Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 10-06-2005, 07:00 AM   #51
tomk2
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley Stock Down Over Six Percent

This drop has less to do with Harley as a company and more to do with the current direction of the US economy. The housing & refi bubble built on cheap easy credit is slowing down and big ticket discretionary consumer purchasing will slow with it.
tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-06-2005, 07:01 AM   #52
jackstraw
Registered Member

I think Harley's are great iconic motorcycles but why would I go to the dealership, get harrased and ridiculed because I'm questioning spending $21,000 for a MOTORCYCLE. These people harrass you, want you to spend 2-3k OVER msrp, buy all their accessories and want me to be happy about it?!?!? It's no wonder they are going down. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have the new Softail Deluxe in that 2-tone blue and white (it's sooooo sweet) but I'm not going to spend $2750 over the asking price for a motorcycle that they still make!!

It's off to the Victory dealer I go!!!
jackstraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 07:02 AM   #53
Fenton
Founding Member

Default Re: Do you hate HD?

Point taken and yes they are in the price range. Since I don't have that report in front of me, is the honda ranked below buick? Also, to avoid sounding like whinning, I own and have owned several American, German and Japanese autos. Three years is a great bench-mark, talk to me about 150,000 miles with a century or lacrosse.

And since you mentioned it, Who would want a buick century
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 07:08 AM   #54
sarnali
Founding Member

I hear they even have UNIONS!!!!!!!!! how low can they get, selling bikes that are fun to ride and paying their workers decent wages and bennies........it's downright un-American
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 07:09 AM   #55
Fenton
Founding Member

Pdad13- I don't know if it is "square on the head" but the nail is flush with the board.

Well said.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:10 AM   #56
wayback
Founding Member

Ok, now we'll hear the nonsense about HD being an American icon, we should support the last American bike manufacturer, trouble at HD means trouble for America, and all the rest of that crap. The truth is -- HD's are less "American" than a Victory, no more American than your average Honda, and doesn't represent anything other than some people's need to be part of the pack. If someone wants a v-twin cruiser there is no good reason to buy a HD other than wanting to be part of that "lifestyle". Other v-twins are better technology, better style, and way better cost-wise. Let's see, if I want a big inch v-twin with power and torque I can pay 2-3K over list to a dealer that treets me like dirt, get a bike that wasn't worth the list price to begin with, spend another 2-5K for upgrades to make the engine do what it should do anyway, and end up with a 25-30K "icon", or I could just go buy a Victory, Yamaha, or any of the others and get the whole package for half the price. Geez, did anybody reallly think HD could keep doing what they've been doing forever? They won't go out of business but I'll bet that HD a few years from now will operate a little different than it does now.
wayback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 07:14 AM   #57
jackstraw
Registered Member

src='http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/new/8_22/36_1_75.gif' alt='Bravo' border=0>
jackstraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 07:14 AM   #58
Fenton
Founding Member

Did you get that new Dyna? I remember you looking. I went down to check out the new Street Bob on sunday. They didn't have one but the Ulysess looks neat and the bags are really nice.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:23 AM   #59
sarnali
Founding Member

stuff like that is a dealership issue. Around the Puget Sound area, most dealers are at MSRP, in fact on the '05 Dyna I just bought the dealership ate the freight and set-up because it was the last carb. '05 they had. I can live without "the attitude" myself, but for the most part they're a decent bunch of people with a genuine love for their product who like to ride, to me that's better than some 20 year old tryng to sell me a bike he doesn't know anything about.

I figure no ones making you buy anything, if it's not what you want then get something else
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 07:25 AM   #60
edward44
Founding Member

Default Re: Pot meet kettle

surmise (transitive verb): to imagine or infer on slight grounds.

Right you are, dude.
edward44 is offline   Reply With Quote