Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 11-01-2006, 09:50 AM   #11
Darrelpr
Registered Member

Default Re: Seeking Unbiased (yea, right!) Opinion on Possible H-D Purchase.

Two comments...

1. Starting in '07, the HD tourers now have fully integrated oil systems with no external oil lines, etc. (This first showed up on the '06 Dyna lines.) With the exception of a bad gasket, it would be virtually impossible for the engine to leak oil. In addition, the primary chain is now automatically tensioned and the camchain is hydraulically tensioned. As long as you keep the 3 fluids topped off (engine, primary and transmission), there's not a whole lot of maintenance for a Harley. (I've owned 5 to date and have never had a problem with any of 'em.)

2. Take a serious look at the Road Glide. With the frame mounted fairing, this is the best handling of all the Harley tourers and offers the best wind protection. It can be equipped with all the bells and whistles of the Ultra. This is the tourer that Willie G. himself rides.

my $.02
Darrelpr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-01-2006, 10:06 AM   #12
acecycleins
Founding Member

Buy an 07 w/ the new 96 ci motor. Don't do ANYTHING to it but ride and service. It will last 100k mi. Check the base gaskets around 20k. Don't spend money on crap you don't need. Keeping it stock is the best way for quick resale if needed.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:40 AM   #13
Tigercub
Founding Member

I think they are very reliable. Maintenance is real easy. The problems with older ones ( the EVO motors ) comes mostly from the modifications done on them. That's also where you get oil leaks. I had the rocker boxes off twice on mine and it always leaks a bit the first few hundred miles and then stops after that!? But, the EVO motors needed modifications to get them to run properly, whereas it seems the newer twin cams with fuel injection should run good out of the box.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 10:48 AM   #14
pushrod
Founding Member

Where is the recommendation to buy a Concours/VFR/SV650.

Or is this it?

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 11:18 AM   #15
Neal
Founding Member

Okay: Owned an 85 FLHT til 97. 40k plus miles. Replaced clutch twice(once right before selling),cylinder gasket once (at20plus K miles) starter relay once,throttle cable once,brakes once(I think). A good reliable bike. two more local owners put some miles on it with minimal problems. Sold to a guy from Arkansas who flew in,and rode it home from Md. without a hitch.

Bought a 97 FLHTCU. have put close to 40 K on it. to this point I have replaced brakes. Other than scheduled maintenance and tires,THATS IT! It now needs clutch.

If the Geezer Glide is what turns you on,BUY IT!!!! make sure you perform (or have performed) scheduled maintenance and ride carefree. One point:get a battery tender;it extends battery life from 2 years to at least 4.

Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 11:31 AM   #16
Darrelpr
Registered Member

Check out <ul>http://www.147db.com/tech/07_model-info.pdf[/list]
for a Harley training doc that details all the technical changes made to the '07 models.
Darrelpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 12:37 PM   #17
Dixit
Registered Member

So far, I haven't heard of any US made vehicule more reliable than a Japanese one besides maybe of a John Deere.

By any rationale standard, I believe that the Wing is a better product. Fact is, motorcycles are not rationale and that's why Harleys sell so well.
Dixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 12:46 PM   #18
gt750
Registered Member

Too uncomfortable, and he is NOT interested in this type of bike.
gt750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 01:08 PM   #19
TomSmith
Founding Member

Default John Deere

The last I heard (in 1990), John Deere is owned by a Japanese company. I just may be out of date or wrong on this one, unlikely as that may be.
TomSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 01:26 PM   #20
manalagi001
Registered Member

Virtually all modern motorcycles by the major manufacturers are of extraorindarily high quality. The 1970s are long gone, and modern machining and materials have lead to quality improvements for all.
manalagi001 is offline   Reply With Quote