Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 03-15-2006, 11:53 AM   #61
tomk2
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley and The Baby Boomers.

Most the upper class housefraus in Marin have done the Harley thing including a full collection of Genuine Harley Gear (tm)... it's passe now but a few years back a young guy hanging out early afternoons at the bookstore/coffee shop in Mill Valley could pretty much count on getting his engine polished by some 35ish urban cougar in black leather
tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-15-2006, 11:58 AM   #62
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I saw it in the flesh at the Long Beach show and it is sweet for sure.

As long as I don't turn a photo into computer wallpaper I'll be safe.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 12:07 PM   #63
ksquid
Banned

Agreed Duc's supersports are good stuff. Buzglyd has one.. I really like that Sporster thanks for the link....
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 12:40 PM   #64
BillyO
Registered Member

Harley went to Discs long ago,no shoe brakes

for the modern HD
BillyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 12:52 PM   #65
BillyO
Registered Member

BMW has their problems also.Quality control has become an issue since sooo many of their assembly workers are from other countries and cultures.

BillyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 02:00 PM   #66
redbandit_1
Founding Member

m109r is a sweet bike. rode one in daytona and was suprised. great handling power and comfort. only cruiser that would get my money.
redbandit_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 02:02 PM   #67
FrankS1
Founding Member

Funny thing, I am well past the age of the baby boomers (69 in a couple months). 20 years ago, I figured that when I got to be an old man I'd get a Harley, but it isn't time yet. I much prefer to ride long distances on my BMW, and do sporty riding on my Ducati. I now think I might get a Triumph 675 one of these days.

Apparently I missed the thrill of owning something slow and shaky and loud, but shiny - will I join those younger buyers one of these days? Well, as long as the roads around here are washboard gravel or potholed pavement, probably not.
FrankS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 02:28 PM   #68
ksquid
Banned

Great comments. I hope I am like you when I get that age. Can't see myself riding a cruiser. To me riding a bike is like flying only better....
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 03:58 PM   #69
pdad13
Founding Member

The problem is that the Baby Boomers are very large in terms of numbers. Even if Harleys continue to be the most popular choice of aging riders (which will certainly be up for debate) their target audience will be far smaller. H-D has been very smart in riding this wave, but they're probably going to have to figure a way to change somewhat without abandoning their core values. It's a tricky job.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 04:02 PM   #70
Airfiddler
Founding Member

Interesting article and opinions. HD will not tempt me to pry my wallet open for many reasons, but the main three are

1: Price, read VALUE. anyone who says HD's do not depreciate as much has not seriously looked at the used market or talked with owners trying to sell.

2: I prefer a bike that goes around corners without grinding various parts on the pavement. read UP TO DATE CHASISIS/SUSPENSION DESIGN.

3:There are more interesting engine designs out there than Vtwins with huge displacement and hand numbing vibration. ('55 BELAIRS LOOK COOL ALSO, BUT TIME MARCHES ON).

That being said I hope they find a new customer base,and concentrate on producing interesting and advanced new bikes, instead of hawking all that crap I see on the walls and shelves of their dealerships.
Airfiddler is offline   Reply With Quote