Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 02-09-2001, 11:33 AM   #31
Neal
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycles are fun for everyone!

AMEN!!!!!!!If you ever in the southern Maryland area,lets ride!!!
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2001, 11:52 AM   #32
fwalters
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycles are fun for everyone! Even HD

Amen, few people spend 20k just to look cool, no matter how much cash they've got. We all ride because we love it to one degree or another. If someone buys a bike but doesn't love it you won't see them on the street for long.
fwalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 12:25 PM   #33
hamatsu
Founding Member

Default Re: The XR750 in street trim is sweet too !

Neal,

I didn't mean to pee in your cornflakes. I think Guzzi's, the Daytona and 1100 are very cool. I also like the BMW R1100GS. And I've seen an XR750 in street trim that was vvveeerrrryyyy sweet. I'm not shallow enough to harp on people for not riding sportbikes but I think that some reality checks are needed from time to time. Ever seen a Vincent ? Or an Elgi-Vincent ? Now that is something I would pay 30 large for. For the Ducati "farm machinery" post earlier...it was gun barrels that they made, not farm equipment. And Aprilia ? Would you believe it was furniture ?
hamatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 12:31 PM   #34
hamatsu
Founding Member

Default Re: CNNfn on Harley-Davidson

So that you can take the clutch basket out of the running one and put it in the broken one ? HA !! Flame away...it was a joke I couldn't resist !
Old 02-09-2001, 12:39 PM   #35
hamatsu
Founding Member

Default Re: Uhm.....he's right ya' know.

I really have to agree with Nick on that one. They are easy to ride and very unintimidating which is probably why so many women ride them too. Admit it...you don't see too many women on GSXR's, ZX's, RR's, etc.. Of course their tits get in the way of being able to put an elbow on the tank on a long ride but that's beside the point. I TOTALLY agree with the last sentence. You put the same yuppie dentist on a new GSXR1000 and his shaking would probably roll the turd he put in his underwear right down and out of his pants leg.
Old 02-09-2001, 04:30 PM   #36
Neal
Founding Member

Default Re: The XR750 in street trim is sweet too !

man you're talkin to a guy whos been around a long time and LOVES ALL bikes

Not only have I seen an Egli Vincent...Ive ridden one(about a 1/4 mile).

A friend of mine has a Sportster which he's gonna put a hybrid sportster/Xr750 motor into.Dont ask me the details...the motor is being built by Bobby Hoh who tuned for the factory when Cal Rayborn raced.

The owner of the Egli has 2 KR750's which Bobby tunes and a friend of mine races in AHRMA.I got no bucks so I have to be content to race vintage motocross with Aermacchi HD's(2 BAJA's and a Sprint and a Redline BAJA.

So Im not a newby ....been riding for a long time and love it.I'm

gonna put my son on one of the BAJA's at Daytona and race him

How many of us get to do that!!!!keep an open mind and keep the rubber side down.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2001, 06:08 AM   #37
tubamotorcycle
Founding Member

Tony,

You're rightt there is a mystique to the H-D brand, solidified by the biker gangs in the 60s and 70s, as well as by famous movies like "Easy Rider" (I don't think "Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man" helped out too much).

H-D has become an American Icon, just like baseball (arguably which is played better in Latin American countries, although the players do come to the US to play for the $$$), Jazz music, and Sousa Marches.

H-D will never lose that emotional appeal, but times will change. Can you image people from 1910 being told that Sears would drop its catalog service? Or that Woolworth's (another former American icon) would close its doors? When H-D produces enough bikes to meet demand, the prices will drop to competitive levels (which is why the USA placed higher tariffs on imported Japanse bikes for H-D in the first place), and everyone will be happy.

The market will never fall out, it will just change, and Harley knows that--just look at all the accessory parts and clothing they offer (all which seems to be of top quality).
tubamotorcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2001, 06:14 AM   #38
tubamotorcycle
Founding Member

Default Polaris Sportbikes...

Give Polaris some time. They are doing okay at the moment (their stock is actually better than H-D's at the moment). They've added one bike a year to their motorcycle line. Currently there is a cruiser, a deluxe cruiser (comes accessoried for cruising), and a sportscruiser. The rumor mill has suggested that 3 things are going down with the Victory line.

First, they are feverishly working to create an actual touring bike, knowing that many current owners of Victory Motorcycles want this.

Second, they may discontinue the SportCruiser after this year, but we're not sure. Sales were not fantastic in its first year, but this year may pick up. Easy Rider just named the SC the "SportCruiser of the Year"

Third, rumors abound that Victory will produce a sportbike as well as a smaller entry-level cruiser. They are committed to the motorcycle market, and have goals to produce 20,000 motorcycles a year. Currently they manufacture about 4000 a year. H-D will make 26,000 Fat Boys alone in 2001, so you can see that Polaris offers no threat whatsoever. But what Polaris can do is to simply change things quicker than the large manufacturers. Since Polaris is committed to competitive snowmobiling, expect a sportbike eventually...it's in the blood of the company.
Old 02-10-2001, 06:16 AM   #39
tubamotorcycle
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycles are fun for everyone! Even HD

You might not see them long, but you can usually get a heck of a deal on a bike that somebody just doesn't want anymore. I say, "GO MIDLIFE CRISIS!!!"
Old 02-11-2001, 03:06 PM   #40
wing
Founding Member

Maybe the traditional Harley riders, the ones that owned them before they became fasionable, will be able to afford them again.
wing is offline   Reply With Quote