Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 10-06-2005, 06:00 PM   #171
Hutchinator
Founding Member

Default Re: Do you hate HD?

1st - I'm not in to the whole Harley image, I just like the bikes. Only harley shirt I have was a present. And its not just HD I'm for, its American companies in general.

2nd - Should we look at how many workers Harley puts into it's store in Korea and other locations as part of this comparison?

3rd - Eyes open, I have my bias for my reasons. I know it's not a 'pure' brand, but pretty much nothing is. Factored in to my decison is support, price, engine, and brand, etc. When close, US companies win out.

From the sounds of it, you're the one blinded: "The evil, dinosaur motor company" and all.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-06-2005, 06:06 PM   #172
fireworks
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley stock down over 6%

It was pretty cool. But I don't want anything with forward controls. The V-rod chassis seems to have been designed to have a low seat height, and long wheelbase, period.

Take the Street Rod, to me that just doesn't work. If you look at the Sportster, it can do both forward, and mid controls because the chassis size is good for both. I don't think Harley ever planned on using the V-rod chassis with anything other than forward controls.
fireworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 06:21 PM   #173
mesoglea
Founding Member

Default Re: value

Hey Neal, sorry to say it but your info is so last century.

HD makes one thing, bikes. Therefore they should make the best because that is all they do. But they donÂ’t.

Want to know why the Japanese blown the bolts off of HD? They grew up and branched out into other things. They make cars, F1 race engines, robots, prime mover diesel engines, power equipment, outboard motors, personal watercraft, ATVs, dirt bikes, musical instruments, fleet vehicles, electronics, turbines and even an aircraft. All that experience crosses to one another and they can use the tech from the F1 motors on the passenger cars and the jet engine tech on the bikes. Have you any clue about the metallurgy required to design a turbofan jet engine? Its not just iron, there is some exotic materials used to create those engineering marvels.

After 100 years, HD still makes only bikes.

you wrote "Harley made a brave but POORLY MANAGED ATTEMPT to compete in road racing with the VR1000 before finally GIVING UP" You see, poorly managed and giving up are like saying, "We suck and we are not good enough to compete in the racing world that is dominated by the those horrible import bikes." Oh yeah, you said failed effort in there too.

The VROD, what a insane bike! So the bike that couldnÂ’t was used to design the VROD? ThatÂ’s encouraging! Japan has been making that bike since 1985, itÂ’s called the V Max. "V"ROD, whoÂ’s copying who?

Evolve, or die

mesoglea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 06:54 PM   #174
drthompson65
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley Stock Down Over Six Percent

Like everyone I'm sad to see it happen but they have been sticking it to people for years and it finally caught them. Also like everyone I would love to have a Harley for a second bike. I'm looking at a cruiser to add to my stable but it's going to be a Victory..
2004 Ducati 999 Mono Yellow (Wrecked May 06)
2006 Ducati 999S Mono Black (Replaced Wife June 06)

1972-2000 A collection of mini, dirt, and road bikes to vast too list..
drthompson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 07:08 PM   #175
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: value

the Suzuki is allowed two extra cylinders. A little unfair...I'd say so.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 08:02 PM   #176
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Time to wake up and smell the coffee GPTB

Excellent Post djamora. Great summary of the problem. Time to wake up and smell the coffee GPTB.
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 08:21 PM   #177
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default No replacement for displacement

Buz you know the rule "There is no replacement for displacement". Seems like the V-Rod is getting the big advantage here... Check out Pinks on SpeedTV.com. The V-Rod even got a head start and old Suzuki easily won...
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 08:24 PM   #178
mesoglea
Founding Member

Default unfair

The all powerful American Thunder scared of two extra cylinders? ThatÂ’s heresy!
mesoglea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 08:55 PM   #179
sanfrdnsun
Registered Member

Default Re: Harley stock down over 6%

Sam...sad thing is, the Suzuki dealer i use to work for in high school here is like you describe the HD dealer.

Paul
sanfrdnsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 01:05 AM   #180
edward44
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley Stock Down Over Six Percent

Yam '92 FZR600---Vance & Hanes Special Edition #596; resplendent in black,rose, and yellow.

Ya can't miss it.
edward44 is offline   Reply With Quote