Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Harley-Davidson News

Old 10-06-2005, 04:37 PM   #161
maxriderdon
Founding Member

Default Re: Do you hate HD?

That's what I figured, no matter how much HD farms out to China and others, no matter how many American workers Honda and other put to work in good paying jobs. Just because Japan gets some $, you refuse to open your eyes. BTW - Where do you think all those Mikuni carbs came from? Ride a VRod? Hope you got a metric set of tools. Oh, and look down, take a look at the label in your shoes, or Harley boots, where are they made? Them HD big wigs love you folks with your HD blinders on.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-06-2005, 04:41 PM   #162
Neal
Founding Member

Default Re: value

Well I hate to put some facts into your argument but HD did not stop racing in the 60's because they couldnt beat Brit parallel twins. In the sixties the AMA Grand national championship was determine d by a combination of Dirt track/Tt and roadrace and HD won almost all the championships doing pretty well in roadrace. HD won 5 of the 10 Daytona 200's from 1960 through 1969. It wasnt until the British Twins and Honda 4's(and then japanese 2 strokes) came along that HD faded out of roadracing. **** Mann won the Daytona 200 on 70 and 71 on a Honda and a BSA triple. Wecan go into all kind of arguments regarding rules that favored HD but get your facts straight.Don Emde won the 72 Daytona on a Yamaha 2-stroke which started a long run of Yamaha 2-stroke domination of American road racing which ran both HD and BSA/Triumph out of the game. Even then,Harley kept winning enough dirt track and TT's to stay in racing and win quite a few GN championships. When AMA made Superbike the prmiere road race class and eventually converted the Grand National series to TT and dirttrack only in the 80's Harley continued to dominate the GN series(winning most of the Championships) but since they were the bad financial years HD didnt try to compete in the Roadrace (Superbike )series. They did however compete in one of the support classes of the day(Battle of the Twins) and did pretty well winning some races and a couple championships with "Lucifer's Hammer", an XR1000 motor in one of Cal rayborn's old XR750 chassis---racing against Ducatis,Moto Guzzis etc. You may not care about all this history but if you dont have your facts, dont use history to make your point. By the way HD has remained successful in Dirt Track to the present day dominating mile events and doing well in Half mile. Oh and far from "sulking to this day" Harley made a brave but poorly managed attempt to compete in road racing wityh the VR1000 before finally giving up......such well known racers as Miguel Duhamel,Doug Chandler and Scott Russell were part of this failed effort Oh and while you being schooled dont forget that some of the lessons learned from the VR1000 project were used in development of the VROD motor

You're welcome
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 04:47 PM   #163
maxriderdon
Founding Member

That isn't exactly saying much now is it? Credit where it's due, the newer motors are far more reiable than the total junk made a few years ago, but compared to what we could have they are sadly lacking.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:49 PM   #164
Neal
Founding Member

Sorry to sound theatrical but my business is flight test and sloppy thought kills...for real. I tend to let my professional disdain for poor thought processes spill over to my personal life and you are right ,I shouldnt. Sloppy thought is a legitimate staple of this forum and you are indeed a forum stalwart.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 05:36 PM   #165
smithrob75
Founding Member

Default Re: Pinks

I saw pinks. That guy was even given a head start and 20 minutes to cool off.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:37 PM   #166
smithrob75
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley quality too good for it's own good

I think they should put that V-Rod Destroyer 1300cc motor in the Street Rod.

A 160 ho street rod seems like a good start.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:42 PM   #167
djamora
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley Stock Down Over Six Percent

Well, let me comment! I ride a GSXR1000! Why? I like the style and that it represents pure performance, engineering, exotic materials, quality and a reasonable price. Hay, i make very good income and I'm not about to blow it on half-assed workmanship, poor engineering, and cheap materials for an unjustifiable sum. Oh, to add experience, I have ridden a modern Harley, several in fact (Softail Duce, Nightrain, Fatboy) and can't get over the underwhelming performance of the motor, poor riding dynamics, and the worst breaks I've ever used, and that dammed clutch lever stiffness. I’v also ridden Ducatie’s, Yamaha’s, Kawaaki’s, and Honda’s of sport and curser kind. You want to talk about experience, what have you ridden? The only attribute the Harley has that's inviting is the very comfortable ergonomics. I've ridden the Japanese cruisers too and they lack in many areas, but they still cost less, have better build quality, and the dealers won’t gauge you on price. Come on! To rest our laurels on the fact it's American is dimwitted. I myself would love to buy American but don't have a viable choice. HD has the resources to make great products for those who like the old school and for those who demand a better product. Your argument is the very reason why HD is starting to decline and will continue to do so, until they realize that they must compete with the global market or die. This is not only a problem with HD but American industry as a whole. Look at GM and Ford slowly slipping in market share to their global competitors. Wake up, smell the coffee, and get off your arrogant ass. Laugh all you want, but no one cares and those with buying power will truly have the last laugh!
djamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 05:47 PM   #168
smithrob75
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley Stock Down Over Six Percent

That's why you don't sell them. You need to ride them till they can't be ridden anymore.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:49 PM   #169
smithrob75
Founding Member

Default Re: value

The reason Harley wins in drag racing is because they're allowed 160ci as opposed to 92ci on the Suzuki's. A little unfair.. I'd say so.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:54 PM   #170
fireworks
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley stock down over 6%

Obviously, I commented on them earlier. But I don't like the styling to much, and I think that they'd be too small for what I want.

At the risk of sounding like a ***** I don't want a Buell; I want a Revolution powered Sportster, with the Sportster price. That would be a lot closer to what I'd be looking for.

Also, I think Harley/Buell should produce a sports bike in the Aprilla Mille/Ducati 999 mold.

The current Buell's are cool, but I don't think they appeal to a lot of people. If a 999 sold for the same price as a Fireblade how many 999's would Ducati sell? To the best of my knowlege, Buell's are within spitting distance of Fireblade prices, and they aren't exactly flying off the show floors. Blame it on the engine if you want, but I think there is more to it than that.
fireworks is offline   Reply With Quote