Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 11-28-2006, 04:08 AM   #71
Thruxomatic
Founding Member

Default Re: Just not good enough

Did you miss the part where he described it as a "lucrative corner" and gave kudos to HD for riding the wave well?

Diversify or die - you know the mantra. Maybe not now, when the Boomers are propping up sales by heaving their increasingly rickety bodies onto 1970s era technology for that nostalgia fix, but eventually. All those Boomers are going to kick off this mortal coil and HD goes from first to worst in 15-20 years because they have zero products for anyone OTHER than the fading Boomers. Buell could literally be the saving grace for HD some day.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-28-2006, 04:28 AM   #72
christian_gates
Founding Member

Default Re: New MO Poll/Survey

Soooo...it's like a Buell, but worse, is that it? Similar crap engine with an inferior chassis.

I don't get it.

cdg
christian_gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 04:37 AM   #73
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Just not good enough

Oh, it's 15-20 years now, is it? Funny how the predictions of HD's imminent demise go out further and further.

I've got news. If what I've observed of my daughter (17) and her friends is accurate very few of the internet era generation are the least interested in motorcycles. I think that if cruiser sales collapse there won't be any rejoicing from the sportbike segment because they'll be going down too. After all it's the profits from the cruisers that finances the sportbike redesigns. Sportbikers better freakin' hope that cruiser sales don't tank or they won't be seeing their bi-yearly redesigns no mo. Boomers are a large part of the sales of sportbikes, nakeds and especially BMWs.. It ain't just the cruiser sales that are gonna get hit when the Boomers die off. No other generation comes even close in general motorcycle enthusiasm.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:49 AM   #74
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Don't knock those '70's Superbikes. one of my friends bro-in-laws swore me up and down that the '73 Z1 in his garage (that he hasn't started in 15 years) is the fastest bike on the planet, deftly poo-pooing the R1, GSXR, Hayabusa, CBR 900RR and every other modern sportbike I mentioned.

On top of that he brought MGD to the party, what a moron.....

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 04:58 AM   #75
xlr8r
Founding Member

It may not sell in the US, but it will be a sell-out in Europe, despite being twice its US sticker in real terms. European boomers buying HD are not buying a motorcycle (of which this is a decidedly average example), they're buying what they think America looks like, which for you folks who live there is nothing like it at all. H-D dealers in the UK can hadly take the money fast enough: each time some new and overpriced model is announced the customers fall over themselves rushing to buy. Having said that, and having seen it in the metal, it's not that bad - but H-D made a big mistake, imho, in showing it at the NEC show last month next to a real XR-750, which for my money looked as mean, real and desirable as it always has done. Luckily, most people over here don't know what an XR-750 is, so the comparison was lost on them.
xlr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 05:04 AM   #76
seruzawa
The Toad

Really? He didn't know that you exclusively consume Thunderbird and Triple Jack?
Old 11-28-2006, 05:10 AM   #77
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Who are you talking about? Facts and Data

You will never find a picture of the GMP anywhere, at any time. I guess when you look like a young Michael Douglas on steroids, you are too embarrassed to show your face. He has to thank God for the Internet every day.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:14 AM   #78
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

More like Yukon Jack. Now THERE'S a party!
Old 11-28-2006, 05:28 AM   #79
eddyline
Founding Member

H3ll, most of the people in here wouldn't know how to start one, let alone ride one.

"Where's the start button?"

"Oh, you mean I gotta KICK START this?!"

"Tickle the carbs? WTF?!?!"
eddyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 05:34 AM   #80
Buzglyd
Founding Member

He mixes champagne and ripple and calls it Champipple!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote