Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 10-06-2005, 07:15 AM   #41
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Default Re: Harley Stock Down Over Six Percent

I agree as well. I think that overall the Bandit and ZRX1200 are great bikes that would continue to represent exceptional value into the foreseeable future. That said, I wouldn't mind seeing a similiar bike lighter and better handling with the same kind of Big 'ol High Torque lightly stressed engine that forms the core of Bandit and Rex owners affection (the same engines even!).
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-06-2005, 07:19 AM   #42
cybris
Registered Member

Default Re: Do you hate HD?

The Buick century has the highest quality over a three year period, and the lacrosse it's replacement has the highest intial quality. Before you start well who wants a century, rememberyou asked what American car has build quality of a Honda accord.
cybris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 07:21 AM   #43
maxriderdon
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley Stock Down Over Six Percent

LMAO!
Old 10-06-2005, 07:30 AM   #44
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Pot meet kettle

One could surmise you are the benchmark for snotty attitudes.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 07:33 AM   #45
maxriderdon
Founding Member

Show me the "Made In USA" Sticker on an HD. Go ahead look for it. Now get real, take a look at how much of a Honda is US assembly/parts vs. HD. After you get the facts, you still would not buy the Honda just because it's a Jap name, right?
Old 10-06-2005, 07:37 AM   #46
Hutchinator
Founding Member

Thank you, I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking along these lines.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:43 AM   #47
Hutchinator
Founding Member

Default Naming Game

Saturn Ion Sedan
Old 10-06-2005, 07:47 AM   #48
pdad13
Founding Member

H-D is so polarizing for a number of reasons, most of which I won't go into here. But you must admit that many hardcore H-D enthusiasts have created an us-against-them atmosphere in regards to people who choose to ride other brands and types of bikes. That doesn't mean that many H-D riders aren't inclusive, but that has been the trend. Of course, smartly, the company has used this to their advantage. But, naturally, this has created some resentment, which, in turn, leads to the famous p*ssing matches. I've heard H-D owners more than a few times refer to their bikes as "real motorcycles," whatever that means.

I think another big issue gets to the heart of your post. In reality, H-D is more of a marketing company than a manufacturing company. And people that don't identify with the H-D lifestyle are totally put off by this. It's anathema to many people that veiw themselves as "serious" motorcyclists. Obviously, it's been a very effective business proposition for the last decade +, but maybe H-D is overplaying its hand. When you can buy almost any trinket with H-D branding on it, it's a clear indication of oversaturation. And people really resent oversaturation after a while.

Then you've got widespread dealer arrogance, price gouging, which is widely reported by even H-D owners, and an extremely conservative product development philosophy that excludes basically anyone that doesn't buy into the "mystique." Plus they're charging premium prices for a product that is really not premium in most senses and is now about as exclusive as aluminum foil.

Add all of this to the fact that H-D has dominated the U.S. market and it's maddening to people that "have to ask and don't understand."

pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 07:48 AM   #49
Hutchinator
Founding Member

Pretty Much

HQ-USA v. HQ-Japan for not enough of a superior product/ price break to make up that difference.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:58 AM   #50
mesoglea
Founding Member

I hate their prices and their lack of modern technology. If Japan offers a better built bike for less, why should I buy American?

Can any mass produced affordable car from the 1940s compare with any car built today in regards to design, safety, performance and value? NO.

With all that money that HD rakes in with absurd bike prices and accessories, why don't they take a chance and really design a new bike? The V-rod is nothing but an American copy of a Japanese copied American bike. HD chose to go to the German Italians and French for engine help! Why didn't they keep it in our country and ask Ford, Dodge or Chevy for engine design help? What does that say for their faith in American engineering?

Buell is trying to copy Japan, badly.

Harley is an elitist status symbol that uses marketing to force-feed us the image of being the best.

Nostalgia? Evolve or die.
mesoglea is offline   Reply With Quote