Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 02-21-2006, 02:15 PM   #31
jonnyluck
Registered Member

Default Re: H-D Daytona Events

forget this stuff, when, what time, and where is all of the real racing gonna be?? And leave the political BS somwhere else.....

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-22-2006, 12:09 AM   #32
ofreen
Registered Member

Some people may find the political discussion more interesting than discussing Harley's marketing and promotional activities at Daytona. If you don't like the 'crap', how come you've read this far?
ofreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 04:05 AM   #33
brianriley
Registered Member

Default Re: Dad got if from a wise man

Thanks for the info
brianriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 05:04 AM   #34
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

Default Re: Something to think about boys

I was joking, just like you were.

m_t_yeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 05:21 AM   #35
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

I have - I live in Canada.

The US government isn't the best in the world, so don't kid yourself. At times it is good, at times terrible, but there are plenty of governments out there doing a measureably better job at running large economies. Canada, for one, does a much better job. We've had several years of budget surpluses compared to a half trillion dollar US deficit. Our health care costs less than half of the per capita US rate, covers everyone (not just most) and gives equivalent care. Canada consistent ranks higher on the metrics that the UN uses to determine the 'best' country to live in (education, health care, death rates, etc.) and has been ranked number one several times on that index. The US is lucky to crack the top 20.

The rich in the US are getting richer, faster, than anywhere else in the world. It isn't even close compared to the next closest country, so while the trend you note is true, it is completely out of control in the States. I deal with small tech companies from around the world on a daily basis and the comments I hear from them about CEO pay over there really opened my eyes. Many companies in Europe tie CEO pay, for example, so that it is indexed to the lowest paid employee at the company. In other words, the CEO can't earn more than 10-15 times more than the lowest paid employee. Do the math and you'll see that this is probably more than 20 times less than a CEO in the US would earn at a similarly sized company.

Old 02-22-2006, 05:31 AM   #36
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

Anecdote and statistics are two different things. I'm glad you seem to always land on your feet and manage to do well. I'm the same boat you are, mainly because I got the necessary tech training to move into a new industry that seems to be growing in fits and starts.

That is by no means typical, though. When only 15% of the population even get the marks to go to a university and only a percentage of those folks can afford to go, then the bulk of the population isn't even in the market for jobs that require extensive training. It is those ordinary folks who are seeing their jobs disappear overseas or who are being forced to work in the service industry for vastly reduced pay and benefits.

The reason you hear this every generation is that once the US hit the top of the heap, the only way it could go is down. From that point on, everyone was trying to do it cheaper, better, faster than the US and jobs were only ever going to start flowing overseas to more hungry competitors. Japan and Taiwan did it first, at which point they started getting as complacent as the US ... and now it is someone else's turn (Korea, China, Indonesia).
Old 02-22-2006, 05:51 AM   #37
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

On a general level, he is right. Running a deficit - a huge one - in order to finance a world-wide grab for a diminishing resource isn't particularly forward thinking. Future generations in the US will be a long while paying off this venture, probably long after oil has more or less gone the way of the dodo.

Sweden is aiming to be the world's first oil-free economy by 2050. Japan is going to race them to that and will likely win, seeing as they have enough coastline to completely power the country using wave-powered generators, some of which are already online. Do you think the US is better prepared than either of those countries for a future where oil is pretty dear?
Old 02-22-2006, 07:58 AM   #38
sarnali
Founding Member

still saving his allowance for a battery
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 10:15 AM   #39
bigdx
Founding Member

"Running a deficit - a huge one - in order to finance a world-wide grab for a diminishing resource isn't particularly forward thinking."

LOL. Your last name wouldn't perhaps be Kennedy or Kerry?
bigdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 04:54 AM   #40
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

LOL. It's Kerredy - the clan's merged late last year. We refer to ourselves as Demohybrids.