Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 10-14-2006, 03:09 PM   #31
Blade-Rider
Registered Member

Default Re: Harley Asks for Concessions From It's Workers.

Don't forget the other problems of ugly cars and crappy quality. We had an Astro van where a suspension component (I forget which one) broke twice. Thank God my wife was only moving at a couple of miles an hour when they broke as the wheel literally collapsed.

Oh, and after the executive launches the third world country plant he'll get nice bonus again.
Blade-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-14-2006, 03:40 PM   #32
mikenomad
Founding Member

Default Re: IT'S A THIRD WORLD, AFTER ALL

So basically, Harley is telling its workers to join the workers of the Third World in embracing a lower standard of living or else Harley-Davidsons will be BUILT by workers in the Third World.

mikenomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 06:30 PM   #33
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Well said, especially with regard to the feudal system. I supect that what the lords of the land are hoping is that the lack of bennies and holidays (or indeed any social safety net) will encourage a dog-eat-dog continuing development of brain trust. So that we continue to still have some of the smartest, but they would also be some of the toughest (mentally). 'Course, this could just produce a brain trust that isn't so much tough as vicious.
Old 10-14-2006, 06:33 PM   #34
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

It's just a matter of time until the white collar jobs get outsourced too. I hope there's a Walmart on every corner by then. They can compete with the rest of us for a Job. I'm guessing it won't pay much. Market forces, market forces.....
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 06:40 PM   #35
macmanjim
Founding Member

You'd lucky to find Jimmy Hoffa's DNA in dried up cat poop somewhere in the Midwest.

2009 R1200RT

My Motorrad
macmanjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 06:43 PM   #36
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

CEO of Exxon got 400 million bucks when he retired. This was one of the guys that had the brainy idea of cutting the crew in half on the Exxon Valdez, and putting a drunk in charge of it. The second mate, who was running things, had been up more than 36 hrs at the time. He saved Exxon a hell of a lot of money.
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 06:43 PM   #37
macmanjim
Founding Member

May be we'll see change when they outsource executives...

2009 R1200RT

My Motorrad
macmanjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 02:30 AM   #38
maxriderdon
Founding Member

How old are you, 12?
Old 10-15-2006, 06:15 AM   #39
rapier
Founding Member

Default Re: IT'S A THIRD WORLD, AFTER ALL

The one thing Harley can't do is offshore. I suppose some small percentage of parts is non US made but Harely means made in the USA. Period. That is what has made them the phenomenon they are the last two decades, or a big part of it. In that sense they are a prisoner of their success. There is not a single US company who literally can't offshore, except them.

This in turn has made the union strong. Strong companies used to mean strong unions, till offshoreing.

The relatively high labor costs Harely has are reflected in their price. Being a borderline Harely hater I never never never point out or ***** about how expensive they are. I'm as happy as could be that some few workers can make a decent living for a money making company here in the US. While Harley wallows in it's American-ness I don't recall them playing up much that they are supporting American families by paying decent wages. Such talk is verbotten in corporate America, especially Wall Street.

Wall Street despises American workers. They are disgusted with non company men making a decent wage. It's Harely's 'investors' who are demanding wage concessions.
rapier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 06:37 AM   #40
cota
Registered Member

Another company gets on board with the Federal Reserves vision for America's Future!

1. Health Care, Health Care, them peons donÂ’t need no stinking health care! They need to tip over and make room for those that got no clue what a good life looks like.

2. The American Retirement dream; a cardboard refrigerator shipping container, nice spot under a viaduct with a view of the freeway, a tin cup, and no cheap wine.

3. The peons been having way too much fun for way too long!

cota is offline   Reply With Quote