Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 01-20-2006, 04:21 AM   #11
teknoman
Registered Member

Default Re: Harley-Davidson to open first dealership in China since WWII

Hey ,I,m gong to try to go China in August with the woman warrior,[the wife].Gonna be the only two black folks in China!Maybe I,ll try to rent a Hog.If I get back from dodging the bird flu ,pollution,brainwashing ,and Anti-Americanism,will talk to Mofo Headquarters about posting a report.
teknoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-20-2006, 11:44 PM   #12
jjasper
Founding Member

Haha, I have been to China many times since my wife is Chinese. You will encounter racism there. Chinese are very friendly to whites, but are very racist towards blacks, japanese, and middle easterners.

If you are an American though you might get better treatment as most general the populace actually really loves America and Americans despite what you hear.

Pollution is VERY bad, and make sure you get all your shots before going. If you are sticking to the big cities and not handling live poultry I wouldn't worry too much about bird-flu

Have fun! I think you will be surprised how crazy capitalistic it is there now.
jjasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 10:20 AM   #13
LiionsRest
Registered Member

"The government views motorcycles as underpowered, cheap, polluting machines that clog traffic and endanger others."

-The power-to-weight ratio of most motorcycles is superior to pretty much all other forms of transportation.

-They're cheap only if made that way. Maybe they don't get to see many quality bikes?

-Polluting compared to what? Pedestrians and bicycles, yes. Cars, trucks, buses... no. Unless you're only seeing poorly tuned two-stroke bikes belching smoke, of course. Maybe there's more of them in the mix than in other countries?

-Clog traffic compared to what? Same as previous point.

-Endanger others? Puh-leeze! Ridden responsibly, I'd say motorcycles have a lot less potential for harming others (besides the pilot) than most forms of motorized conveyance.

My conclusion is the Chinese government may very well have it's scalp bumping up underneath it's colon. They're repressive enough, at any rate.

Harley has got to have some kind of angle or deal to sweeten the venture. On the surface, it just doesn't sound like a good gamble.