Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 10-07-2005, 09:38 AM   #211
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley Stock Down Over Six Percent

Just because you ride a Harley doesn't mean you have to hang with that crowd or look like that.

I certainly don't and I've owned H-Ds for almost ten years now.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-07-2005, 09:40 AM   #212
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default If H-D is reading

It's time to firm up the Geezer Glide chassis just like you did with the Dyna chassis.

And start putting the Brembos on everything!
Old 10-07-2005, 09:46 AM   #213
Fenton
Founding Member

Do you have the "Lone Wolf" t-shirt.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 09:47 AM   #214
Fenton
Founding Member

I guess that required on of these: "?"
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 10:02 AM   #215
Buzglyd
Founding Member

No I was the first one with the "If you can read this the ***** fell off" shirt.

I have to admit some of those shirts will get you noticed....just not for your good taste.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:02 AM   #216
edward44
Founding Member

Yep, 13 years old and it'll have your "Sport"ster for lunch.
edward44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 10:10 AM   #217
smithrob75
Founding Member

Default Re: value

Perhaps but the Goldwing is 1800cc and makes a lot more HP ans TQ. Also the weight differences in Moto GP are rather small between 2-3-4-and 5 cyl bikes, whereas I would consider the difference between a 92ci bike and a 160ci bike HUGE !!

Also I never quite though it was fair that liq- cooled 4's were limited to 600cc, liq-cooled 2 cyl were limited to 750cc, but the air cooled twins were allowed to go all the way to 1350cc. I mean even w/o a displacement advantage a twin can be better for racing such as being able to roll on the power quicker while leaned over.

Also Harley is a huge company with deep pockets and Ducati is very small. If a Ducati V-twin can compete w/ 4 cylinder bikes of the same displacement I see no reason a Harley couldn't be able to.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:12 AM   #218
smithrob75
Founding Member

Default Re: value

BTW the 600cc, 750cc, and 1350cc comparison was in AMA Formula Xtreme.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:34 AM   #219
agrantz
Registered Member

I agree with jvbruce's comment "I wouldn't buy one for the simple fact that I'd find myself associated with a bunch of followers dressed in leather chaps and skull caps". For those individuals, who don't want to be associated with a "pre-packaged image", Harley ownership is very unappealing. Harley's strength is also it's greatest weakness. It's version of brand loyalty encompasses much more than the machine - it defines the image of the owner. I, for one, don't want to be one of 100,000+ Willie Nelson clones, so if I ever do get interested in a cruiser, it won't be a Harley. I buy motorcycles (and I've bought quite a few) based on the functionality of the machine. I'll define my own image, thank you - and not let some group do it for me.
agrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 10:43 AM   #220
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: Message to Longride

There is no harm, of course. I think the whole H-D phenomenon is facinating. But to deny that there is a very vocal and/or influential group of H-D owners and dealers--majority or not-- that actively and passively promote exclusion seems to be a bit of wishful thinking. This doesn't apply to Longride or Buz or Neal or the many knowledgable and open-minded H-D owners out there, some of whom I know or met. But the reputation didn't materialize from nothingness. Is it exaggerated like all stereotypes? Probably, but there's a good deal of truth there, too.

An example: My future sister-in-law, who has next to zero knowledge about motorcycles, used to ride pillion semi-regularly with her cousin, a lifetime H-D owner. She occasionally asks me questions like "How come you don't ride a Harley? or "When are you going to get a real bike?" She doesn't even know which lever does what, but she's been programed the H-D way and it's really obnoxious.

My theory is that some people who are passionate about motorcycling might think that H-D is making a cartoon out of it. Or at the very least, they've been a primary style-maker in this country for years--and many of us just don't see ourselves in the H-D mold. I have to admit that I cringe when someone refers to me as a "biker."

I understand why some people love H-Ds and that's just peachy with me. And I can see how an H-D owner would get defensive when reading this thread. There were some unfair comments on both sides.

But let's not pretend that the company can do no wrong. Like all companies, they will make mistakes. And maybe H-D has been pushing its luck a little. To many, they become overwhelming and insufferable--without enough substance to back it up. You can argue whether that's real or percieved, but all that's really important is the perception. Sad but true.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote