Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 12-07-2005, 12:57 PM   #11
nitrofly
Founding Member

Default Re: A Harley doing the Dakar Rally?

It's not a harley, it's a porsche. Nobody would be foolish enough to attempt the dakar on a gen-yuuu-whine harley motor.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-07-2005, 01:15 PM   #12
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Dude, I'm a rightous Harley owner with plenty of built-in sarcasm.

Good luck in your effort.

PS What does a race-modified turn signal do?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 01:19 PM   #13
Voyagerjohn
Registered Member

Bravo!

Go get them and have fun but be sure and remember that there are some of us who wish you the Best of Luck.

Think of the Headlines if you win!
Voyagerjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 01:35 PM   #14
smithrob75
Founding Member

The reason it's such a big deal is because Harley's don't do this sort of thing, which is pretty pathetic. I'd say 95% of Harley's sold live pampered lives with heated garages, covers, and constant attention. On the flip side Japanese bikes tend to be ridden hard and put away wet, raced, abused, and actually used like a motorcycle should be.

Also Japanese bikes have been doing this sort of thing for what 30-40 years, also most bikes they build we made better by competition. I tell you what, when they do this for 10-15 years I may give them some respect..

Oh yea, I started racing motocross when I was 14, I'd say that's challenging, no??
Old 12-07-2005, 02:11 PM   #15
eojmo
Founding Member

Good luck to them I say! If the chassis design and build are good enough plus the rider experience, thereÂ’s no reason why the V Rod motor wonÂ’t take the punishment. ItÂ’s robust, compact and puts out enough power for the task. I remember when US and European armchair experts and critics ridiculed the RussianÂ’s for entering a team using Kamas trucks .How stupid and arrogant they looked when the "antiquated and low tech " Russian trucks left the supposedly cream of the world buried and broken in the desert sands.
eojmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 02:54 PM   #16
Zijspan
Founding Member

The standard turn signal module kills the engine if the bike tips over (safety feature). On a sidecar, if you turn really hard (i.e. race), the sensor thinks the bike is tipping over because the sideways G-forces are so high. It's not helpful if you're racing and the engine shuts off every time to take a corner hard. SO . . . if you're going to race a modern Harley (or many other bikes with similar tip-over-sensors), with a sidecar, you have to find a way to disable this. On the V-Rod, the bike won't run without the turn signal module because that's part of the anti-theft system. My solution was to open it up, reverse engineer it, and find a way to trick the G-sensor into thinking it's always level. I did this with a circuit trace cut and two resisters. The result is a "race modified turn signal module".

On the surface some things may seem ridiculous. But when you know all the facts, it all makes sense!

Zijspan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 03:43 PM   #17
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Maybe you can trick my Geezer Glide turn signal into thinking it's always leaned over.

And let's not kid ourselves about "modern Harleys"

hee hee hee
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 03:56 PM   #18
Zijspan
Founding Member

Just for the record, I admire the "effort", but I question the brains. (Does that still make me a "Loser"?)

Probably not a loser, just someone who has different goals, desires, and knowledge.

One of the finer point, if it wasn't for the subscription money of all the "losers" we wouldn't know you existed.

I guess you missed our photo on the MO homepage a year ago, with mention in corresponding article. And you missed our feature on 2-Wheel Tuesday on SPEED channel a while back. And you missed the dozen print magazines and hundreds of web sites that have featured our project. And you didn't seeing us on ESPN winning the Pikes Peak Hillclimb several times. But no matter, our fun comes from being on the track, not being famous. There are plenty of "winners" in here, just not everyone.

Zijspan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 05:00 PM   #19
seruzawa
The Toad

Well, why not? I used to see guys running XLCHs on scrambles and desert races back in the 60's.

Old 12-07-2005, 05:37 PM   #20
Fenton
Founding Member

Let me back up, I think what you are doing is very cool. I also think you guys are nuts. I first ran across your website when researching "hacks" after the Old Hwy 40 race at Donner.

My point is, insulting the readers or viewers of the media that is promoting your sport seems short sighted and rude. The reason these events have sponsors is because they are going to get media coverage, and the circle is complete.

No harm, no foul. Best of luck.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote