revvy small displacement engine has no place in a Fat Boy. Pure plasphemy. In fact that engine does not suit V-Rod itself all that well either, Buell would be much appropriate match.

Since I seem to be only one who understands anything about cruising, let me tell you what Fat Boy needs. It needs towering torq from idle, 100 hp on the rear wheel and smooth delivery up to 10,000 rpm. In other words it needs a Valk engine.

- cruiz-euro

anrajala 12-16-2006 06:12 AM

How much bigger and heavier can it be than the current worster engine?

- cruiz-euro

Buzglyd 12-16-2006 06:27 AM

Re: Kick to Ride?
Yer startin' to sound like a Capitalist pig!

schizuki 12-16-2006 06:29 AM

You're just pulling my leg. I've seen the Tuono and it doesn't have a bathtub for a radiator.

schizuki 12-16-2006 06:31 AM

Sure, they are. How else do you account for Harley's plummeting sales?