Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 03-15-2006, 03:43 AM   #1
teapotdome
Registered Member

Default Re: Harley and The Baby Boomers.

The other shoe has dropped.

First post!
teapotdome is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-15-2006, 04:00 AM   #2
BrineUSAF
Founding Member

I think the last sentence of that article is the truth, or for the most part at least. Today's teenagers, and young adults are into the sportbikes, or the majority of them. Yes, their sales are showing an increase of female riders, as well as african-americans; but isn't that to expect with all the equality finally. In my mind, what HD needs to do is just continue doing what they've been doing the entire time, produce solid products; which would include new models aimed at the new rider-base. The young adults today in-time won't be able to handle the physical task of riding crotch rockets, and will resort to a cruiser ( such as a HD). In short the HD rider-base is going to be passed from generation to generation.

But not unless they can compete with the prices of other cruisers and standards. ( V-Star )
BrineUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 04:01 AM   #3
maxriderdon
Founding Member

I think they will do ok, changes ahead? Yes, believe it or not I think they will actually start copying the Metrics in many areas. The V-Rod is already a major step in that direction(liquid cooling, etc.) although it's only one bike it's basically Harley's metric bike.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:17 AM   #4
naco_traficante
Registered Member

Default just another marketing opportunity for Harley

Harley Life Alert - I've dropped my Harley and I can't pick it up.

Harley-logo Depends in faux black leather and fringe.

Noisy wheelchairs that shake and cost too much.

And finally the HD-logo caskets with optional chrome upgrades.

naco_traficante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 04:18 AM   #5
dleclerc
Founding Member

They difinately have some work to do,

Street Rod/V- Rod is a move in the right direction for a Cruiser that is competitve and attracts younger buyers while maintaining the image. The Buell line needs some work on their motors and they could be very competitive. But the big void is Bang for your buck. They need an 883 and 1200 sportster that looks good and has attitude. Maybe a chopped version. (Hugger Rear Shock, Regular front shocks, Traditional Sportster Tank, Drag bars, and a softail look headlight would make a nice little bike at the price of a hugger.
dleclerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 04:20 AM   #6
goodtime
Founding Member

IMHO the best thing HD could do for sales is bite the bullet and put a real motor in the Buell line and put the Harley name on them. Next move, put them in the front of the store where the customer can see them and price them under 9K. Let the beer bellied "bikers" cry all they want and watch the sells climb.
goodtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 04:47 AM   #7
bmwdude
Founding Member

I wish them luck.

But, if they want my business they are going to need to start winning races. (Buell)

I was actually planning to go buy one of the new Buells this week. But not after the problems I saw them having last Saturday. No way. I've decided keep looking. KTM perhaps or a Multistrada?

They can make all of the excuses they like, but it was poor quality that lost them both the Daytona 200 and my business.

Bottom line, it's going to take a lot more than marketing to get my business.

Also, as I age, I find myself less and less interested in cruisers. I was still in my teens when I sold my last cruiser and bought a 750 Kawi standard. So, at least in my case older doesn't = a desire for a cruiser type bike.

bmwdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 04:51 AM   #8
bmwdude
Founding Member

Default Re: just another marketing opportunity for Harley

Ha! Scream'n Eagle wheelchair and casket parts! Now there's an idea.

Next they need to come out with Preparation-HD?
bmwdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 05:00 AM   #9
maxriderdon
Founding Member

I would not knock Buell for not winning, only not finishing. That is sad.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:02 AM   #10
JLWarrior
Registered Member

I like Harleys. Really I do. But they need some better offerings. They need to hook up with Storz and sell a street tracker for about $9999 that is more that a black and orange paint job and a high pipe. And they need to continue modernizing the running gear on the softails and dynas. The fatter tires of late are an improvement, but more needs to be done. I shouldn't have had to buy a Yamaha RS Warrior to get a cruiser that's fun to ride. The V-Rod is not worth the money they want for it, period. It should be in line with the other muscle cruisers, certainly under $15k.
JLWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote