Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 11-27-2006, 12:12 PM   #31
Neal
Founding Member

Default Re: New MO Poll/Survey

I hope you're right;but remember the original Sportster(more so the second year XLCH) WAS a sportbike by 1950's standards. It was competitive with the fastest street bikes of the day and Harley was still king of American race tracks(remember dirt track was the big thing then). This bike will NOT be competitive with current sport bikes and Harley isnt a factor in big time road racing. I totally agree with you that its just as good (better?) for real world riding but that aint what tingles the dingles of the 20 something crowd. I dont see a lot of 40m plus folk buying a Sporty so that leaves the 30 something crowd....will they buy it? Hope so, but i dont thik so. I think it will mostly sell to folk who woulda bought a Sporty any way or maybe a Buell
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-27-2006, 12:14 PM   #32
amper
Registered Member

Umm...the V-Rods are *still* overpriced and overweight.
amper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 12:20 PM   #33
amper
Registered Member

I think the XR1200 will do very poorly. It's not Harley enough for the H-D guys, and not not-Harley enough for the non-N-D guys.

I believe there is a large market out there for a non-cruiser American motorcycle. Harley-Davidson needs to take a long, hard look at what motorcycle riders actually want, rather than looking at only what current H-D owners want.

If H-D could produce something like the Ducati GT1000, the Amercan Cafe Racers Supermanx, or even the Ecosse bikes at a more reasonable cost, I'd be interested in buying one.

Buell's are cool, but far too radical for my tastes. Not to mention the fact that for the same price or less, I can get a better motorcycle.

amper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 12:20 PM   #34
Neal
Founding Member

Agree.....anything with more than 90 HP is way more than I need for my riding style. But HD doesnt need to get me. They need to get my power crazed 25 year old son. His GSX 6ooR wasnt enough so he got a 1000. I wnt out with him the other day on the 600 while he rode the 1000 on some back roads. He's a better rider and stupider but I could almost keep up with him(well almost almost"). I dont think he was any quicker on the 1000 than on th 600. And the 600 was WAY more than I needed to ride at my comfort level. I cant see him or any of his crazy friends buying this bike until the HP addiction is cured (if they live that long).
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 12:26 PM   #35
Fenton
Founding Member

I think it looks great.....but.....on my way to the dealership to get one, I'd pick up a ZRX1200R used for $4,500.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 12:37 PM   #36
anrajala
Founding Member

Default Re: Question?

Otherwise half believeable but when anybody says "Bonneville Scrambler" without a hint of irony its time to take out the Kalasnikov

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 12:47 PM   #37
Tigercub
Founding Member

Default Re: Question?

The idea behind the XR was to make a street version of HDs flat track bike, which were built to compete against Triumph 650, 750 and Norton flat trackers. The street version of the Triumphs were the stock 750s and for the Norton it was the Commando.

A few of us (very few, the proud, the Norton riders) are still looking for the updated Norton Commando. Kenny Dreer was on track, but failed - so far. HD should've made an EVO rubber-mounted Sportster with the XR styling. What they built was far less and no one wanted to ride those old paint shakers. Even Nortons ride better and they were built 30 years ago.

So, who still wants an XR - me! Because I'm still looking for the upgraded Norton and why I want one of those will take another 1000 words or less.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 12:50 PM   #38
Tigercub
Founding Member

...or a Norton
Old 11-27-2006, 12:53 PM   #39
Tigercub
Founding Member

There's a market for this bike, but it might be small. Whats the ratio of the R Sportsters to C Sportsters sold? Cut that by one-third and you might have the upper limit of XRs sold.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:16 PM   #40
hysteresis
Registered Member

I think it's a great looking bike, but I owned a 84 Honda vt500 ascot, a bike that looks almost exactly like this bike and people stayed away from. Made for the europeans, and will probably sell good there.
hysteresis is offline   Reply With Quote