Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Harley-Davidson News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/harley-davidson-news/)
-   -   Harley and The Baby Boomers. (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/harley-davidson-news/3392-harley-baby-boomers.html)

pplassm 03-15-2006 06:28 AM

Re: just another marketing opportunity for Harley

And they had Cylinder urns for ashes!!!!

iamz 03-15-2006 06:52 AM

Re: Harley and The Baby Boomers.

They make cruisers. Cruisers are not choppers. Don't get me started.

sarnali 03-15-2006 07:04 AM

I think it's the natural ebb and flow of marketing. Harley's been selling like hot cakes for 20 years now, true it's us boomers who turned them from decent motorcycles to status symbols, and probably also true that the older we get, the less the new bikes we'll be buying but Harley's are still fun bikes and for someone like me who's ridden sportbikes and sport tourers for 20 years they are a nice change of pace.

I imagine the young guys on sportbikes now might be in the market for Harley's when they slow down, maybe not. Maybe they'll go from a Ninja to a Vulcan, or a CBR to a VTX. The appeal for Harley's is they are unique bikes and some people value that uniqueness. I've been guilty on this site of razzing "10,000 Rugged individualists, all dressed the same" before so save the flamers, but if you seperate the bike from the "Lifestyle" they come out pretty favorably. To be honest, I'd rather not have every nit-wit pseudo outlaw riding the same bike as me and I'm happy to just enjoy riding the bike instead of being tarred by the same brush as some weekend warrior but for now it's something I'll have to put up with.

As far as marketing to Black people and women, when have they not done that? I don't know of any company that would get critsizied for try to expand their market like Harley does. The fact is Black people have been riding Harleys for years, as have women and Hispanics, Asians and whoever else wants one. Are you going to turn around and say that since there's Black sportbike clubs that you have to be Black to ride a sportbike? Last time I looked Black people use the same kind of money we do, I imagine Harley would be just as happy to take it off their hands as they are taking mine.

The whole issue is a crock of sh*t.

Fenton 03-15-2006 07:11 AM

+1 for the M109R

Tigercub 03-15-2006 07:44 AM

My daughter who just passed her motorcycle license test wants a Kawasaki Ninja 250. I've suggested the Honda 250 cruiser, the Buell Blast, even the little Honda Nighthawk, but she is only interested in the Ninja. I have three kids and four bikes, a Harley FLHS, two old Brit bikes and a 600 super sport bike. All my kids and every single one of their friends, when asked which bike they like say they like the Supersport bike best. No exceptions - every one of them.

eekadog 03-15-2006 07:57 AM

a lot of sportbikers are into the image game as well...it's kinda funny when i can out run the noobs at the drag strip...with 30 less hp and 200 more pounds.

Brent_Meeker 03-15-2006 08:10 AM

Big mistake. Harley's sell on their rebel, counterculture image. Hell's Angels is their PR department. As motorcycles they're pretty worthless. Notice how a Harley dealership looks like a clothing store. They're only functional when compared to other cruisers. If the local Ladies Bridge Club starts riding them, their badass image will be shot.

12er 03-15-2006 08:16 AM

All the customs to my knowledge are not running any HD parts. Mostly S&S and other custom engine builders. Who wants a 60hp $50k custom?

maxriderdon 03-15-2006 08:50 AM

Zuki did good w/the 109. Rode one in Daytona during bikeweek - looks much better in person than the pics, and they handle great.

maxriderdon 03-15-2006 08:56 AM

Give your daughter some credit, the Ninja 250 is a much more capable bike than the others you mentioned and there is lots of support for that little bike.