Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 02-09-2001, 09:17 AM   #21
bigfred
Founding Member

Default Re: CNNfn on Harley-Davidson

uh.. I think he said sport bike.
bigfred is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2001, 09:22 AM   #22
ZRXRy
Founding Member

Comment:

People who knowingly (and if the deal's too good to be true, it probably is) buy stolen good are just as big of pieces of as the people who do the stealing. Without a market for stolen goods, one suspects the incentive to steal would be greatly reduced.

I HATE THEVIN' AND THE PEOPLE WHO BUY THEIR STUFF!!!
ZRXRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 09:25 AM   #23
jel
Founding Member

I'm not an expert in HD history, but if memory serves, the only reason HD is even around today is because the US Government put huge taxes on imported motorcycles when sold in the US during the 80's. So, everytime someone went out and bought a foreign motorcycle, HD got a piece of that sale. (Can't remember if it was at the time of sale or just the time of import.)

jel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 09:41 AM   #24
moonline
Founding Member

Having begun my facination with all two wheeled motor-driven devices over forty years ago, starting with a lawnmower engine powered minibike, I have ridden just about every type of bike out there. Of course, I prefer to ride my knee-scrapin', wheelie-poppin' sport bike (which I trade ever two or three years for no intelligent reason), I finally broke down and bought an HD as a second bike 'cause my girlfriend likes it, primarily because it is so shiny, I guess. Chicks like Harley's, end of story. Does that make her and other babes like her somewhat superficial? I suppose it does, but then she got the boob job for me, so who am I to point fingers?
moonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 10:19 AM   #25
nshark
Founding Member

Don't hold your breath waiting for the bottom to drop out of the HD market. They will be in demand when the rice burners and bratwurst grillers have bitten the dust. When you mention to someone that your going riding they don't ask, Do you have a BMW or Honda , it's do you have a Harley, the American bike. I agree that some dealers have overpriced their product. Fortunately, I've had the pleasure of buying from honest ones. Who cares if the uppercrust is buying them. I saved for a long time to buy mine and am proud to be a HD owner. There is a bond with those who ride, and probably a greater one with those who ride Harleys. So good luck to you wanna be-s, see you on the road.
nshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 10:56 AM   #26
donzi
Founding Member

At what?
donzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 11:22 AM   #27
kz1000ken
Founding Member

Default Motorcycles are fun for everyone!

When I was in high school I wanted a bike, BAD. I scraped together (in 1991) $250 for a 1972 Honda CB350. I loved it, I didnt care that everyone laughed at it, it was the thrill of riding. I gradually moved up thru cb750s to a mighty KZ1000. I have put tens of thousands of miles on bikes in all seasons, rain, snow, everything.

I am now graduated from college and have a job. I am a computer programmer, and I now own a new ZRX1100, and a 1983 BMW RT. I know what it means to love bikes and love riding. If you want to say that because someone worked hard to educate themselves, and now is reaping the financial rewards that they are not REAL bikers, then you are sorely misguided. I am not a fast rider, I am not the best rider, but I love to ride. I have fallen off, and I get back on. I do not hide under bridges in the rain, and my bike is not a fashion statement, altho it is a gorgeous machine.

Dentists who ride HD's, Software guys on new Kawasakis, whatever, these are the guys who have spent many hours trying to get their old rats to run before they could afford to buy a newer bike. I know my bikes had more miles up and down than forward.

Sure there are guys out there riding to look cool, but every sport has those participants. We as bikers should stick together, rather than insulting the people who are fortunate enough to own the machine of their dreams.

-Ken

kz1000ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 11:23 AM   #28
kz1000ken
Founding Member

Default Motorcycles are fun for everyone! Even HD's

When I was in high school I wanted a bike, BAD. I scraped together (in 1991) $250 for a 1972 Honda CB350. I loved it, I didnt care that everyone laughed at it, it was the thrill of riding. I gradually moved up thru cb750s to a mighty KZ1000. I have put tens of thousands of miles on bikes in all seasons, rain, snow, everything.

I am now graduated from college and have a job. I am a computer programmer, and I now own a new ZRX1100, and a 1983 BMW RT. I know what it means to love bikes and love riding. If you want to say that because someone worked hard to educate themselves, and now is reaping the financial rewards that they are not REAL bikers, then you are sorely misguided. I am not a fast rider, I am not the best rider, but I love to ride. I have fallen off, and I get back on. I do not hide under bridges in the rain, and my bike is not a fashion statement, altho it is a gorgeous machine.

Dentists who ride HD's, Software guys on new Kawasakis, whatever, these are the guys who have spent many hours trying to get their old rats to run before they could afford to buy a newer bike. I know my bikes had more miles up and down than forward.

Sure there are guys out there riding to look cool, but every sport has those participants. We as bikers should stick together, rather than insulting the people who are fortunate enough to own the machine of their dreams.

-Ken

kz1000ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 11:26 AM   #29
PASQUENELL
Founding Member

As a 15,000 mi a yr ,30 yr rider who has ridden everything from a super 90 to a HD ultra, with cruisers , dirt bikes and crotch rockets along the way, may i say that the TRUE WANNA-BE is someone who thinks you gotta ride a certain kind of bike to be a biker. A biker lives in your soul if you get it you know, if you don't you buy chrome,and T shirts, Hope you live long enough to figure that out,
PASQUENELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 11:28 AM   #30
Neal
Founding Member

Actually thats only partially true......the turnaround was already underway when the tarrifs were implemented,They just gave HD some breathing room

Also of interest is the fact that HDE requested the tariffs be lifted early

The turnaround was a result of some very gutsy financial finagling

and significant production initiatives and improvement.There is a book about the turnaround that makes good reading whether you like Harleys or not.I believe the title is "Made well in America".I believe it is still in print.

Neal
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote