Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 11-01-2006, 01:47 PM   #21
foilrat
Registered Member

Default Re: Seeking Unbiased (yea, right!) Opinion on Possible H-D Purchase.

I have had 4 harleys in my past 2 Kings and 2 Glides. Never had a problem with any of them.

I got out because of the ride and handling I went with an ST1300 and couldn't be happier. The Glide was a great bike. I had 15k miles in year-round riding in Seattle on my 05 Electra Glide.

I would suggest a Stage I mod, as it just opens it up a bit without ANY mods to the engine (it's a new airfilter and a different map). I had this, and some electrics (heated grips, gerbing jacket) and never had a problem.

I did, however have an issue with the Harley community, but that's an entirely different topic

Ride what's comfortable, ride what you like.
foilrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-01-2006, 02:08 PM   #22
ValkBandit
Registered Member

i will be happy to take that road king off your hands for $6,500. i could get double that, easy, here in california.

you might want to consider switching dealers. or put the bike on e-bay, then stand back and watch the bidding frenzy.
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 02:11 PM   #23
ValkBandit
Registered Member

"I did, however have an issue with the Harley community, but that's an entirely different topic "

dang, man, you're leaving out the best part of the story. are you saying you have something against bar-hopping on a bike?

wazzamatta you?

Old 11-01-2006, 02:17 PM   #24
ValkBandit
Registered Member

if you intended with your post to imply that harleys are reliable, you failed. at least in my book. two clutches in 40 k miles? errrrkkk.

i've got 38k on my K1200LT and i've done nothing but routine maintenance (and installation of farkles). likewise my triumph sprint.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:44 PM   #25
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Ditto, the Road Glide is the better bike as far as handling and stability and the one I'd choose. Unreliable Harleys are a thing of the past and even then it was usually the ham-fisted clod doing all the home made performance mods that screwed them up. I put 60 K on an AMF Bagger and didn't have any more trouble with it than I had on an 97 VFR.

Goldwings are great bikes but in my opinion and only my opinion they're way to much. Too much complexity, too much gee-whizz technology and just too much bike. I'd buy buy the Road Glide.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 02:56 PM   #26
bmayes
Registered Member

I am currently on my 3rd Harley. I do really like my Road Glide. I will add that I am looking for a suitable "town bike" at the moment and that will most likely be Japanese. HarleyÂ’s are a bit like German cars, give them the proper maintenance and they will look good/run good far longer than most bikes. Having said that I will add that they are not as abuse proof as a Honda, Yamaha, etc..

The wing is faster, better handling and more comfortable than my Road Glide, but there is something about the Glide moving down the preverbal two lane road that is much more pleasing to me than the wing. If I was an interstate king I would most likely prefer the wing actually. It just does not have the presence that the Glide has.

I agree with a previous note about the RG vs. the EG. The RG is smoother, better handling and does provide for a MUCH better ride in windy conditions. It just does not have as much stuff as the EG. Also be sure you can put up with the performance differential. The HD products can NOT keep up with the wings.

bmayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 03:16 PM   #27
Fenton
Founding Member

I changed my mind; Get the R1200RT and be done with it.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 03:54 PM   #28
WAYNEinMI
Registered Member

I have an '04 Road King with 32k on it and no problems (or leaks). I rode BMWs for twenty years but don't care much for what they build (and cost) now. Harleys are built for the long haul, not to be used up and recycled.

The only 'wing I owned was a '76 that I bought new for $2,150.00. It was a good bike.

Buy what you want.

WAYNEinMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 04:00 PM   #29
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

Oh, why not? Connies get no respect, but you can get them pretty cheap, and find out if you like them. This should fill the requirement for a least one post mentioning one of those three. (Personally, I like the other two more, but I'm only 60)
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 04:03 PM   #30
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

Man, you put the bar pretty low. I don't know if I would call that low maintenance or not.
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote