Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 10-14-2006, 10:29 AM   #11
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Harley Asks for Concessions From It's Workers.

I'm not sure what campaign contributions have to do with the IMF and World Bank. None of the officials are elected. (I'd rather not get into the evils of the IMF except to mention that Newt Gingrich was driven from office only after he had the temerity to try to do something about the IMF's depredations. This should give some clue about who really runs things.)

While I find many of the compensation packages of executives of some corporations to be disgusting I still don't think that paying the semiskilled 100K a year is particularly a good idea either.

As far as HD goes there's interesting stuff on exec compensation here.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-14-2006, 11:42 AM   #12
josiandjames
Registered Member

Something's wrong with this picture. H-D's stock is booming, as are their profits. Is H-D afraid they are going to run out of wealthy patrons so they are hedging their bets? Seems to me that H-D is running hard on the greed model of business.
josiandjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 11:44 AM   #13
josiandjames
Registered Member

Clearly you are not a worker! And, you don't know how to spel! Workers are humans, not machines. Seems like you have illustrated one of the reasons for unions to exist.
josiandjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 11:54 AM   #14
Bazza
Registered Member

I'd just like to see an adherence to the rules of grammar defining the difference between ITS (possessive) and IT'S (abbreviation of it is) in MO stories like this one. Is that too much to ask?
Bazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 11:57 AM   #15
rsk173
Founding Member

there is so much "fat" in most labor contracts that if the union leaders worked w/ the companies the average worker would be barely affected. offering 5 different forms of health coverage is just one example. how else could ford motor SAVE money by paying thousands of workers NOT to come to work? at my job, you should hear some of the more "pro labor" guys ***** about having to do the job they where hired to do. it's a chore to get some people to even show up to work. never mind the fat pensions they'll receive.
rsk173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 12:22 PM   #16
naco_traficante
Registered Member

Hey I just got a newsletter from my kid's school and even the teachers don't know the difference between i.e. and e.g. MO is an oasis of literacy compared to the outside world.

naco_traficante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 12:23 PM   #17
anrajala
Founding Member

The problem with GM was and is the product. You can complain all you want about wheeny H-D engines, certain people still feel strongly about H-D. It has attraction. I have one. But who the hell feels the same about Lumina? Where is the GM product people crave desperately? Where the hell is the Big American Brawny GM V-8 rear wheel drive?

Curiously, I recently read a ten year old Car & Driver, another example of the fulfilling life I´m leading, (May -96, p. 20, column by Brock Yates "Will Lisa confuse camshafts with Miss Clairol?") there was a story how GM hires people from consumer product marketing positions as brand managers. This particular chica, Lisa, was marketing Cool Mint Listerine and then hired as the Pontiac Grand Am brand manager. The GM´s marketing operation stated "The product is only one piece of the marketing chain".

So did BMW hire some baby powder/asswipe marketeer as the brand manager of their 300 series ten years ago? See the results.

- cruiz-euro

anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 12:52 PM   #18
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Then they could build the bikes in the same place whence they source many "genuine motor company parts". Convenient.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:05 PM   #19
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Seems like you have illustrated one of the reasons why manufacturors move from the North to the compartively impoverished South, or to Mexico, or overseas. Engine assember?! Give me a break. Of course I want the job done well if I'm going to be riding the thing, but assembling an engine ain't exactly rocket surgery (I've done it a few times myself, and my cam bearings never failed).

The problem is not that their wages are being "slashed" now; the problem is that they were being paid 27 bucks an hour and change for a job that requires about fifteen dollars worth of intelligence/expertise.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:09 PM   #20
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Don't forget that for about every 80 or 100 union guys on the floor of the plant, you have one union "steward" who is an otherwise regular laborer elected to the post by his fellows. Under contact, he gets paid his regular company wage to come into the company's plant and sit in an office that the company provides and file grievances against the company. Unions have been fleecing large firms for decades. If they're so altruistic, looking only to the rights of the "little guy" why do they routinely accept payments from Wal-Mart to not try to unionize? Because low-wage wal-Mark workers wouldn't contribute anything significant in dues to the UFL-CIO, that's why. If they care so much for the "little guy" why do they have strike wages of $250ish/week (on average) but spend billions on political advertising?

The notion of 25-year union veterans (hacks) getting the "no-work" or "no-show" jobs is not a part of the mafia myth.