Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 02-09-2001, 03:50 AM   #11
hamatsu
Founding Member

Default Re: Fat maybe, but rich ?

Neal, sorry to burst your bubble but some of us are old enough to remember what HD represented 20 years ago. Back in 71' I was riding an RD350 and had an uncle that had a 1200 Sportster. Man, that bike was the biggest piece of monkey-dump I've ever ridden !! I still ride sportbikes (93 GSXR, 00 TLS) and still think that HD's are farm implements. They may serve a purpose for many of the posers you see on them now but they certainly haven't done much on the technology front to improve the breed. People bash HD cause, face it, they still make an inferior product that is WAY overpriced. There is no way that HD will ever try to cater to the sportbike crowd. They've been whipping that dead horse VR1000 for seven years now and when they homogilated it (in Poland, no less) it was well into the $30K range then. 30 large for an under-performing sportbike is crazy !

You are dreaming if you think that when the used bike market becomes flooded with HD's that people will be picking them up and the "younger hipper sport oriented crowd" will be looking at Harley's. Pigs will never fly Neal.
hamatsu is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2001, 05:06 AM   #12
Choptop
Founding Member

Default Re: CNNfn on Harley-Davidson

Uhh, the bottom falling out of the Harley market? huh, been waiting since 1942 for the value of my Harley to drop, hasnt happened yet. Not likely to either.
Choptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 05:47 AM   #13
NickdaBrick
Founding Member

Default Here's the deal:

Harely is and likely shall remain the dominant force in the American bike market for some time to come for one reason: it's the only motorcycle that people who don't know much about motorcycles know anything about. And it's not just because of the rebel image, but because of the bikes. They look tough, but apart from being on the heavy side, are not too intimidating to ride. A dentist with a bunch of cash burning a hole in his pocket can get on one, ride it around the block, and feel like a hero, and it will still be fun when he gains a bit more confidence and takes it out on the road. Put the same novice rider on, say, a Gixxer 1000, and if he doesn't kill himself in the first hundred yards, he'll come back white as a sheet and shaking uncontrollably.
NickdaBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 06:33 AM   #14
Seance
Founding Member

Where have you been? Polaris does make Cruisers. Ever hear of Victory?
Seance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 06:39 AM   #15
Seance
Founding Member

Right said!
Old 02-09-2001, 07:00 AM   #16
Seance
Founding Member

Right said on Neal's point, There are reasons why H-D's are so popular, not nessecarily based on technological surpremacy,this is different from sport bikes. Ride what gives you grins! I think there are some surprises coming from H-D in the near future and I think they will become more competitive on the racing circuit. Ducati is still running their "farm machine" technology, they just found thier groove. Relax and enjoy the ride.
Old 02-09-2001, 07:18 AM   #17
Neal
Founding Member

Default Re: Fat maybe, but rich ?

First of all thanks for the tone of your post.Its nice to know folks can disagree completely and still be civil.But i think you missed my point

I didnt mean that the younger hipper crowd will want Harleys as we now know them.My point is if Harley is to survive,they must develope product to attract the younger hipper crowd.This would entail ,in my opinion:replacing the VR with a competitive bike,bringing the porsche project to fruition and developing a viable line of sportbikes,sport tourers and muscle cruisers.

I too have my doubts whether they can pull it off but rather than denigrate their efforts I will root for their success.I think my 19 year, old ZX600R riding son hit it when he said that if the Buell X1 had a water cooled reliable modern engine he'd buy one...when he got a little older.His generation is HD's hope for surviving into the future not our generation 0r the 20/30 something close minded harley bashers and DEFINITELY NOT the Yuppie posers who give us old hard headed guys a bad name.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 07:23 AM   #18
Neal
Founding Member

Thanks Seance,hamatsu may be right i may be dreaming but i still think there is a chance HD can pull it off.....nobody thought tyey would survive the Horror of the 70's either.By the way how much grief you think id get if I mentioned how cool I thought Guzzis are?!

Neal
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 07:57 AM   #19
stevegrab
Founding Member

Default Re: Here

That's a great point about them being "the only motorcycle that people who don't know much about motorcycles know anything about."

When I first got a bike (Suzuki Bandit 600) in 98, and were telling people I started riding a motorcycle, what do you think was the first thing they said? "Is it a Hog/H-D/Harley?" Or "Oh, so you're one of those Harley bikers?" And if you said no, then the only other thing they might know was, "Oh, so you're one of those crazies on a crotch-rocket."

Yep. Either way, Harley will not fall that quickly. Too much pent up demand, and too many yuppies (not just in their 40s & 50s, but also 20s and 30s) with disposable income, and a desire to be bad, or at least have their friends think they look bad.

I'm sure there are a lot of true motorcycle enthusiasts that buy and ride Harleys, but quite a lot of people buying them mainly for image.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 08:03 AM   #20
Seance
Founding Member

Actually, Guzzis are cool! Before I bought my Buell I was thinking about a Guzzi, that new sport-standard one, but there are no dealers in my area.