Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Harley-Davidson News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/harley-davidson-news/)
-   -   Motorcycles involved in a flood (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/harley-davidson-news/4021-motorcycles-involved-flood.html)

longride 10-26-2006 03:01 AM

Re: Exception vs. Rule

C'mon, man, he was a firefighter for six whole seasons. He knows more than you and me combined.

Buzglyd 10-26-2006 05:11 AM

Our last big fire was actually set by a weekend warrior. The guy needed work so he could get a job as a real fireman and went out and started his very own brushfire.

I think they took his certificate away.

seruzawa 10-26-2006 05:53 AM

Re: Trade you straight across...

Maybe you got the same mechanic who "fixed" my wife's car a while back, leaving the valve cover bolts loose (pumping out a quart of oil on my driveway) and neglecting to plug the voltage regulator back in (frying the alternator). A few days later I drove by the place during lunch and saw the mechanics out back smoking a joint.

seruzawa 10-26-2006 05:59 AM

Heh heh. Kook says he's not going to go near any Buells until Eric puts in a water cooled engine.

As if he went near motorcycles at all in the first place.

anrajala 10-26-2006 06:00 AM

Re: Motorcycles involved in a flood

You run a cheap bike to avoid the risk of a clean up job after a potential flood damage? Does your girl friend buy this?

- cruiz-euro

sarnali2 10-26-2006 06:03 AM

Re: Trade you straight across...

A co worker of mine lemon-lawed his 06 FLH Ultra for lean running. The shop pulled the same thing on him, tucked the bike away in the corner "waiting for parts" and blew him off when he called. He waited them out for the 30 days then asked the sales manager if he wanted him to call Harley or deal with it in house. After a few weeks of heming and hawing he rode away on an '07 Ultra. The deal in washington is you pay a dollar a mile penalty so all said and done it cost him $800 out of his pocket and they called the bike a trade in not a lemon because they handled it in house.

Point is the laid back BS cuts bothways, I'd time it out if I could them jam it up their butts.

Buzglyd 10-26-2006 06:11 AM

I don't think Eric is having any sleepless nights over that one.

bbtowns 10-26-2006 06:22 AM

In addition to one poster's comment about running the engine with the spark plugs out to be sure to push any moisture that may have entered the cylinders, make sure your airbox is not full of water. Having submerged a dual sport now and then, and seen a person blow their rings by compressing water, you want to be careful to get as much water out of the cylinders and bits leading to the cylinders as humanly possible. If the bike is carbureted clean those out too and drain the float bowls. Since the bike wasn't running there's a good chance you won't have any problems with this, but I'd do it anyway. Good luck

lcarlson 10-26-2006 06:56 AM

Rent a copy of "Then Came Bronson". After Bronson's bike was submerged a a bayou, he had it running as good as new a day later, using just a socket wrench. Looked easy --

mscuddy 10-26-2006 07:04 AM

That's why I bought a CityX, becuse of all the good press about handling, and reliability and stuff.

I got a lemon, I'm sure. Problems since day one. Going to play hard ball with the HD shop, see what comes of it.