Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 10-06-2005, 08:59 AM   #81
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley Stock Down Over Six Percent

Good point! Hey I am just saying like or not its global market these days. We here on the West Coast have had to make the tough adjustment.
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-06-2005, 09:01 AM   #82
Hutchinator
Founding Member

Default Re: Would they do the same for you?

Errr... Daimler-Chrysler not import? Is European, yes?
Old 10-06-2005, 09:11 AM   #83
Fenton
Founding Member

"KP's meds are working great today"

-Fenton
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 09:12 AM   #84
Hutchinator
Founding Member

Sez you. Born/raised CA, still give preference to USA.

Here's the way I look at it. I rate most things I want to buy on a scale of 1-10 overall, and go for the highest. Import is automaticly -1 (maybe -2, depends on market) from the get-go. Now, if they have a product that tech, quality, and price can overcome that and exceed the US product (not meet, would still defer US then), then they have my money. Not too tall of an order, I own a fair amount of imported items.

V-Twin Ducs tie with Buell is many ways, and a couple metics come close to Victory/HD. Again, must exceed overall for me since what I am looking for is the total package, including who I voting for (as in company) as much as what (product). Money=vote.

Old 10-06-2005, 09:19 AM   #85
SRMark
Founding Member

Given my latest crappy experience at a Harley shop when I tried show some interest in a Ulysses, it is little wonder Harley is experiencing bloated inventory levels. I hope my local shop's careless customer attitudes are not indicative of Harley/Buell dealers throughout the country. This latest news makes me think it may be epidemic. Hopefully this bad economic news will wake them up and they will begin to pay attention to their customers. BTW, I saw a bunch of Buell riders (40ish) in this area the other day. I didn't know Buell riders got together like the other Harley lemmings. It was kind of fun seeing that many Buells in one place.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 09:21 AM   #86
Buzglyd
Founding Member

You might want to check Victory and Yamaha's prices because they're every bit as expensive as a H-D.

If the heritage thing doesn't matter how come Victory is already slapping "since 1954" on the tank badge.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 09:22 AM   #87
mesoglea
Founding Member

Default Buell

Test rode a 2004 XB9R at Laguna Seca during WSB. The bike that was aimed at 600s fell short. Cheap hand controls and a clunky transmission. It pulled in 3rd gear like my 6 year old 900RR pulls in 6th.

Buell is TRYING to make a sportbike to compete with imports, that's cool. But don't sell it like its the best out there because its an American made machine.

HD riders tell import riders to "get a real bike". I say, get a real engine. how about a 90 degree twin or an inline 4? HD has the money, they refuse to cough it up because they know the majority of would be riders are ignorant and will buy if advertised to.

Racing leads to improvement, HD doesn't race anymore. They are stagnating.

I feel the HD line is too expensive for what you are getting. Newer riders are younger riders. They don't have the income compared to an older rider. How can HD influence the younger crowd if they sell bikes priced the same as small cars?
mesoglea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 09:27 AM   #88
bboule
Founding Member

I think H-Ds lineup has gotten a lot better over the 5 years I've been riding. There is still nothing I want to run out and buy but they have definitely gotten more interesting.

I will be really interested in seeing what happens with the company over the next 5 years. It would be a shame if the baby boomers getting old really hurts H-D right at the moment they are finally putting out more and more exciting products. But for all we know this is just a dead spot and they are going to come out with something that will finally attract us younger riders.

All that said, I think if the stock drops a bunch in the next couple weeks I will buy some, I would like to bet on H-D as they are all we have left. Even though I really don't like their current bikes enough to buy one, I really want to believe they are going to pull it off and build world class bikes so we can truly have something American to be proud of...

Other people mention crappy dealer experiences. Like I said I haven't bought one but I've gone in a few from time to time to look at Buells, I bought a couple small items from their clothing department when it was the best thing available, and I've never felt like they have a crappy store/dealer experience at all.
bboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 09:30 AM   #89
bmwdude
Founding Member

I was working in the industry, in a metric bike shop when the so called "Harley Tax" went into effect. In my opinion the metric bike makers stepped up to the plate and hit one over the fence in response. That's been a while ago hasn't it? 82/84?

It's hard to imagine HD going to lawmakers now crying about "not being able to compete!!"

As for their stock slipping now. They have been riding the bad boy biker fad for several years now. I think folks are starting to get tired of it. Like all fads this one will also end.

In my eyes at least, I feel there are some good points to all of these novice riders, all dressed up like pirates wobbling down the road on bikes that are waaaay too big for them, moving on. Perhaps it's time for some of these folks to take up knitting or what ever the next fad is. This would be better for us all.

As some of you have mentioned this should have the effect of bringing the prices down to a level the rest of us are willing to pay. I'd love to have a street rod, but not at these prices. Same deal with the used market; absolutely silly prices. Waaaay tooo high for what you get.
bmwdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 09:46 AM   #90
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Yes but most Chrysler still are designed and assembled in the U.S.
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote