Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 04-08-2006, 08:23 PM   #1
schizuki
Founding Member

Default Re: First Harley Shop Opened Saturday in China.

Well, it's only a matter of time before the inevitable turf wars between the Herr's Angers and the Outraws.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-08-2006, 09:20 PM   #2
mikenomad
Founding Member

Default Re: FILE THIS UNDER "SO WHAT?"

The Rolling Stones played in China. Harley is selling motorcycles in China. So what?

China is still a brutal dictatorship.

Americans equate rock'n'roll and motorcycles with freedom because they live in a place where there is a great degree of freedom.

The appearance of the Rolling Stones and Harley motorcycles in China does not herald a closing of the gap between east and west, the dawn of political enlightenment in China, or anything of significance whatsoever.

It's no more significant than Maytag selling washers in China.

All it means is that some European and American capitalists are making money off of a totalitarian government that is rapidly moving toward becoming an economic and military superpower that would like to wipe us off the map.

But hey, they're riding Harleys and listening to the Stones. Let's all join hands and sing Cumbaya.
mikenomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 10:30 PM   #3
mghempel
Registered Member

Default Re: FILE THIS UNDER

Yes. Eavesdropping on citizens. Monitoring website searchs. Monitoring library books that are checked out. Detention for years without access to lawyers or being charged with a crime.

Sorry, my mistake. I thought we were talking about the US.

Before mindlessly bashing China, let's do two things: Look at what we do at home. Second, figure out what is REALLY happening in China, rather than just stick with our comfortable preconceptions.

The more I see of China (I've been living in Asia for 12 years now), the more I realize that most Westerners really don't have the slightest clue about what is going on there.

mghempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 01:40 AM   #4
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

By your description of the US it sounds like you've been watching the wrong cartoons. Maybe toon into whats really happening and quit reciting the liberal dogma verbatim.
Old 04-09-2006, 01:59 AM   #5
brandenw
Founding Member

I would like to see a 50cc air cooled Harley twin-powered moped.. That would be insane.
brandenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 03:41 AM   #6
Don_Ohio
Founding Member

Seems only fair, China sends their crappy products here, so we'll send 'em some equally crappy bikes.
Don_Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 04:11 AM   #7
mikenomad
Founding Member

Actually, mghempel is correct in pointing out that America IS turning into a police state. Which just underscores that rock'n'roll and motorcycles do not spawn freedom. It's the other way around. We have rock'n'roll and motorcycles because we have freedom. As freedom tapers off, so do the benefits.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:15 AM   #8
mikenomad
Founding Member

You're correct in your assertion that most Americans don't have a clue about what's going on in Asia and the rest of the world.

But those of us who DO pay attention are aware that despite China's evolving economic growth and acquisition of more-affluent and Western-influenced culture, it's still a brutal dictatorship.

China is not moving toward enlightenment. There's no democratic revolution around the corner. America is moving more toward totalitarianism.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:23 AM   #9
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Me laugh long time at round-eye devil's joke!
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 04:48 AM   #10
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

What part of ...

Bush admits doing all of this

are you not getting?
m_t_yeo is offline   Reply With Quote