Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 04-12-2006, 01:28 PM   #31
smithrob75
Founding Member

Default Re: As P.T. Barnum once said...

A lot of disposable income and too much time my friend. My Dad is 51 and is already retired. He still gets $6000 a month from his business as a wage and that's not counting his retirement accounts and rent houses. And his friends make a lot more than him. The price of a Harley is a very small price to pay to fit in among his peers. Remember you never, never leave high school.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-12-2006, 02:31 PM   #32
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Default Re: I'll get the ball rolling...

Chuck Norris has finished first in ever MotoGP race - on foot!
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 02:34 PM   #33
Fenton
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley-Davidson Q1 Sales Figures

I like the part about "it was just some 21 year old kid speculating".. Does being 21 years old make me less qualified to speculate than someone else?

-Yes.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 02:53 PM   #34
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

Harley has the same 'problem' as Porche; they basically are forced to keep making the same product, year after year, because their fanatical fans won't accept anything different. The 911 has been Porche's bread and butter since it came out. The 924, 928, etc, were good enough cars, but did not sell, because they just weren't Porches. The Boxter is their latest attempt to put a little variety into their line, and time will tell if it works or not. I don't think the Cayanne or whatever the hell they call it, counts, because everyone knows it's just a rebadged VW, taking advantage of a trend, and will dissappear the minute the SUV fad diminishes.

Harley seems to have taken a step forward with the V-rod, but, if they're being discounted, as someone suggested, that pretty much tells you they're not selling like they hoped. Buell had to use a different brand name to gain acceptance, and I think a lot of Buell buyers would be just as happy with another large V-twin for an engine, if it were offered. Harley sells a product that gets to a lot of people out there for reasons that don't have a lot to do with logic, which is just fine, because motorcycles are not really a very logical choice for transportation anyway, unless you live in Southern California, or Arizona, maybe. For the rest of us, it's about how a bike makes us feel. If the way Harley's make people feel ever goes out of style, they are pretty much screwed. Don't think it can't happen, just because it hasn't happened yet.
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 03:09 PM   #35
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

I was out sittin' on my Porche one day, an' dis guy in a Porsche - he run off da' road an' crash inna it............

;^D
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 04:57 PM   #36
jb71763n
Registered Member

I don't usually comment on these news articles but as much as I know Harley is trying to put a good spin on this, it's not really good news. Before anyone accuses me of bashing Harley, I own one (also a Triumph if anyone cares), my father owns one, I have several friends that own them. I would love to see Harley remain competitive however this is not news that shows them staying at the top of the market for much longer. By the article itself, the US market for heavy motorcycles is up 6.8% over last year and Harley is posting a 5.8% increase in sales in the US market. By my calculations they are not even keeping up with their own market. By way of comparison, Yamaha just posted a massave 24% increase in their motorcycle division. Granted that is across the spectrum of motorcycle models and worldwide but still that is huge comparitively speaking and Triumph increased its sales 58% in the US in Q1 2006 being led by sales of the Bonneville and it's varients as well as the new Daytona 675 (directly competing against the sportsters and Buell might I add). Historically Harley has owned the US heavy cruiser market so for them to even post a break even increase is not good news. The market is already showing disapproval if you check the latest stock price. They are also betting heavily on second half of the year sales to make up the difference. I think they are being optimistic.

The reason that Harley is trying to branch into sport bikes with Buell and newer technlogy with the VRods is because they realize that their target demographic is shrinking.

Also they've milked the "Buy American" theme as much as they can. It's not working for Ford or GM and it won't continue to work for Harley much longer as the competition just keeps getting better, Harley loses its "Better Quality for the money" status. Anyone notice the VRods have more chromed plastic than the Big Twin Harleys? Anyone check out Yamaha's Roadliner or any of the new Victory motorcycles? Harley has some serious competition in their own arena and Buell and the VRods can't carry the company if their core market dies on them. I'm sure they know all this already though, you can see the manuvering, I just hope they can get it together and diversify into other types of bikes before that happens.

Buell has to focus on winning races and maybe getting the VRod engine into a sportbike for under 12,000, currently they are only selling really to people who like bikes that are different (looked at the Ulysess myself, not sure the wife would like it though) but performance riders still won't go near them, most of the current crop of 600s would chew up the 1200cc Buells and spit them out. The VRods are intersting but I think they are confused as to what they are. The Street Rod is the most interesting to me with a real sized fuel tank, inverted forks and damn good breaks but for $15,000 ??? I'll take the Sportster 1200 roadster and pocket 6 grand. Or just keep my current rides and buy my wife a new car.

Anyway, as the caveat says, "your mileage may vary" Just my opinion and we all know everyone has one...

Keep the shiny side up everyone...

-Jim

jb71763n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 05:56 PM   #37
Mollygrubber
Founding Member

Default Re: A Buell without a Harley motor. Hmmmmm...

Now THAT would be interesting. Perhaps Eric should give the folks at Ducati a call.
Mollygrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 06:27 PM   #38
gear_head
Registered Member

BS- +1 for the kid!
gear_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 06:43 PM   #39
Fenton
Founding Member

You have a point given the definition; "theoretical, rather than practical reasoning" That would have applied to me at 21 too.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 09:27 PM   #40
bigdx
Founding Member

Default Re: Everybody ages. Even 21 year olds. ;-)

Ridden them all; over a period of 30 years. The bike that is the most comfortable for me is a cruiser.

The low seat height does it for me, which eliminates just about all dual sports, standard and many touring bikes. I do not ride quite as fast and can therefore miss the bumps/potholes in the roads - short travel suspensions not an issue.

The long wheelbase and high curb weight means they're nice and stable on the road.

Cruisers are not for everybody, but they sure hit the spot for the folks that want them.
bigdx is offline   Reply With Quote