Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Harley-Davidson News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/harley-davidson-news/)
-   -   Seeking Unbiased (yea, right!) Opinion on Possible H-D Purchase. (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/harley-davidson-news/4038-seeking-unbiased-yea-right-opinion-possible-h-d-purchase.html)

03zx12r 11-01-2006 08:58 AM

Re: Seeking Unbiased (yea, right!) Opinion on Possible H-D Purchase.

I work for a company who administers service contract for motorcycles among other vehicles. We do see a lot of HD claims - most are leak related. These bikes are pretty good, but it seems if they are allowed to get hot, leaks are prone. Modifications also play a big role in reliability. An other point of intrest is ignition systems and charging systems. HDs seem prone to loose ign modules as well as regulators which can lead to the need to replace stators as well. Goldwings on the other hand - with a factory 3 yr warranty - do not have claims filled with my office with the exception of an ocational alternator. Consider cornering clearance, cost of maintence as well as your opinion to make a final choice.

bkbennett 11-01-2006 09:02 AM

I ride a 2005 Yamaha FJR1300. My good friend has a 2004 Road King Clasic. It's always in the shop -- not because it breaks down -- because he's constantly having it modified.

Overall, his bike is very reliable. He had a little oil leak trouble, but I can't recall if it's because he had the engine upgraded. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a late-model Harley if reliability were my only concern. Performance? Well, that's a different consideration. He's invested several thousand in power-plant upgrades and he's still looking at my tail pipes.

grandrouge 11-01-2006 09:13 AM

I have owned a couple of 'Wings...last one was a 1997.....was...gone now....I am really old school..an original 83 GS1100E Suzuki and a 2005 Road King.......60 K on the GS....14K on the Road King......Love the Harley......smooth, great fuel economy, easy to remove bags and windshield, great weather protection from the shield. I weigh 225, wife at 145.....either riding or on the pillion...even with 2 of us...suspension is great.....

Have had no problems......dealer 10K service with Synthetic oil in trans, Engine and Primary....plus install a new rear tire (first one...picked up a nail.....easily 5 K of tread remaining was $290.00 (plus tire).

Would like a 2007......for the 6 speed....yep, bigger engine has more power too....but for this almost 60 year old guy...even at the high elevations in Utah and Wyoming....Road King is no slouch....

The paint and chrome and fasteners (orange peel on front fender excepted) great quality...Hard Bags are too small in my opinion....Is it worth $18,000...no in my opinion....and the bragged qbout high resale is a myth (dealer wanted $6500 and my trade for the 2007......which lists for approximately 1500 more than the 05..as outfitted...And I find that a lot of the folks who ride Hogs are the newly rich......not even motorcyclists at heart....I prefer to ride alone....and the Harley is a nice place to spend the day. When I want to stretch my arms and smile at Japanese reliability, and tilt the horizon.....My GS is a grin maker.

Fenton 11-01-2006 09:45 AM

Just do it. Northern California is flooded with very clean low mile HDs. Many have a 5-7 year extended warranty to boot. $16k will get you an '05 fully loaded with all the "toys"

longride 11-01-2006 09:47 AM

"The HD camp says 'no problems' while non-HD owners say they're crap. "

I guess that statement pretty well sums it up. The ones that actually ride them say they are fine, yet the ones that never rode one one mile say they are crap. I have a 2001 E-Glide Classic with 28K on the clock. It has had zero problems and looks and runs like brand new. It's been all over the country and in every kind of weather and never let me down. Of course, there is nothing wrong with a new GoldWing either, except when it comes time for service. A GoldWing is a very complicated bike and difficult to work on, but the trade off is an electrically smooth motor and automotive dependability. Harleys are easy to work on, modify, and customize, but will not be as reliable in the long run. The Harley will have better resale, but the Wing will go the distance. Can't go wrong with either one in my book. Test ride the Wing and compare.

seruzawa 11-01-2006 10:07 AM

Aw rubbish. You think that just because you have owned both that your opinion is worth more than that of someone who learns everything from the internet.

Well, my cousin's girlfriend's grandfather had a Harley back in the 70's and he had lots of trouble with it! At least, that's what I heard.

biker2003 11-01-2006 10:10 AM

I put 25,000 miles on a 2002 Wing, great bike comfortable lots of storage. I put 45,000 miles on a 1997 Wide Glide. In the end I preferred the Wide Glide character over the Wing comfort for my riding habits. The 1997 motor never let me down and the new ones are only better as observed by my riding buddies who ride with me, one road king and one non touring. The new Harley's are reliable, not as fast as other choices but who wants to be dragging things on fast corners loaded to the hilt.

ksquid 11-01-2006 10:11 AM

Excellent advice.. and good info. I think if it was me the test ride would mean everthing.. Problem is when you like both.. buy used ? I might start looking at that buying a 2-3 year old bike to get some variety. I know you have told me that before....

Buzglyd 11-01-2006 10:31 AM

I noticed the exact same line. Funny statement really.

96 Low Rider 35,000 miles. Zero problems.

03 Electra Glide 16,000 miles. Some oddball problems fixed under warranty.

No leaks with either bike. Both lightly modified.

SmokeU 11-01-2006 10:34 AM

Screw the Electra-Glide, get a Road Glide. It'll handle better and will be more stable. As a plus there aren't as many on the road, at least around here.