Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Harley-Davidson News (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/harley-davidson-news/)
-   -   Motorcycles involved in a flood (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/harley-davidson-news/4021-motorcycles-involved-flood.html)

rbitra 10-25-2006 08:14 AM

Re: Motorcycles involved in a flood

first

bradbarker738 10-25-2006 08:28 AM

There was a story right here on MO if I remember correctly about a guy in New Orleans who got his Honda Nighthawk 750 running no problem after Katrina. As I remember, his bike was completely submerged. Maybe you should give him a call. Of course that was a Honda.

bradbarker738 10-25-2006 08:46 AM

And here it is...

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcgabe/...rs/index.motml

Maybe Gabe knows how to get in touch with this guy.

seruzawa 10-25-2006 09:20 AM

Are they Harleys? If so the engines are pretty easy to pull apart and clean. Since you've got a lot of money in them I assume they are HDs or GoldWings. GoldWings are going to be a bytch to clean up.

Yet another reason why I never spend more than $3-4K on a bike.

Holy_Kaw 10-25-2006 09:24 AM

First thing I'd do is a fresh water wash down. I'd almost rather swim in used motor-oil, flood waters are Nasty. Then, after it dried I'd go through a can of WD-40 on everything that might look electrical trying to displace water. I'd then clean and dry the bike. I'd be careful about water in the cylinders and would "spin" the engine with the spark plugs out. Replace the oil and take a look at other fluids for contamination. I'd try to fire it up and let it run at least until it reached operating temp.

I'd consider a washing/dunking/cleaning the seat somehow.

Feel for you, floods screw things up in ways you don't usually think of.

yellowduc_1 10-25-2006 09:51 AM

Unless they were submerged for a prolonged period, the greatest potential problems will be electrical and smelly upholstery. Drain and flush all the fluids; remove, disassemble and clean the carb(s). While you are there (intake system) spray the valves with WD40 or Seafoam Deep Creep or some similar moisture dispersant. Physically disconnect and clean every electrical connection you can find. Switches may be a problem if you cant disassemble them. Be very careful about doing a very good job on the brake system. You may have to replace the pads. Once you are satisfied with the cleaning and every thing is back together fire them up and run them till they are completely up to temp. in all respects. Then change the oil and filter again and go riding.

bigjames 10-25-2006 10:09 AM

If salt water, take the settlement and run. The salt will have all the electrics hosed with some problems not showing up for possibly years. Salt is nasty and will cause pretty much anything to corrode over time! Generally not worth it to try to restore it unless the bike is an antique or not replaceable. If the amount is too low in your mind, that is what your insurance commissioner is for. You can also get a lawyer. Also check and see if you live in one of the states that give you the choice of money or replacement (like the state I live in). Once the evil insurance adjuster knows that you are aware of that option, if it is available, they become mush easier to deal with. The insurance company generally only pays fair market value of the stock bike. If you have heavily customized (like fancy paint, extra chrome, engine mods, whatever) and did not have this stated on the policy, you were not insured for it, sorry.

If fresh water, wash the bikes, real well. Flush the tanks (radiator, gas and oil), drain the tranny and the engine of all fluids if possible, replace the oil (and cooling fluid) with what you normally use (don't go cheap just because you are going to flush it again), do a "major" tune up to the bike (plugs, wires and whatever else your manufacturer says to replace), treat all the leather with your choice of leather cleaner/conditioner. Replace any relays or "black boxes" if you have electrical problems. Also make sure there is no water in the lights or in the frame itself. Say a little prayer that they will start, then run the bikes until warm, flush the fluids (all of them all over again), refill and hope for the best...

As someone else posted, you may have problems with the leather stuff and some electric glitches if a sealed component was compromised down the road so be prepared for that.

manalagi001 10-25-2006 10:55 AM

I'd just like to give you some confidence. I ride dirt bikes and have submerged my bike a number of times, once in thick mud which had me pretty concerned. Indeed silty water got in everywhere, but you can totally wash out your bike, inside and outside. Motorcycles are made to get wet and undergo incredible stresses, they can handle getting dirty if you clean them up properly. If you clean your bike out with solvents (some people clean their tranny out with kerosene, for instance), make sure you let it dry out too; the solvents will break down oil you put into your engine. I would simply change your oil VERY frequently for about four or five oil changes (after every ride); use cheaper non-synthetic oil (still motorcycle specific, however!) for these oil changes. You'll see the oil come out milky-colored as it absorbs moisture in the system; after a few changes though most of the moisture should be out of the system.

mscuddy 10-25-2006 11:08 AM

Re: Trade you straight across...

for a 1 year old XB9SX. Never down. Like new.

longride 10-25-2006 11:23 AM

What the heck happened to the top end on that thing? Burn all the valves or something? Warp the heads? What's the story? Just report the thing stolen and I'll take it off your hands.

Holy_Kaw 10-25-2006 11:40 AM

That's a bummer. I'm thinking fluke, it would get out if a "modern" street bike needed a rebuild after 5k miles regularly. Recently checked the valve clearances on the REX again, second time, still no need for adjustment after 32k miles. Best of luck.

mscuddy 10-25-2006 12:05 PM

Get this, I called Calif. HD this morning, to see what happened to the motor. Spoke with some bozo in service, the conversation went like this:

Me: Did you guys find out what was wrong with the top end yet?

Bozo: No, we have to order parts.

Me: Why are you ordering parts, when you haven't even taken it apart yet?!

Bozo: zzzzzzzzz duh, i dunno...

Not a good conversation. This is obviously Karma, pay-back for something I did in a past life.

mscuddy 10-25-2006 12:06 PM

Can you say ZX12? Sure you can....

Buzglyd 10-25-2006 12:55 PM

Fruity

Buy a couple of sacks of lemons and go park it on a busy street with a big sign on it.

You also may want to contact an attorney who is familiar with CA's Lemon Law.

Time to play hardball.

mscuddy 10-25-2006 01:14 PM

Re: Fruity

I'm trying to get the sales department to buy it back on a trade in for a new olive-drab Heritage. Out of the fat, and into the fire.

Where'd I put my fringed arm-chaps?

Buzglyd 10-25-2006 01:28 PM

Re: Fruity

I think an olive Heritage would require something less frilly than fringe.

Maybe some hand-hammered tin arm chaps.

ksquid 10-25-2006 03:19 PM

Good move, you are not the only one trading in a Buell

Hang in there. I was looking at used bikes the other day on the local cycle web site. There are alot of bikes 1-2 years old with low mileage. Guy gets a ticket, then can't afford the insurance hike. I used to think I would only buy a new bike but there are some good buys out there. Maybe you can trade in your Buell on a low mileage Japanese bike.. I saw a pretty new used Buell Lightning fpr sale at Hinshaws Honda in Auburn WA. So other people are trading them in. i.e. you are not the only one.

Until Buell puts in a motor in like the air/water cooled Ducatis or water cooled SV 650s and 1000s I am not going to go near them..

priday 10-25-2006 05:40 PM

Exception vs. Rule

Man, there are a whole lot of us out here beating the crap out of our Lightnings, etc., on a daily basis, and not a blip. (knock on wood)

I'm getting about 2500 miles per back tire from the flogging I'm putting the old girl thru on a daily basis. I commute on it and have the good fortune to have a route to work that is not frequented by the local LEO's. Further, I weigh just north of 250 lbs., and flinging it around I am surely subjecting it to stresses that are not beyond, but are stretching the envelope. (When I rolled up to work the day I got it, my boss said "Hmmmm. Not what I pictured. I thought you would go with a Fat Boy for the fat boy......)

Anyway, surviving very through use (just shy of abuse) on a daily basis, and runs just like the day I picked it up.

Gas, Oil, and Tires.

Buzglyd 10-25-2006 06:25 PM

Re: Exception vs. Rule

Now come on. You're real world experience cannot possibly be more valuable than doofus boy's anecedotal evidence.

You see if I can find one ZX6r for sale in a bike shop, that means it's a totally unreliable flop.

longride 10-26-2006 02:49 AM

Man that sucks. I think me and Bozo would have a face to face on that one. Must be that Cali laid-back attitude working against ya.

longride 10-26-2006 03:01 AM

C'mon, man, he was a firefighter for six whole seasons. He knows more than you and me combined.

Buzglyd 10-26-2006 05:11 AM

Our last big fire was actually set by a weekend warrior. The guy needed work so he could get a job as a real fireman and went out and started his very own brushfire.

I think they took his certificate away.

seruzawa 10-26-2006 05:53 AM

Maybe you got the same mechanic who "fixed" my wife's car a while back, leaving the valve cover bolts loose (pumping out a quart of oil on my driveway) and neglecting to plug the voltage regulator back in (frying the alternator). A few days later I drove by the place during lunch and saw the mechanics out back smoking a joint.

seruzawa 10-26-2006 05:59 AM

Heh heh. Kook says he's not going to go near any Buells until Eric puts in a water cooled engine.

As if he went near motorcycles at all in the first place.

anrajala 10-26-2006 06:00 AM

You run a cheap bike to avoid the risk of a clean up job after a potential flood damage? Does your girl friend buy this?

- cruiz-euro

sarnali2 10-26-2006 06:03 AM

A co worker of mine lemon-lawed his 06 FLH Ultra for lean running. The shop pulled the same thing on him, tucked the bike away in the corner "waiting for parts" and blew him off when he called. He waited them out for the 30 days then asked the sales manager if he wanted him to call Harley or deal with it in house. After a few weeks of heming and hawing he rode away on an '07 Ultra. The deal in washington is you pay a dollar a mile penalty so all said and done it cost him $800 out of his pocket and they called the bike a trade in not a lemon because they handled it in house.

Point is the laid back BS cuts bothways, I'd time it out if I could them jam it up their butts.

Buzglyd 10-26-2006 06:11 AM

I don't think Eric is having any sleepless nights over that one.

bbtowns 10-26-2006 06:22 AM

In addition to one poster's comment about running the engine with the spark plugs out to be sure to push any moisture that may have entered the cylinders, make sure your airbox is not full of water. Having submerged a dual sport now and then, and seen a person blow their rings by compressing water, you want to be careful to get as much water out of the cylinders and bits leading to the cylinders as humanly possible. If the bike is carbureted clean those out too and drain the float bowls. Since the bike wasn't running there's a good chance you won't have any problems with this, but I'd do it anyway. Good luck

lcarlson 10-26-2006 06:56 AM

Rent a copy of "Then Came Bronson". After Bronson's bike was submerged a a bayou, he had it running as good as new a day later, using just a socket wrench. Looked easy --

mscuddy 10-26-2006 07:04 AM

That's why I bought a CityX, becuse of all the good press about handling, and reliability and stuff.

I got a lemon, I'm sure. Problems since day one. Going to play hard ball with the HD shop, see what comes of it.

mscuddy 10-26-2006 07:16 AM

Probably the same mechanics who worked at Glendale Honda back in the 80's.

sarnali2 10-26-2006 07:27 AM

If it's any help, my bud's XB9R runs like a Frenchman and he's not overly gentle with it....

For the Lemon Law in Wa. it has to be in the shop 30 days within the warrenty period, then they deduct a buck a mile from the value. It does work though because the shops here would rather call it a trade in so they can sell it as used instead of getting the state, factory etc, involved an sticking it with the Lemon title

anrajala 10-26-2006 07:51 AM

Can´t be them, they went to work for the Bulgarian state circus. The fat one is the giant squirrel leaping the flaming hoops

- cruiz-euro

Buzglyd 10-26-2006 08:29 AM

Runs like a Frenchman!

Only a Brit could come up with that line.

mscuddy 10-26-2006 08:33 AM

It's so confusing here in the peoples republik, but it goes something like this:

1: Has to be in the shop three times, under warranty for the same problem, that the shop/dealer can't fix.

2: Involves a lawer.

Number 2 is aptly named btw. It's still got another year left on the warranty, so when it comes back this time, I hope they've fixed it for good. If not, it ends up sleeping with the fishes somewhere about a mile off Palos Verdes.

anrajala 10-26-2006 09:20 AM

Buck a mile? So if it has been run, say 15k miles, ypu´ve got to pay the shop to keep the lemon?

- cruiz-euro

ksquid 10-26-2006 09:48 AM

Winning the war on bullies

I know a heck alot about more about forest fires than a "retired" city fireman who has never lived outside of his Chicago neighborhood. What company were you with? why did you leave the department? See I can get nasty like you Bully . [i]I was always the kid that stood up to bullies sometimes I lost the battle but I always won the war.

ksquid 10-26-2006 09:50 AM

trade it. I got kpaul feeling about this. The fouled plug thing is on the net all over the place.

sarnali2 10-26-2006 10:19 AM

no, if it's still under the warrenty you can keep taking it back and trying to have it repaired. You just loose the option of them buying it back. The type of issues the lemon law is designed to deal with are problems that come up right off the bat that you try repeatedly to solve. After 15k it's going to be more of a gray area as to weather it's a defect or wear and tear.

ksquid 10-26-2006 10:20 AM

City "real" fireman are lost without their precious water.. Try puting out a 12,000 acre fire that makes its own weather where the nearest water source is 50 miles away. Or even the more typical scenario I was on intial attack crews where you flew into to fire by helicopter (heliattack) and you were expected to knock down a 5 acre fire with only chain saws, pulaskis (has an axe and pick head), and a shovel. You have only have a crew of 5-10 people. Oh yeah lunch dinner and breakfast are C-Rations or MREs and you sleep on the ground for days on end. You guys are dorks.. By the way an acre is about the size of a football field.