Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 03-15-2006, 06:00 PM   #71
DaveFla
Founding Member

Default XBRR parts not necessarily what you'll find at the dealer.

Early rumor has it that the XBRRs had a batch of bad clutch baskets, but you won't find that part on any Buell at the dealer, I think.

I have 4500 miles on my XB12R in a year and a half (danged winters!) and my biggest problem to date has been fouled plugs. $30 worth of iridium Denso plugs fixed that. I've never been stranded and it doesn't leak oil.

A side benefit to the Buell is that I don't have to spend any money at the local HonKawaSuziYamaSkidoo dealer, who are sharks in a league that my H-D/Buell dealer folks only wish they could play in. I haven't been in to see them since I went to look at a 10-year-old Nightwing 750 they'd advertised at $800 over book. It had non-DOT aftermarket front signals and what looked to be a rectangular headlamp off of an early '80s Suzuki GS, as well as weepy fork seals.

I didn't look too close, I was afraid there might still be deer fur or something stuck on it and I'd have to tell them why I was laughing...
DaveFla is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-15-2006, 08:08 PM   #72
gas_pig
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley and The Baby Boomers.

It takes far less R&D money to come up with new t-shirts and HD logoed toaster cozies.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:03 PM   #73
ksquid
Banned

Default You are correct

Yes you are correct Ducati and Triumph would change financial places with Harley. That is exactly my point Harley has the money to turn Buell into a Gen X and Y magnet. But will they.... I bet Triumph and Ducati would know what to do with all that cash..
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 11:48 PM   #74
BrineUSAF
Founding Member

Bryan, as far as people's loyalties to their respective makers - I am not saying that once the crotch rocket scene becomes to physically demanding for the patrons that they simply just drop their rockets and pick up a HD. If you notice in the last part of my comment I mentioned that HD still has to make small changes to accomodate their changing rider-base ( which they have already begun to do ); as well as, keeping prices competitive against other Factories ( I mentioned the V-star I think ). All in all, my theory is not that HD does nothing and just plays the waiting game; my theory is that if HD keeps their Reputation up, makes minor adjustments to address the changing rider-base (on the machines), and continue to produce solid products off the line. This coupled with an already solid history should alone be enough to pass the test. I do not think there is no need for HD to look desperate, don't go advertising someplace it didn't before (by extremes), if a new ( not desperate appearing) location for advertising appears then capitalize. HD Seniors and Executives know who rides their machines. Who can forget about good ol' orange? (No, not KTM) Time will surely tell. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I figured I'd just clear up mine, it appeared like you misunderstood what I was attempting to say.

Speaking of HD's, the dealer here just gave me a free shirt, and bandana about a hour ago.
BrineUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 11:52 PM   #75
BrineUSAF
Founding Member

They would possibly shift to an HD because pricing will become competitive, and it is possible for the consumer to realize which Company has been producing solid products the longest. It's not just the name, it's the worksmanship.

I responded more in depth to the thread in general, refer to the main post.

Nice thoughts on the subject though, I see where you are coming from as well; I respect your opinion.
BrineUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 04:23 AM   #76
v4bryan
Registered Member

As a Honda rider, you might have a hard time convincing me that my dollars are better spent on a Harley (at least workmanship-wise). Also, HD is going to have to slash their prices, or the US will need to raise tariffs on incoming cruisers in order to make costs similar/competitive. This observation is of course based on my (possibly) poor recollection of current recent pricing- IIRC, a HD ran about $2K to$3K more than a comparable metric cruiser (sometimes much more).

I'd like to see HD get competitive; I just don't think they can afford to...
v4bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 04:29 AM   #77
maladg
Registered Member

Hah! 75 (now 76) posts arising from some dumba$$ "marketing experts" opinions. HAH!

I'd rather be caught at a Brokeback screening than be caught preening on a "Heritage" Softail, but even I saw the bullshyte in the article.

Go back and reread. The description of HD in the article makes the bikes sound like AMF era Sportsters. Boneshakers indeed. The authors obviously have a superficial understanding of bikes in general and HD - and there engineering improvements - in specific. [one engineering improvement to go - a better motor for Buell - please!]

What the article missed but most others HAVE caught onto is that older folks today are much, much healthier than previous generations - generally. And folks exercise more, eat better, smoke less, blah, blah...

I'd not be shorting my HD stock just yet.

I'll save my good natured - and some not so good natured - banter for another time when the foundation ain't so wobbly.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 04:30 AM   #78
maladg
Registered Member

Or is that 78?
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 05:32 AM   #79
sarnali
Founding Member

I believe it's 79...
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 06:53 AM   #80
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: You are correct

Ducati execs would blow it all on women and Truimph execs would blow it all on beer.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote