Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 10-06-2005, 09:17 AM   #71
gas_pig
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley Stock Down Over Six Percent

Me too.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-06-2005, 09:25 AM   #72
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Another prediction from the Great Motorcycle Prophet (kpaul) comes true. Demographics is the key. Buells are interesting but most young squids here on the West (Best) coast are buying Japanese Sportbikes, Nakeds, and Italian bikes. Some Triumphs. The predominant buyer for cruisers here is over 45. Buying American means nothing out here where import cars are so popular. Trade is a big thing here in Seattle as one would expect. Either you compete globally or die.... The buy American thing is predominate back home in the Red States. Out here things happen here first (outsourcing) and move inward. i.e we have been there done that. Remember you are competing globally now...best to get your act together, inovate and just excecute better.
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 09:34 AM   #73
Fenton
Founding Member

Default Re: Do you hate HD?

I'll check it out the cxs.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 09:35 AM   #74
gas_pig
Founding Member

Default Re: Do you hate HD?

Buell is trying to copy Japan? IMHO Buell is one of the bright spots of HD. They've finally got a reliable and attractive product that to me imitates nobody else. Forget about brand names; I really like the CityX. I've sat on one but have yet to ride it though.

Upright (dirtbike like) seating, light weight, quick handling, low maintenance (I can't say 1st hand though), air-cooled twin, centralized mass, and unique style.

Whether it's your cup of tea or not, I don't see many similarities with much else except for 2 weels, a seat, and some handlebars.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:48 AM   #75
gas_pig
Founding Member

I think your pretty much correct on Seattle here, however you missed a big gap in age.

At 35 I'm selling my FZ1 and looking for something a bit lighter, standard still, quicker handling, and not an inline 4. I don't care about top speed so much anymore and my DRZ400S thumper covers a lot of fun at the lower end of the spectrum. So far the Buell CityX, Ducati S2R, and perhaps even the Triumph Scrambler are on my wish list. Too bad there aren't more twins between 700cc - 999cc that aren't either cruisers or sportbike. I'd possibly consider a Sporty if the pegs were further back and the frames weren't so small for someone 6'. The SV650 has cheap suspension components and is also too small for me to be comfortable on.

No cruisers though, I still like to toss bikes around and the reclining position would kill be quicker than my DRZ.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:49 AM   #76
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Only Buy American if it is as GOOD!!!

Hey I agree with you abouth the loss of manufacturing jobs. But in the Harley case its no really true. Harley is not putting out a state to the art product (perhaps the V-Rod). I had to come to the hard conclusion that I am living in a global world where I have to compete with engineers all over the world. I am not about to spend my hard earned cash on bike that is inferior just cause I want to fit in. If others want to more power to them. But I refuse to buy American if the product is crap. That said I have 3 Chryslers (2 assembled in the U.S. one in Canada) that are every bit as good as the Hondas, Toyotas, Mazdas I have had in the past.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:50 AM   #77
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Yep I agree. If Buell had a better engine it would sell gangbusters to the tweener crowd.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:51 AM   #78
nesbit
Founding Member

Neither HD or HOG encourage pr portray elitism in their marketing, but many dealers do, as they feel they only have status/nostalgia as a sales tool in the absence of impressive performance specs. My experience has been that knowing which HD you want and being ready to buy right now and at MSRP, will almost always result in you getting your price. Likewise, insist that setup & freight charges be at MSRP, as well. In the current HD market a satisfactory outcome will be almost certain. Forget whether the sales guy is an incompetent or not. You're not buying him or the dealership, your buying the bike YOU want. So keep your eye on the mission at hand. Beside, haven't we all discovered that we know more about the machine than the salesman does and have to help and correct him on the way to HIS sale? On the competitiveness front, HD really needs to go to a 1550 (big bore stage) motor as factory standard along with EFI or carbs as a NO CHARGE option. Afterall, there really isn't any cost differential between carbs and EFI anymore. Lastly, as Americans we need to start looking at the foreign exchange rate, balance of payment scenario, and how important it is, more than ever, to buy products manufacturerd and assembled in the USA. HD can contribute to strengthening our economy by starting to specify American made components. Using imports for a component % of 40 to 60% on their machines, is totally unnecessary and counter productive to maintaining our manufacturing base and the JOBS it creates. Lastly, get ready to pounce on the HD stock when it bottoms. Our time has come!
nesbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 09:54 AM   #79
Hutchinator
Founding Member

You're starting the Red v. Blue thing again.

If you're not careful, Buzglyd will tell your wife and she'll bann you again.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:57 AM   #80
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Would they do the same for you?

Hey the exchange rate will take care of itself if currencies are allowed to float. I have to compete globally so should Harley. If HD is as good or better as the imports buy it. If it is not then don't reward incompetence. Foreign companies like Toyota, Honda can take American labor and engineering and make world class products so it must be American Management. But HD stuff is overpriced and don't reward them for that cause you think it is patroitic. Would they do the same for you? By the way I have three Chryslers which were cheaper than the imports and I have had no trouble with them.

"If you can buy a better car somewhere else buy it" Lee Iaacoca...