Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 11-27-2006, 10:01 AM   #11
boru4761
Registered Member

Default Re: New MO Poll/Survey

Still leaking oil are ya?

boru4761 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-27-2006, 10:02 AM   #12
SRMark
Founding Member

Make the tank look even more like an old XR, put a breathed-upon VRod-like motor in there, pump out about 140 HP, put a tach on it & some Ohlins and sell it at a price point somewhere near a Duc Smart. It'll move and it'll move. Otherwise a Buell will meet my needs just fine and for a hell of a lot less. And don't give me that ****e about a VRod not fitting in there. Talk to the folks at KTM about how to shrink-wrap the damn thing. You guys have the tools and the talent. Make us proud of that American can-do.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 10:09 AM   #13
12er
Founding Member

Best looking Harley Ive seen yet. Would I buy it over a monster or new Guzzi? Uh, no...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 10:13 AM   #14
mikenomad
Founding Member

IF it's lighter and better handling than a Street Rod, yowzah.
mikenomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 10:16 AM   #15
maladg
Registered Member

Much as I like the dirt track look (Storz does it a little better as does Mert), not yet. Still no HD on my list. Like SR, I'd need to see LOTS more power and top drawer suspension. Until then, no HD will be considered at all - Buell excepted.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 10:16 AM   #16
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Yes, but a Cruiser is "Engineered" that way on purpose, only with more chrome.........
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 10:28 AM   #17
Neal
Founding Member

Default Re: Question?

They DID make it 20 years ago. It was called tyhe XR1000. Looked like a flatracker with trick heads,dual D'Allortos(sp?) and neat pipes. Put out more HP than any HD to that point. Didnt sell then......folk who had the cash didnt want it and folk that wanted it(me) didnt havre the cash. Dont think it would sell big now(at least in US). I like it ,but I can only swing one street bike and this doesnt fit my "one bike " needs. And if I DID buy a second street bike,it would probably be a dual purpose or a Ducati GT or a Bonneville scrambler. Or I 'd buy an old Ironhead Sporty for 3-4 grand and build my own street tracker Bottom line;even though Im a "Harley guy" and a dirt track guy who really likes the street tracker look,and likes this bike, i wont buy one. And thats,I believe ,the problem, its a nice bike but wont have a ready audience with cash in hand.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 10:33 AM   #18
Neal
Founding Member

And Im afraid thats the point. Guys who already have a Sportster or who want one,may pony up the xtra cash for this one;,but i dont think it will steal many Euro riders or jap anese bike riders.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 10:40 AM   #19
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: Question?

Thanks. That helps me understand..
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 10:41 AM   #20
seruzawa
The Toad

I'm not so sure. The original Sportster was more like this bike than the cruiser it came to be and it sold enough numbers to stay in production. Maybe this one would. In the real world 90hp with the decent torque that a 1200 V-twin puts out is quite sufficient for a heck of a lot of people. I bet there are plenty of people who'd like something with more power than the standard Sporty, but who also don't care about going 160mph. I guess that HD is going to find out. If it's successful maybe they'll take another step.

All the geniuses, including the super-fool, claimed that the Buell would never sell. They "proved" that Buell would be a total failure. They proved it with "facts and data" and "everybody knows" conventional wisdom. It looks like Buell sells more units in the USA than all the Italians put together. Worse, Buell showed that a product like that can be a success without requiring any acceptance from the sportbike mafia. I guess that Eric is having the last laugh while the idiots hang around the Burger Barn comparing spec sheets on the latest "soon to be obsolete" wunderbike. These "expert"s are now proven to be fools. So they should all be ignored. Hey, isn't gas supposed to be $4 per gallon by now according to this same load of "experts"? Also, HD was supposed to have crashed years ago according to the conventional wisdom. More examples of just how wrong the geniuses can be. If they were truly geniuses they'd be rich instead of sitting around making pointless "predictions" and pretending that they are plannning to buy this or that bike. The simple fact is that success is the prize that people win by going against conventional "wisdom".

I think I'll wait and see how this bike is received. HD's been making pretty good decisions the last couple of decades.