Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 10-07-2005, 11:01 AM   #221
triumph900
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley Stock Down Over Six Percent

So if you buy a certain brand of motorcycle, you're mandated to associate with specific individuals? Where do you people get this stuff??

I've owned various HD products (as well as other brands) on and off since 1992. I've never been on a poker run, never rode to a bar, always wear a full face helmet, always wear riding gear, have never owned chaps.

All of the people that hold to this stupid stereotype and have the nerve to call people who own HD products members of a herd need to reassess who's in what herd.
triumph900 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-07-2005, 11:56 AM   #222
caderider
Registered Member

Default Re: Do you hate HD?

I did
Old 10-07-2005, 12:04 PM   #223
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: If H-D is reading

Buz, now that's using your noggin.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 12:23 PM   #224
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Just to stir it up

The Vance & Hines "V-Rod" is no such thing. It's a custom drag chassis stuffed with a hugh S&S motor. I'm not sure there are any H-D parts on it, save for the logos.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 12:37 PM   #225
jvbruce
Registered Member

Triumph, my comment says 'would find myself associated with', not 'would associate with'. You're right, it's not fair to be associated with, or categorized, as a certain type of person just because of the bike you choose to ride. But, allow 100 people to draw a picture of a 'Harley' rider and most would depict the person I described earlier. That is because of the image Harley wants to portray - and how most Harley riders want to be identified. Compare of photograph of Sturgis attendees to a photograph of BMW rally attendees. Different crowd. Certainly, I recognize that Harley can't afford to alienate this crowd, but they can't afford NOT to attract new riders either. In you, they've found someone who can have the best of both worlds. But, you are not the norm.
jvbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 02:04 PM   #226
fireworks
Founding Member

No offense but I don't think that it is fair to say that just because your HD is worth 90% of purchase that it was good value. I believe that value is more of a reflection of what your getting for the price asked.

What you have is good resale. Something that is not usually associated with value.
fireworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 02:19 PM   #227
sarnali
Founding Member

I don't know where you live, tek, but there's more than a few black Harley riders in the Puget Sound area. It doesn't seem to bother anyone here or if it does they're smart enough to keep it to themselves. This tends to be a pretty liberal area and I don't think you get the kind of overt racism you might get in other areas of the country. Besides I think there's more Asians here than any other minority group.

I know the stereotype is that black guys and gals ride sport bikes, but I don't think I'd say Harleys were a white thing, seems to be fairly open, in fact a brother I know is chomping to get a Softtail since I went and bought a Dyna.

I think the most important color is green, if you've got that yer' good to go.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 02:22 PM   #228
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley stock down over 6%

It all depends on what you want in a bike. At 6'5", I would like a sport bike, but with my long tibial length (lower leg) and the styling of most all gas tanks with the sharp lateral contours (see an R1 tank) my legs just don't fit. I sat on the new Buell Ulysses and it's one of the first bikes that actually fits, without having my legs out in front like I'm lining up for a gynecological exam. For me, it's all about FIT and the Ulysses fits the bill. Now, I have to find a way to convice my wife...
Old 10-07-2005, 02:24 PM   #229
sarnali
Founding Member

WAIT a TIC!!!! I went and spent a fortune on conchos, tassels, armchaps and doo rags so I could be down wit' the set.

You mean I could have just kept my regular clothes????.... Well s**t
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 09:18 PM   #230
eekadog
Founding Member

better style? HD makes the classiest and best looking bikes in the business!

that new m109r is brutal (if i wanted a big/ugly suzuki it would have 4 cylinders and a ~1300cc engine), honda and kawasaki's offerings aren't much better...

i do like the yamaha's...the only things i don't like on the bike are the two giant tubes that call the right side of the engine home...

victory's are nice...however I don't think the styling will be timeless.
eekadog is offline   Reply With Quote